Republic please

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
Piaffe
Top Up Player

Post by Piaffe »

Personally I think the Australian people already see us as independent, it's the Australian Government that need to catch up.
I wasn't legal age to vote last time they had the vote, so I'm sure this next generation will make sure the change is made. I know even my baby boomer mum thinks it's about time.
Don't worry. It's just a matter of time now, it's coming soon. :)

Funny stuff in there too :P Ripper Womens Hospital, hahaa, I dunno about that part! :P
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

News to me that she was my Queen. f*** the Queen I say.

As for her fortune of course she isn't going to spread it around. The English royal family has been the same way for thousands of years. All they care about is riches, land and titles.

Anyone outside of England who wants to be associated with the Queen has major problems.

I don't think it's the fact that Australia is too lazy, it's the fact that they don't hate the Enlgish enough.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Australians only tend to pass the blindingly obvious referendums (like letting Aborigines vote) - referendums have something like a 1/6 strikerate of being carried. In 1999, apparently it wasn't blindingly obvious that we should become a republic.

Give it another few years, a republican Prime Minister and a republican model that people generally agree on and i personally reckon it'd be carried easily. If i remember rightly, that was the sticking point last time around - many people wanted a republic, but didn't want the republican model as it was put to them.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Back in 99, It was too complicated, too political and therefore had no chance of getting up.

As Jimmy said, it wasn't like Australia was against a republic, it was against a republic at that time, under that model.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I have reformed my opinion and am now a dedicated monachist...dedicated to the monachy of KING JAMES THE FIRST!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Referendums have never succeeded in Australia without bi-partisan support from across the political spectrum.

As long as one major party is against the idea of a republic, we will not get a referendum through.

The blase attitude suggested in the article is common due to the fact that realistically, life won't be much different when we eventually become a republic.

Some political processes will change but life as we know it will continue on.

We'll still pay taxes, the rich will continue getting richer and the poor will continue to fall behind.

Becoming a republic is no cure all for the real problems that we are facing such as drugs in society, a widening gap between the haves and have nots, global warming etc.

I'd rather they spend money on fixing those things than having another debate/referendum on the merits of becoming a republic.

In my heart, I own no allegiance to Lizzie and I don't need to be in a republic to be bale to voice that sentiment.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012