Rookie Parenting Mistake

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Rookie Parenting Mistake

Post by ealesy »

The almost 4-year-old refuse to wear a nappy to bed tonight.

Not a major issue, she is usually okay, and she went to toilet before going to sleep and said she did both wees and poos.

Anyway she goes to sleep, a little while later my wife walks past the room and said that it smelt like poo in there. Wasn't sure why, but figured that the 18 month old who was sleeping in their has had an upset tummy, so figure he needed a nappy change. Check him and he is fine.

At that stage I notice the 6-year-old who is also sleeping in their was looking cold because her younger sister had stolen all the blankets.

So I go to grab the blanket to cover her and discover that what can only be described a poomageddon. It is all over the almost 4 year old's butt, legs, back, tummy, all over the sheets.

Eventually get it all cleaned up and the almost 4 year old is outraged that I make her put a freakin nappy on.

So that is my glamourous parenting story for the day.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Re: Rookie Parenting Mistake

Post by ealesy »

There was also the bit where she got some on her hand, so wiped her hand on my shirt.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

btdt. Good on the kid for wanting to progress. Give some credit for the effort then ....

Give 'em two firm options only.
1. the one you want, OR
2. the one they don't want.

To that end offer a deal. 5 clean nights in a row and no nappy for you. However, nappy for five nights if more accidents. They learn quick when given options to suit their wants. The number of nights is at your discretion of course, aiming for some realistic balance.

Good luck.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Oh Poo Ealesy.

That's one hell of a Bummer! :-"
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

We have the opposite problem. 4 and a half, will not poo in the toilet. Poos like clock-work in a nappy, about 5 min after lights out. He doesn't even have accidents during the day.

It is a battle of wills pure and simple and we are losing... :(
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

wish I could give some advice, but every kid is different and what works for one may not for another...

We tried incentives, rewards, punishments, etc...but still if our son is focussed on doing something won't stop to go :?
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Sismis wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:48 am We have the opposite problem. 4 and a half, will not poo in the toilet. Poos like clock-work in a nappy, about 5 min after lights out. He doesn't even have accidents during the day.

It is a battle of wills pure and simple and we are losing... :(
Patience.

Remove the nappy when at home? "It's time for you to not use the nappy any more." Take him shopping for a pair of jocks that he gets to choose. Don't growl at further accidents 'cause that might be a bit of a test. Don't go back though..he wins.

You need a plan and understand it takes time. Hmmm, maybe avoid rewarding the "action" (by rushing in to change him) Wait a while....longer. He'll be noisy...persist!!!

It is a game of wills, but breaking an habitual habit is key. Appeal to something he might want. Plant a seed in his mind, eg with him in the room, talk amongst yourselves about how wonderful he's been lately and that when he can evacuate before bed will show how's he's getting all smart and grown up! Maybe mention how his friends or cousins etc have all progressed from where he's still at. There is peer pressure at that age! It's different, but it's there.

Reward him when it works.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

He wears undies all the time except for bed. He hasn't had an accident in months. He goes to the toilet to pee by himself.

He just will not poo in it! The irony is not lost in what a little shit he is being!
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

The next step then - undies at night. There'll be inconvenience. Short term pain, long term gain?
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

F111 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:52 am The next step then - undies at night. There'll be inconvenience. Short term pain, long term gain?
Sigh, it probably is. He will do it in his undies in bed rather than go to the toilet, the couple of times we have tried it, so we haven't persisted with it. Kids are so gross.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Sismis wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:56 am Kids are so gross.
You got that right. :lol:
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

Sismis wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:56 am
F111 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:52 am The next step then - undies at night. There'll be inconvenience. Short term pain, long term gain?
Sigh, it probably is. He will do it in his undies in bed rather than go to the toilet, the couple of times we have tried it, so we haven't persisted with it. Kids are so gross.
Must be love.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.