Todays Sacred Text

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Haha, classic stuff Filth! It would be funny if it weren't a sad fact. It makes you sick to read that....

ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Premature ejaculation board.....Mr Howard!!
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

This was in a classic Leunig cartoon today.

Quotes like this go to remind us just HOW wrong Howard was in going into Iraq. Howard was happily portraying the Opposition as left wing loonies at the time. I remember marching against the war at the time in Sydney. There was close to 200,000 at that rally. Howard chose to ignore the will of people. Even on the old Bombertalk website I implored some of the pro war posters or Howard apologists that the result will be a descent in civil war, mayhem and carnage and look what has happened. Why should anyone listen to the likes of Howard and Bush anymore ? They have been proven to be so fundamentally wrong and have led our respective countries into the worst foreign relations and security disaster in our histories.

The main thing that got him home last time was Latham just wasnt a guy people felt they could trust. Its a different story now. Prepare for electoral annihilation Howard. Thats if you make to it the election !!!
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

MH_Bomber wrote:Prepare for electoral annihilation Howard. Thats if you make to it the election !!!
Good point, MH. I have a sneaking suspicion if the polls continue to slide for the Libs between now and the election, that they will retire little Johnnie and put someone else in (maybe Costello but then again maybe not).
dingus
Regular Senior Player

Post by dingus »

Or little Johnny will retire himself to avoid accountability, just as he has odne his whole weaselly career.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

You could well be right, dingus. I'm sure little j would prefer to go out retiring and "almost" breaking Menzies' record, rather than be kicked out at an election.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

By 1990 no child will be living in poverty.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

BERT wrote:By 1990 no child will be living in poverty.
But that was the political statement we HAD to have
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Yes Filthy it would have been impossible to cut and paste from Leunig's cartoon and then if you try to put the link that is only valid for the day you post. But it was him at his best wasnt it. Just giving us a flashback to the kind of rhetoric they were pumping out at the time.

Two backbenchers have flown the kite on him stepping down. I reckon if enough of them start believing that they are in for electorate obliteration then they will force his hand. A lot of libs are looking at losing their seats if these polls are anywhere near accurate. The good thing for the ALP is that Costello has about as much electoral appeal as a rattle snake. Who else might step up ? Downer :) ! Abbott :) ! Nelson :D !! They are all crap.

I just wish the ALP, as you do, would stand up for democracy a bit more.
Menzie!! ❤️

Regards

MH_Bomber
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

Filthy wrote:
Bert the actual quote was "by 1990, no child need be living in poverty."

Hawkey apparently got a rush of blood when he said that according to a recent article down here you wouldn't have seen when you were in Sydney. It WAS in the Opera House speech...cut out by Morris....and Hawke threw it back in mid stride.

Anyway, those words haven't killed 600,000 people violently. :wink:
http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/ ... 83336.html
Hawke regrets child poverty comment
Email Print Normal font Large font June 16, 2007 - 6:55AM

Twenty years after pledging no Australian child would live in poverty, former prime minister Bob Hawke says his comment is one of his biggest regrets.

"It was a silly shorthand thing," Mr Hawke has told News Limited newspapers. "I should have just said what was in the distributed speech."

"We set ourselves this first goal: by 1990 no Australian child will be living in poverty," Mr Hawke said on June 23, 1987 at an election campaign launch.

The comment entered Australian political folklore after it was supposed to improve the ALP's major social welfare reform.

The printed version had it as: "By 1990 no Australian child need live in poverty."

Mr Hawke's words returned to haunt him as his pledge was impossible to keep.

About 580,000 Australian children lived in poverty in 1987, welfare groups said. Today at least 13 per cent of children, or 730,000 people, were poor, said Janet Stanley, spokeswoman for the Brotherhood of St Laurence.

"It's disappointing it's at that level, given the falling unemployment rate and the growing economy," Ms Stanley said.

Mr Hawke said his government gave more money to low-income families, but instead of spending it on their kids, some "p...ed it up against the wall".

Sorry Filth.....You'll have to concede this one..

Despite the Speech writers even trying to try and save face
Last edited by dodgey on Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

And what happened to Hawke?
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Red Herring.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Look if we're going to resort to that then what about the "never ever GST ? "

I love the way Howard supporters start dragging thing up from 17 years ago when Howard is caught red handed making a monumental mistake.

I remember arguing with you BERT on the old Bombertalk website about Iraq. Do you now acknowledge it has been a disaster ?

I get really annoyed with the way the Right try and question your patriotism because you dont agree with Iraq. Iraq was never ever a hot bed of terrorism. Its now a recruiting tool for moderates to radicalise. Who has put the war on terror in more danger ? I think the incompetence of Bush, Blair and Howard has put the War on Terror back about 30 years.
Menzie!! ❤️

Regards

MH_Bomber
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Hockey....someone will have to de-program him from saying "Union bosses" every 10 seconds.

Julie Bishop....someone take that stick out her arse so she can close her eyes a bit more.
I nearly scream everytime he says that term. Which is everytime he opens his mouth.

As for Julie Bishop - apart from being completely incompetent and arrogant, my name for her is the "demented budgie".
Menzie!! ❤️

Regards

MH_Bomber
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

MH_Bomber wrote:Look if we're going to resort to that then what about the "never ever GST ? "

I love the way Howard supporters start dragging thing up from 17 years ago when Howard is caught red handed making a monumental mistake.

I remember arguing with you BERT on the old Bombertalk website about Iraq. Do you now acknowledge it has been a disaster ?

I get really annoyed with the way the Right try and question your patriotism because you dont agree with Iraq. Iraq was never ever a hot bed of terrorism. Its now a recruiting tool for moderates to radicalise. Who has put the war on terror in more danger ? I think the incompetence of Bush, Blair and Howard has put the War on Terror back about 30 years.
At the time of the war starting everyone believed that Saddam had WMD. The UN, Both sides of US politics (Clinton said so in his interview with Denton) He was kicking the inspectors out. He was ignoring the 1991 war ceasefire. It would be in the hundreds of thousands that were starving to death as he had stockpiles of food that he wasn't giving out. Mass Genocide. A really great bloke that they got rid of.

At the time every world leader and the intelligence that they had said that Saddam had WMD's so it wasn't a lie.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

BERT wrote:
MH_Bomber wrote:Look if we're going to resort to that then what about the "never ever GST ? "

At the time of the war starting everyone believed that Saddam had WMD. The UN, Both sides of US politics (Clinton said so in his interview with Denton) He was kicking the inspectors out. He was ignoring the 1991 war ceasefire. It would be in the hundreds of thousands that were starving to death as he had stockpiles of food that he wasn't giving out. Mass Genocide. A really great bloke that they got rid of.

At the time every world leader and the intelligence that they had said that Saddam had WMD's so it wasn't a lie.
The UN were in the process of weapons inspections when Bush declared war.
The UN wanted more time, and Bush said NO.
The UN found no evidence of WMD.
Still Bush & Co invaded.
This was a unsactioned war by the UN.
The criminals concocted a dossier of bullshit to justify their invasion.
dingus
Regular Senior Player

Post by dingus »

BERT wrote: At the time every world leader and the intelligence that they had said that Saddam had WMD's so it wasn't a lie.
And at the time, those world leaders were busy telling their intelligence communities exactly what they required the intelligence to say.

Bert, the only way it wasn't a lie was if they found them.

?
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

BenDoolan wrote:
And what happened to Hawke?
Lots of things happened to Bobby after he made that statement. He'd probably count winning two elections after making that statement among his main achievements.
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

MH_Bomber wrote:Prepare for electoral annihilation Howard. Thats if you make to it the election !!!
K Rudd needs 17 seats. As shit as the Coalition are going right now you all need to remember that. Copnsidering he is probably going to struggle to make a dent in WA that creates even more pressure on other electorates.

I admit I've been convinced over the last month that Labor are certainties until I remember how much of a buffer John Howard has up his sleeve. As good as Rudd is I still think it's going to be unbelievably close.
Bombers till' I die
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

BERT wrote:

That last paragraph is at best stretching the truth Bert, and at worst, it's a flat out lie. How many former members of the CIA, and other major intelligence networks have now come out and said, that they new there was no evidence of WMD's, but Bush's self appointed head of that organisation, as well as Condaliza Rice were only telling Bush what he wanted to hear. Reports, and evidence were tampered with. Whole sentances and paragraphs were being edited from intelligence reports, so that they would say the exact opposite thing of what the truth actually was.

Was Saddam an arsehole? Absolutely. Is Mugabe? Yep, nothing being done there. Is Bush? Without question, he is the most irresponsible "free World" leader there has ever been. And all the Rodent is, is George Dubya's lap dog.