Peter Roebuck dead.

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
filthy2

Peter Roebuck dead.

Post by filthy2 »

:( Bloody hell :shock:

Love listening to him and Maxwell and KK over the summer..... RIP

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-13/p ... ve/3663176
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Re: Peter Roebuck dead.

Post by tonysoprano »

you are kidding! was listening to him on Friday night!

didn't always agree with him - but certainly respected him.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I was reading somewhere that he had been interviewed by police earlier in the day - any truth in that?

Either way - tragic loss to a genre that is losing its eloquence with every passing year. A really fantastic cricket journalist
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

I always read his articles. Apart from when he got into Symonds and Co over the racism in the Aus v India test in Sydney.
That was rubbish writing. I have enjoyed his articles. I read his one this morning in todays Age and then heard he had passed. Couldn't believe it.
filthy2

Post by filthy2 »

:(

And suddenly, impossibly, he is no more. In the small hours of yesterday morning, in the foyer of a hotel in Newlands, while police and forensic experts went about their business, there was a wake. It consisted of Maxwell, Drew Morphett, Geoff Lawson, this reporter and another. We talked about the part of his life we knew, because about Roebuck, everyone knew only a part. We babbled, really, because we didn't understand. We never will. But dimly, we already knew this: that covering cricket will never be the same again

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/crick ... z1dcLAb4Zq
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Very strange goings on here
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

I think there may be a few skeletons in Mr Roebucks closet. People don't just jump out of a 6th floor window when there is a police officer in the room.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BERT wrote:I think there may be a few skeletons in Mr Roebucks closet. People don't just jump out of a 6th floor window when there is a police officer in the room.
Sorry, but 6 floors is not that high (about 18M) - you are taking a risk that this kind of fall may not do the job? Very odd
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Windy_Hill wrote:
BERT wrote:I think there may be a few skeletons in Mr Roebucks closet. People don't just jump out of a 6th floor window when there is a police officer in the room.
Sorry, but 6 floors is not that high (about 18M) - you are taking a risk that this kind of fall may not do the job? Very odd
It would work with a decent diving technique..
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Windy_Hill wrote:
A six storey fall will kill you, don't worry about that. You can fall a metre onto pavement and die, 18m will certainly do it.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Windy_Hill wrote:
A body falling from 18 metres would hit the ground at almost 20 metres/second, or around 70/kmh. How would you rate your chances if you were loaded into a human slingshot and projected into a reinforced steel wall at 70/kmh? I am not a ballistics expert but i suspect that would be more than sufficient to be lethal almost every time, unless someone was to land in a fortunate position.

One of my younger brother's mates tried to climb up a balcony whilst drunk about a month ago. He lost his footing, fell about 2.5 metres and his head took a majority of the impact on the hard surface below. He's been in an induced coma since the incident, is considered extremely lucky to be alive, and almost certainly is going to have significant permanent impairment. The human body is a fragile thing.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
A body falling from 18 metres would hit the ground at almost 20 metres/second, or around 70/kmh. How would you rate your chances if you were loaded into a human slingshot and projected into a reinforced steel wall at 70/kmh? I am not a ballistics expert but i suspect that would be more than sufficient to be lethal almost every time, unless someone was to land in a fortunate position.

One of my younger brother's mates tried to climb up a balcony whilst drunk about a month ago. He lost his footing, fell about 2.5 metres and his head took a majority of the impact on the hard surface below. He's been in an induced coma since the incident, is considered extremely lucky to be alive, and almost certainly is going to have significant permanent impairment. The human body is a fragile thing.
Absolutely!

Just remind me at what height did David Hookes "fall"?

It's all about the landing and the surface in which you fall upon.
Essendunny
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

He fell onto an awning, so not the full six stories. But whatever he hit, it obviously did the job.

You have to wonder what was going on in his life in that exact moment for him to decide that the one-way trip out the window was the best option.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

dom_105 wrote:He fell onto an awning, so not the full six stories. But whatever he hit, it obviously did the job.

You have to wonder what was going on in his life in that exact moment for him to decide that the one-way trip out the window was the best option.
Sounds like karma came to visit and has taken the cowards way out.
Essendunny
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

As I said elsewhere:

I often thought his writing during summer (when there was plenty of coverage) was wanky shit - and he flip-flopped/held contradictory views at times - but he was very insightful and amazingly knowledgeable about the game. Definitely respected his writing when simply writing about the cricket. :(
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
boris
On the Rookie List

Post by boris »

SO Sad. Enjoyed listening to him.

guess that'll be stumps.
RIP.
electrickery
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Bloke did a lot of good.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/dre ... 1nfss.html
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/roe ... 1nfmw.html

Missed not just for his journalism.

Being super critical of Mugabe whilst working in Zimbabwe must take some serious balls too.
filthy2

Post by filthy2 »

Disgusting filth from a piece of subterranean excrement.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/roe ... 6196061091

:x