Corona

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Corona

Post by Crazyman »

Aside from wanting a six pack with a wedge of lime, I just don’t get it.

Stats just don’t back up the hysteria.

Let’s say this ‘wildfire’ spreads and infects 100 in 1,000,000 people.

That is 0.001% of the population.

Of this upto 5% would be deemed at greater risk (elderly and pre existing conditions)
Of this 5% the mortality rate is about 3-5%

Let’s stop the nonsense. Shop online and isolate yourself if you get it and let the rest of us get on with life.

Also to prop up the economy, let’s get the government to subsidise regional holidays. Give evidence of trips and get a rebate. Pump money into the economy and better yet help those in regional communities get up and running again..,
nudder12
Club Captain

Re: Corona

Post by nudder12 »

I'm on the "less hysterical" side of the Coronavirus discussion, but it's a fair bit more serious than you've suggested.
The infection rate is somewhere between 30 - 70% of the population (from memory).
The death rate for elderly, and people with other complications is something like 15%.
Left rampant, that's one heck of a lot of sick (and possibly dead) people.
Not sure I agree with everything being done (or not done) to tackle it, but I do think it's a pretty serious thing.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

It’s Serious alright,but it gets a bit depressing hearing all the bad news arising from it.

Call me cynical,but do you think the Mainstream Media get a kick out of all these Corona Stories regurgitating all the time?

I’d hate to think what they’d do with themselves if a Vaccine stopped this Virus in it’s Tracks!

Even if a cure is still a fair way off,They don’t talk much about the Virologists’ progress on producing a Vaccine,do they?

Almost as though they are forbidden to talk about that.But they love telling us about those Shopping Centre Panic Buys,whilst Tut tutting from above!

Spare me! :roll: :-&
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Thanks for the Report tonight,Sophie Scott.

Be it from Seattle,or the Doherty Institute,I felt much better.

Then I saw the Economic let down,...........

Thanks Andrew(Probyn),..............🤮🤢💩 :roll:
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

nudder12 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:17 pm I'm on the "less hysterical" side of the Coronavirus discussion, but it's a fair bit more serious than you've suggested.
The infection rate is somewhere between 30 - 70% of the population (from memory).
The death rate for elderly, and people with other complications is something like 15%.
Not sure I agree with everything being done (or not done) to tackle it, but I do think it's a pretty serious thing.
You need to check your numbers mate.

Even at the bottom end of your scale (30%) you’re saying about 8mil Australians will get Corona...

Puhleeese....we would be unlucky to have 10% of that at its peak.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

........and(tempting Fate,jeez :roll: ),we all hope none of us are that 10%,touch wood! [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

For most of us, it’s just a mild illness. For some of us, it can be a severe illness with a potential to be fatal.

I really can’t understand the current global reaction. SARS (volume 1) was much worse than this (10% fatality rate), but we didn’t see the world go into lockdown. SARS (volume 2) is currently 4% fatality rate.

We are forcing businesses to close, but allow f****** madness in supermarkets. If you want to catch the f****** disease, go to the supermarket!
Essendunny
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

BenDoolan wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:33 pm For most of us, it’s just a mild illness. For some of us, it can be a severe illness with a potential to be fatal.

I really can’t understand the current global reaction. SARS (volume 1) was much worse than this (10% fatality rate), but we didn’t see the world go into lockdown. SARS (volume 2) is currently 4% fatality rate.

We are forcing businesses to close, but allow f****** madness in supermarkets. If you want to catch the f****** disease, go to the supermarket!
SARS 1 was contained relatively early. The Toronto experience saw patients, HCW's and the HCW's family members dying. ~8000 infected, ~780 died.
Compare that to North Italy. Almost 102000 infected, ~11600 dead...in 6 weeks.
Spain is on the rise, NY & New Orleans too.

How they let Mardi Gras continue is unbelievable. Whoever made that decision has the dead on their hands...hundreds.

The USA is >150K infected. <3K deaths, but it's early. Watch that number rise.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Yep,they should have cancelled that.

To think of the people massing around New Orleans this year,doesn’t bear thinking about.

Same with the Rio Carnival(and other Brazilian Festivities)if that went ahead?
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Crazyman wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:27 am
nudder12 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:17 pm I'm on the "less hysterical" side of the Coronavirus discussion, but it's a fair bit more serious than you've suggested.

Even at the bottom end of your scale (30%) you’re saying about 8mil Australians will get Corona...

The infection rate supposes no action taken to reduce infections. Clearly, social distancing etc will reduce that, and is being directed because of the potential contagion rate.
SARS had a mortality rate of approx 10%
MERS had a mortality rate of approx 34%.
But....SARS infected only 8,000 people worldwide. And MERS infected 2,500 people worldwide.
Given that COVID-19 has 800,000 confirmed cases to date, and 40,000 deaths, I'd say it is pretty serious.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

nudder12 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:49 am

The infection rate supposes no action taken to reduce infections. Clearly, social distancing etc will reduce that, and is being directed because of the potential contagion rate.
But....SARS infected only 8,000 people worldwide. And MERS infected 2,500 people worldwide.
Given that COVID-19 has 800,000 confirmed cases to date, and 40,000 deaths, I'd say it is pretty serious.
Here's a moving chart of coronavirus death numbers in the U.S. compared to other causes of death. Worth viewing.
https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1712761/
Last edited by nudder12 on Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

nudder12 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:53 am
nudder12 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:49 am

Here's a moving chart of infections in the U.S. compared to other causes of death. Worth viewing.
https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1712761/
And another showing infection rates.
https://twitter.com/MontyBoa99/status/1 ... 49768?s=20

Like I said, I'm not really alarmist about this, but the stats should suggest everyone takes it seriously.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

[start rant]

Never heard so much rubbish in all my life!

Covid19 IS the new bubonic plague

• There IS no effective treatment
  • There IS no vaccine
  • You can have it, be asymptomatic and be spreading it
  • Look at Italy
  • Look at Spain.
  • Look at the UK
  • Look at the US
  • Despite older people being the most vulnerable, it is also indiscriminately killing young otherwise healthy people
Hello Australia is a island continent.We had a chance to keep this sucker completely out but we kept flights and cruises going too long and cowtowed to our total reliance on China.

Despite that, I love every draconian measure we've been forced to live by. This is the only way this plague can be stopped. Basically stop contact between people and you stop the spread.

I think that most Aussies agree and are sticking all the measures to flatten the curve.
  • Morrison is better now than he was on this.
  • Dan Andrews is premier you want.
  • Dont believe anything the Chinese govt says
  • Trump is a complete imbecile
  • The world will be a completely different place when this is over.
  • When its WAR you need a non market command economy
[/list]

Stay safe and ride this out.

[/end rant]
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

MH_Bomber wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:15 am [start rant]

Never heard so much rubbish in all my life!

Covid19 IS the new bubonic plague

• There IS no effective treatment
  • There IS no vaccine
  • You can have it, be asymptomatic and be spreading it
  • Look at Italy
  • Look at Spain.
  • Look at the UK
  • Look at the US
  • Despite older people being the most vulnerable, it is also indiscriminately killing young otherwise healthy people
Hello Australia is a island continent.We had a chance to keep this sucker completely out but we kept flights and cruises going too long and cowtowed to our total reliance on China.

Despite that, I love every draconian measure we've been forced to live by. This is the only way this plague can be stopped. Basically stop contact between people and you stop the spread.

I think that most Aussies agree and are sticking all the measures to flatten the curve.
  • Morrison is better now than he was on this.
  • Dan Andrews is premier you want.
  • Dont believe anything the Chinese govt says
  • Trump is a complete imbecile
  • The world will be a completely different place when this is over.
  • When its WAR you need a non market command economy
[/list]

Stay safe and ride this out.

[/end rant]
I used to have this strange wish of wanting to hibernate during winter. This wish has finally come true #-o

I have said elsewhere, the virus doesn't move. People move the virus. If people stop moving, the virus stops moving. Then it dies.

Dan Andrews has been outstanding. Very impressed with his leadership.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Any opinions on how Peter Dutton has handled this?

Flip?Hang on,not here! 8) :twisted:

I’ll settle for Crikey instead!