Minor thoughts of election day

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Minor thoughts of election day

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

Does it give anyone else the shits when you see the usual plethora of wankers on voting day who wish they could be anywhere else? I appreciate that politics turns many people off and these people tune out when the politcal stories hit the news (they probably have never watched the ABC for this particular reason), but some people don't realise how good they have it.

I thought automatically of Pakistan which will have an election in the next few months but which is almost certan to be rigged. Then I thought of Burma where "fair election" is a foreign term. f****** get out there and participate in the process you ungrateful pricks, you don't know how good you've got it :evil:

On another note the most entertaining part of the ABC coverage last night is between Kerry Obrien and Nicola Cornes. Kerry's diatribe on other networks who can't sustain viewers with serious analysis and thus have to resort to childish behaviour was a pisser. As well as inferior graphics he had to contend with a raucious crowd. Must felt like the footy for him. And Nicola Cornes.... stay out of politics love, it's really not your bag. To suffer the indignity of Tony Jone's sniggering at you on national television - doesn't get any more demeaning than that :lol:
Bombers till' I die
On the Rookie List

Re: Minor thoughts of election day

Post by 84859300 »

The Man from Bomberland wrote: Kerry's diatribe on other networks who can't sustain viewers with serious analysis and thus have to resort to childish behaviour was a pisser.
The 30 seconds that I switched to the ABC last night was when this happened. After I finished laughing, I slapped my own face and wondered wgy on earth I would think that the ABC coverage would be any different.....then I flicked back to Star Wars Vs. Empire Strikes Back.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Highlight of the night was Kerry claiming a "swing to the ABC” in Bennelong :)
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

84859300 wrote:
The Man from Bomberland wrote: Kerry's diatribe on other networks who can't sustain viewers with serious analysis and thus have to resort to childish behaviour was a pisser.
The 30 seconds that I switched to the ABC last night was when this happened. After I finished laughing, I slapped my own face and wondered wgy on earth I would think that the ABC coverage would be any different.....then I flicked back to Star Wars Vs. Empire Strikes Back.
Man I love that one. I honestly can't split numbers 1 & 2.
Bombers till' I die
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

When I got home from the WILDCAT SLIDE over the Tigers(TeeHee),I channel hopped between Part 5 and Mr Green.

STAR WARS Part 5 which is really Part 2.To avoid confusion.Who played George Lucas in Full Frontal?
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

dom_105 wrote:Highlight of the night was Kerry claiming a "swing to the ABC” in Bennelong :)
That, and the look of defeat, and horror on Jackie Kelly's face.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

I could just imagine.If she really didn't know about her Husband's SNENNANIGANS,STAND BY for a RIGHT DOMESTIC FALLOUT here.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

"piss off" or whatever its f***'n name is has already kicked her husband out.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Any links?

Has the TELLY got something on it?

SNIGGER,SNIGGER at the Irony there.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

The Man from Bomberland wrote:Does it give anyone else the shits when you see the usual plethora of wankers on voting day who wish they could be anywhere else? I appreciate that politics turns many people off and these people tune out when the politcal stories hit the news (they probably have never watched the ABC for this particular reason), but some people don't realise how good they have it.
TMFBL I actually love election day. To me its a very empowering experience to cast your vote to decide the government of the day. I usually have a laugh or two with the party volunteers handing out the how to vote cards and the electoral office people. I rocked up with my KEVIN07 t-shirt on and the ALP bloke didnt offer me a how-to-vote card I sort him out and stated I still need to know the reps ticket. We are lucky to have such a great democracy.

Everyone is out and about. There are a lot of school fete and such like going on and then there is count which I am glued to. I started off on the ABC but found Julia too guarded against showing her joy. I flashed over to 9 and quite enjoyed Kroger and Ray's numbers men repartee. Swan was good as well. Then I jumped to Fox news with Hawkee. I opened the champagne during Howard's defeat speech and boy did it go down well. Me and the other half then went into celebration mode and stayed up quite late playing The Doors (The Doors I), The Who (Ultimate collection)and Deep Purple's (Book of Taliesyn). I then collapsed into bed and have been quite "tired" today but excited at the prospect of Rudd's Labor government.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

If I ever celebrate anything listening to Deep Purple, I want you all to kill me now.

Grassy, ninemsn.com
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

I dibs the first bullet.
"Let's face it. If I didn't exist, you'd pay someone to invent me"
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

robbie67 wrote:If I ever celebrate anything listening to Deep Purple, I want you all to kill me now.

Grassy, ninemsn.com
Oh Robbie you are such a music nazi ! :)

Look we were well under the weather and were having a bit of nostalgia session. That album was Purple's second released in 1969. It pre-dated Ian Gillan as lead singer. Its quite a good album but I guess I must conclude from your comments its not to your taste. :wink:
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

MH_Bomber wrote:
robbie67 wrote:If I ever celebrate anything listening to Deep Purple, I want you all to kill me now.

Grassy, ninemsn.com
Oh Robbie you are such a music nazi ! :)

Look we were well under the weather and were having a bit of nostalgia session. That album was Purple's second released in 1969. It pre-dated Ian Gillan as lead singer. Its quite a good album but I guess I must conclude from your comments its not to your taste. :wink:
Haha MH, i'm just having a stir. :P
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I've just got home after a weekend out in the bush here in WA...it was my mother-in-law's 70th birthday and there was a big party for her.

Shitloads of farmers and good ol boys (and girls) who all thought (still think) that Howard walked on water.

The party was at the local bowling club and I managed to slip into another part of the venue early on to get a quick progress update on the election.

Talk about timing :D :D :D just as I walked into the bar, they were talking about how it looked quite possible that Howard was going to lose his seat and that Labor were going win by 20+ seats.

Grinning hugely, I wandered back to the party and proceeded to tell all and sundry that Howard and co were well and truly stuffed and that they could all look forward to a Labor Govt.

Initial reactions were that I was talking shit but when another guy came in and said that same thing, the looks on the faces of all those "poor" farmers etc was priceless.

Didn't get to bed until after 3am and to tell the truth, I'm pretty stuffed now but it was worth it.

And then to see on the news that Costello doesn't have the balls to take over....what a beautiful sight.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

MH_Bomber wrote:
The Man from Bomberland wrote:Does it give anyone else the shits when you see the usual plethora of wankers on voting day who wish they could be anywhere else? I appreciate that politics turns many people off and these people tune out when the politcal stories hit the news (they probably have never watched the ABC for this particular reason), but some people don't realise how good they have it.
TMFBL I actually love election day. To me its a very empowering experience to cast your vote to decide the government of the day. I usually have a laugh or two with the party volunteers handing out the how to vote cards and the electoral office people. I rocked up with my KEVIN07 t-shirt on and the ALP bloke didnt offer me a how-to-vote card I sort him out and stated I still need to know the reps ticket. We are lucky to have such a great democracy.

Everyone is out and about. There are a lot of school fete and such like going on and then there is count which I am glued to. I started off on the ABC but found Julia too guarded against showing her joy. I flashed over to 9 and quite enjoyed Kroger and Ray's numbers men repartee. Swan was good as well. Then I jumped to Fox news with Hawkee. I opened the champagne during Howard's defeat speech and boy did it go down well. Me and the other half then went into celebration mode and stayed up quite late playing The Doors (The Doors I), The Who (Ultimate collection)and Deep Purple's (Book of Taliesyn). I then collapsed into bed and have been quite "tired" today but excited at the prospect of Rudd's Labor government.
MH I love it too. I just wish most people acknowledged they are lucky to be able to vote without fear of being imprisoned for expressing your opinion. People don't know how good we have it.
Bombers till' I die
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Just out of interest, why is it that we must cast our vote in pencil?
Essendunny
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

BenDoolan wrote:Just out of interest, why is it that we must cast our vote in pencil?
Apparently it's easier for electoral office staff to sharpen a pencil than replace a pen.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swoodley wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Just out of interest, why is it that we must cast our vote in pencil?
Apparently it's easier for electoral office staff to sharpen a pencil than replace a pen.
Oh, I thought you were going to say it's easier for the electoral office staff to rub out your vote and cast their own.
Essendunny
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

BenDoolan wrote:
swoodley wrote:
Oh, I thought you were going to say it's easier for the electoral office staff to rub out your vote and cast their own.
If I didn't know better BD, I would think you are a cynic :wink: