Dr Who

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
User avatar
boncer34
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 8777
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Dr Who

Post by boncer34 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:40 pm

So using my definition you could argue they are doing it to ensure that women don't feel left out by having never had a Doctor played by a woman. (Though aren't there main female characters?)

Moving on with that theory you could then potentially argue that if in fact women don't feel left out by Dr Who and they've done this to appease this mythical feeling of being left out that they are being PC for the sake of being PC.

IE they're appeasing women when there is no actual reason to do it other then to be seen doing it.

Though I haven't actually watched Dr Who and couldn't care if the Doctor was a woman or man so this is all hypothetical fun.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 6489
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:51 pm
Location: Sydney (Don't hold it against me)
Contact:

Re: Dr Who

Post by Crazyman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:03 pm

I said they were pc by doing it.
No mention of you, whether you watch it or even if you care so not sure what your point is... :?

Sismis
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 12831
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:16 am

Re: Dr Who

Post by Sismis » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:53 am

boncer34 wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:40 pm
So using my definition you could argue they are doing it to ensure that women don't feel left out by having never had a Doctor played by a woman. (Though aren't there main female characters?)

Moving on with that theory you could then potentially argue that if in fact women don't feel left out by Dr Who and they've done this to appease this mythical feeling of being left out that they are being PC for the sake of being PC.

IE they're appeasing women when there is no actual reason to do it other then to be seen doing it.
You're very good on the definitions. You can have an A for defining PC for the sake of PC. So using that definition, if they have done this for any reasons other than "appeasing women when there is no actual reason to do it other then to be seen doing it." OR if say there was an actual to imbalance in gender roles, then it wouldn't be "for the sake of being PC" would it?

Also if you think having a female sidekick adresses the same issue, maybe look up the Bechdel test.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 6431
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: Dr Who

Post by grassy1 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:24 pm

Gee,must have got a good price for the snip in Gallifrey.What's the going price for Time Lords of his Rank?Or did he make it disappear on regeneration? :lol:

User avatar
boncer34
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 8777
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Dr Who

Post by boncer34 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:23 am

Crazyman wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:03 pm
I said they were pc by doing it.
No mention of you, whether you watch it or even if you care so not sure what your point is... :?
I was bored. Leave me alone. :lol:
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

User avatar
boncer34
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 8777
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Dr Who

Post by boncer34 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:24 am

Sismis wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:53 am
boncer34 wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:40 pm
So using my definition you could argue they are doing it to ensure that women don't feel left out by having never had a Doctor played by a woman. (Though aren't there main female characters?)

Moving on with that theory you could then potentially argue that if in fact women don't feel left out by Dr Who and they've done this to appease this mythical feeling of being left out that they are being PC for the sake of being PC.

IE they're appeasing women when there is no actual reason to do it other then to be seen doing it.
You're very good on the definitions. You can have an A for defining PC for the sake of PC. So using that definition, if they have done this for any reasons other than "appeasing women when there is no actual reason to do it other then to be seen doing it." OR if say there was an actual to imbalance in gender roles, then it wouldn't be "for the sake of being PC" would it?

Also if you think having a female sidekick adresses the same issue, maybe look up the Bechdel test.
Well yeah but I wasn't arguing one way or the other really Sis.

Just offering an explanation as to how it could be PC for the sake of being PC.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 23819
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Dr Who

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:25 am

Political correctness has become a profession for those seeking to be offended.

We are considered, I presume, to be politically incorrect by some sections of the community because it is their agenda.

They love to find something wrong with every single attitude you might have about anything in life. It is a profession sweeping around the world.
Well said John Newman.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

Sismis
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 12831
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:16 am

Re: Dr Who

Post by Sismis » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:40 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:25 am
Political correctness has become a profession for those seeking to be offended.

We are considered, I presume, to be politically incorrect by some sections of the community because it is their agenda.

They love to find something wrong with every single attitude you might have about anything in life. It is a profession sweeping around the world.
Well said John Newman.
:lol:

User avatar
rockhole
Club Captain
Posts: 4689
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:31 am
Location: La Grange

Re: Dr Who

Post by rockhole » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:13 pm

When in doubt, follow the money!!

I reckon that the decision was made to broaden the audience rather than appease Political Correctness.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest