Union thugs vs Boss Thugs

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

maybe the ATO should go on a "Name and Shame" campaign against company's NOT putting in their compulsory Super.

BUT lets not water down Militant unionists who think they are "untouchable" and above the law. I have personally Seen on Many occasions Union delegates intimidate employers and employees into joining Their Union or else.

got a lovely Story about a major Union Assistant State secretary and what he tried to do ( and eventually succeeded) in getting 12 of us to join his Militant union.

Stand over tactics at it's brilliant best..... and anyone who says that that sort of tactics have...and are being stamped out.... are either very naive.. or so far out of touch with reality that they need to open their shells and experience the real world.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Filthy wrote:Actually Dodge (and Bert), I don't believe in compulsory unionism or compulsory anything in a true Democracy.

However, if you choose not to join the Union, then you should sign a waiver saying you were offered and refused and also agree NOT to take any wage increases, better working conditions etc gained by Union collective bargaining.
Effectively you do your own bargaining with the boss...one on one.... :wink:
Totally agree with you 300%
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

I would love to agree just 100% but after some thinking I find the argument compelling and clever but a bit besides the point. Sorry only 98% :wink:

I have the greatest admiration for the achievements of the union movement over the last 100+ years, however in a postindustrial economy the unions have a need to rethink themselves and their tactics. I have no sympathy for employee intimidation as a tactics, it weakens the unions long term, makes them irrelevant.
Red and Black Forever
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

The problem with "some" in the union movement is that they are using the same standover tactics. It won't work these days. It might have when there was a cause to fight for 100 years ago.

You wouldn't coach a footy team the same now as it was coached 100 years ago.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sedition Laws that have destroyed freedom of speech in the media is a far more serious problem than unionists.
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

Filthy wrote:Actually Dodge (and Bert), I don't believe in compulsory unionism or compulsory anything in a true Democracy.

However, if you choose not to join the Union, then you should sign a waiver saying you were offered and refused and also agree NOT to take any wage increases, better working conditions etc gained by Union collective bargaining.

I think most people would agree with that proposal. I'm finding it hard to gague what kind of impact the Union movement is having on the Rudd ticket. On one hand I think there is a general dislike for standover tactics from militant unionists and Kevin standing up to that is seen as a positive. But on the other hand there is a lot of anger at Mighell's removal from the ALP over colourful language.

I guess standing up to unions is the way to go for Rudd. It's not like they can put their vote anywhere else.
Bombers till' I die
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

Now I am one of the first to admit that Unions have done a hell of a lot for workers in this country, BUT I believe there is still some unionists who go over the top and believe they are Bullet proof. But then again there is a fair few empoyers who believe the same.

Rudd has realised that he can't be bullied by the unions and that some money in the campiagn coffers each year Doesn't mean they can screw business and infrastructure to the wall.