Covid

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Re: Covid

Post by boncer34 »

Turns out maybe Benny and I were right. :lol: :wink:
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

boncer34 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:41 am Turns out maybe Benny and I were right. :lol: :wink:
About us getting it?Gee Bonce,you got us there.

It STILL didn’t have to be that way.

We had it Sooooooooo Good last year.Why did we literally invite it in.And it over yet,not very a long shot.

Just hope and prey the new Omicron Strain doesn’t get Nasty,….before we get a 4th Shot.

It’s life a Misery for guys in Disability Services.A whole range of Activities Cancelled until further notice,no interaction with the Public,House Lockdowns,having to relate to Staff dressed in Full PPE Gear,with little personal interaction.

Yep,that’s Living with Covid for ya!

f*** Me!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

grassy1 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:44 pm
boncer34 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:41 am Turns out maybe Benny and I were right. :lol: :wink:
About us getting it?Gee Bonce,you got us there.

It STILL didn’t have to be that way.

We had it Sooooooooo Good last year.Why did we literally invite it in.And it over yet,not very a long shot.

Just hope and prey the new Omicron Strain doesn’t get Nasty,….before we get a 4th Shot.

It’s life a Misery for guys in Disability Services.A whole range of Activities Cancelled until further notice,no interaction with the Public,House Lockdowns,having to relate to Staff dressed in Full PPE Gear,with little personal interaction.

Yep,that’s Living with Covid for ya!

f*** Me!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Yes it did.

Even Hong Kong gave up. You can't keep it out forever.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Hong Kong has 5 Million people more than Perth and a lot more of an enclosed population.

Our’s is spread out!

Bit of a difference there,though I guess with Omicron.

What do you make our International Border moves?Don’t you think that’s asking for trouble?
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

grassy1 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:07 pm Hong Kong has 5 Million people more than Perth and a lot more of an enclosed population.

Our’s is spread out!

Bit of a difference there,though I guess with Omicron.

What do you make our International Border moves?Don’t you think that’s asking for trouble?
In a way it’s bunded. Plus you could also expect the virus to weaken as boosters / vaccines build immunity. Hiding forever won’t work. Activate, vaccinate, do not hibernate.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Geez mate,you’d hope it would weaken,bit by bit.

You just hope and prey it doesn’t take one last nasty turn.You’d hope each Booster does the job,otherwise we’re f*****!

Thank f*** we didn’t go through Delta(yet).That’s when it was great for us.No Community Spread,no restrictions,no masks,footy every weekend,movies,pubs,restaurants,for everyone,life was great.

We gave that up for a very small Footstomping Minority,including f****** 7WestMedia! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:-& :-& :-& :-& :-&

With a 4th Booster available soon,a decision then has to be made by some such as Asthmatics,whether you take the Booster first,or the Flu shot as Influenza possibly may be on the rise again this year.

Whatever the Doc recommends,I go with.I’ll happily have both if he recommends it.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

grassy1 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:02 am Geez mate,you’d hope it would weaken,bit by bit.

You just hope and prey it doesn’t take one last nasty turn.You’d hope each Booster does the job,otherwise we’re f*****!

Thank f*** we didn’t go through Delta(yet).That’s when it was great for us.No Community Spread,no restrictions,no masks,footy every weekend,movies,pubs,restaurants,for everyone,life was great.

We gave that up for a very small Footstomping Minority,including f****** 7WestMedia! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:-& :-& :-& :-& :-&

With a 4th Booster available soon,a decision then has to be made by some such as Asthmatics,whether you take the Booster first,or the Flu shot as Influenza possibly may be on the rise again this year.

Whatever the Doc recommends,I go with.I’ll happily have both if he recommends it.
Well the coming winter will be quite challenging. Colds, flu, Covid. Every chance restrictions will be introduced again while the populace gets their flu and booster jabs.

Thence it is.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Covid is sinister.
We won't see restrictions/mandates etc again - that's long past and the population (generally) has accepted that - or at least learnt to put up with it.
The vaccines are largely, at this point, useless for most people. They don't prevent someone catching Covid. Or passing it on. Yes, they may prevent severe symptoms.
But here's the sinister part....
One of my adult kids (late 20's and otherwise in good health) caught covid a couple of months ago. They were fully vaxxed. They had really mild symptoms at the time.
But now, 2 months later, they've been diagnosed with hyperinflated lungs. They're quite unwell, chronic symptoms, on multiple medications, struggle breathing normally.
Early days - it may not get worse (hopefully), but do we know if it will get better? And even if it remains static, it's not a good life for them.
I have no answers, but felt like throwing this into the discussion if for no other reason than to highlight how sinister and insidious Covid is, and the longer-term effects it can have. It is not the flu.
Bottom line - collectively we need to be doing more to counter this virus. It has serious repercussions for people. My child is not an isolated example.
When Covid was first revealed the world took precautionary actions, because we didn't know what it's effects might be. But somehow we've decided it's "mild", even though the long-term effects are still unknown. How did we get to the point where we seem to not be concerned about it's potential damage to us like we did when it was first discovered?
If it turns out in 5/10/20 years time that Covid has caused a whole generation to suffer from irreversible health effects, there's going to be one heck of a reckoning. But, as always, it'll be too late, cost a lot, but not "save" a single person that suffered through it - because society was prepared to take the risk of sacrificing "others".

Before I finish my rant, let me explain in "bigger picture" terms why I'm so angry.
I am thoroughly sick and tired of our lives being sacrificed for "the economy".
Why must we have people in poverty, in ill health, homeless, just because "the economy" says they can't afford otherwise?
F**k that!! The economy is supposed to support us, not the other way around.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Well Said Nudder!

Couldn’t have put that better myself!

SPOT ON!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

tonysoprano wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:55 pm As tragic, challenging, and difficult to negotiate the last 2+ years has been in response to covid, there has never been any choice other than to eventually live with it.

Australia's vaccination rates are perhaps 2nd to none. We can really start to move on without inconsistent and arbitrary restrictions imposed by governments. WA's approach was effective and ideal in pre-vaccination days, but really McGowan's personal anxieties (as well as many others) can no longer be imposed on the rest of the population.

Most won't know they have it. Some people will get unwell. Some will need hospital treatment. Some will die from (and not just with) covid. But in the end, life for the many needs to go on (as it always does).
Really? That's your take?
No other choice than to live with it?
Some will get unwell - define unwell. Is unwell something you'd be happy to live with?
Some will need hospital treatment - how many? How inconvenient will that be for them? At what cost to them? Financially and in terms of their suffering?
Some will die - how many? Will their families be upset? Will it disrupt the lives of those that cared for them,?
Life needs to go on - NEEDS to? According to whom? What kind of life will they have? Can't everyone's life go on by virtue of everyone having care for the life of others and not just their own lives?

Honestly, your comments sound like someone who hasn't been affected by covid (good for you), but also someone that doesn't care if others are affected, because it's them, not you.

I'm not saying we all should be locked down again, but there are measures we can all take - at little personal 'cost' - that would help protect those that are, and will be, affected by covid.
I'm interested in protecting people and their health. Sounds like you're more interested in protecting "the economy". Why??
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

grassy1 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:32 am Well Said Nudder!

Couldn’t have put that better myself!

SPOT ON!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Ta Grassy.
It's pretty simple when you look at it from a human perspective.
But "the economy" is faceless, and oblivious to any individual's needs. It exists to serve "everyone" while simultaneously shunning those unable to participate in it. It aint no God.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

McGowan’s take HAD been to act on the Advice of the Chief Health Officer.

But now I hear,he’s been ignoring it and the irony of 7WestMedia now complaining about it,just about kills me.

They,more than anyone else,apart from Gareth Parker(must want his old job back)and Ollie Peterson on Channel 9 Radio(6PR),pushed McGowan’s Government Time and Again to reopen the Borders,knowing Full Well our Health System wasn’t ready for it and even writing about it.

Well,I hope they’re happy with themselves!Because the guys I work for,have no real life!Going in and out of their own Lockdown,because someone on Casual employment who needs the work,will come in when they shouldn’t and various places are back to Square one for days on end.

Sure,a few walks in the park,when out of Lockdown,keeping clear of the Public is a breath of fresh air,but everything else like Group activities has stopped.Literally shut down,with A very optimistic until further notice.Whenever that is!

If a person,not in a Lockdown House,wishes to go to Perth Arena or Stadium,they have to take Major Precautions to go and far too often,you hear accounts of members of the General Public who Selfishly refuse to mask up,putting many others in various crowded areas,at Serious Risk of contracting Omicron,so the risk to others in a person’s house,increases,making it too unsafe to mix with the Public,meaning they pay a Season’s Ticket for very little benefit.

And we practically go around in a vicious circle.That might be alright for some young Joe Blow,but hardly fair on many others!

There is No Normal Living with Covid for the Disabled.Life gets Far harder,in many ways!

What kind of Life is that?

It was so much better for all of us Western Australians last year and Thank Christ it wasn’t Delta we had to Suffer!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I guess the Ultimate Payback for Politicians and Governments who have handled this Badly,will be at the Ballot Box.For Both Major Parties!

Peter Gutwein’s Government survived a General Election and from what I remember,handled the Pandemic much better than others.I thought Stephen Marshall,who held off reopening the Border as long as he did,might survive.But his Government didn’t and they got tossed out of office.Same can happen to McGowan,if the Swinging Voter is angry enough he opened the Border,when he shouldn’t have.

Whether you guys think Andrews is in a Power of trouble over his Government’s handling is up for serious debate,but I suspect Perrotet has already had a sample of what might happen and Morrison is also in trouble,but for a whole lot of other things as well as his Government’s handling of the Pandemic.

We shall just have to wait and see!
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

WA were slow to vax, slow to get their numbers up. Maybe they felt too protected, it won't come to us? That's why they needed to delay because they wanted the vax numbers as high as possible. If they stay slow to vax the message can then be interpreted as not wanting it. Politically and business will push hard, that's an encouragement to open, take the risk because the constituents are saying they're not interested. Now that may be for a few, then there will those playing a wait and see game. They'll line up at the last minute for the vax.

By and large, vaccination is the key, despite some breakthru problems for some people. That's terribly unfortunate, as unfortunate as being one of those very few people with a lethal reaction to the vax. Long covid, brain fog, specific organ dysfunction developing to chronic disease is evolving.

WA also has the lowest numbers of hospital and ICU beds per capita in the country. That's historical too, nothing new. Coupled with a probable HCW shortage/furloughing there has been a serious fear the place would get overrun. Thankfully that's not happened.

We've seen in Australia that the vax numbers escalate when the population thinks it's close and probable, not otherwise. That makes it difficult to plan a defense against it. Those making the decisions and owning the responsibilities risk sickness and death if done wrong. I'd much prefer they were to err on the side of safety.

Make no mistake, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that we get a son of delta that's nastier. Omicron has shown to be highly transmissible but relatively mild compared to the first two more deadly strains. I hope it's coming to an end, but I know it might not be over just yet.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

What annoys me about the current Covid settings is the willingness to do away a measure that does stop the spread and that is mask wearing indoors.N95 masks do a lot.

On the trains a lot of people are not wearing masks. Do people think they are bullet proof?

The vaccines have done a lot to reduce serious disease in most that get it.

Covid isn't over. It won't be until the next generation of vaccines are developed. Those need to be sterilising vaccines that kill the bugger and stop you ever getting it again.

I will be getting my 4th dose when I am eligible. I wear masks when in enclosed places.

Sorry to hear about your situation Nudder12. Hope your son or daughter gets over these long term effects.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

MH_Bomber wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:43 pm What annoys me about the current Covid settings is the willingness to do away a measure that does stop the spread and that is mask wearing indoors.N95 masks do a lot.

On the trains a lot of people are not wearing masks. Do people think they are bullet proof?

That’s what I’m dreading on the Saturday Night Train Trip from Mandurah to Perth,next week.A whole bunch of Smug Feral Shits going into town without ‘em. :-&

The vaccines have done a lot to reduce serious disease in most that get it.

Covid isn't over. It won't be until the next generation of vaccines are developed. Those need to be sterilising vaccines that kill the bugger and stop you ever getting it again.

I will be getting my 4th dose when I am eligible. I wear masks when in enclosed places.

Sorry to hear about your situation Nudder12. Hope your son or daughter gets over these long term effects.
Same here,Nudder! [-o<