Recommended Holiday reading

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

I got Jimmy Hird's book for Christmas am very much looking forward to reading it.
Bombers till' I die
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

TMFBL - it rocks. What took you so long?

I recommend a book called Nineteen Minutes. I forget who it's by exactly but it is a seriously fantastic read.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Filthy...I got that book for Christmas and I'm looking forward to reading it and getting an Australian perspective on things.

I remember reading Les Carlyon's "Gallipoli" a few years back and I had to put it down every ten pages or so as I was getting so angry at the sheer stupidity displayed by the English Generals.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

There is incredible critical hype surrounding the movie No Country for Old Men which was released in Australia on Boxing Day. I have read the book and it is fantastic so that is my book recommendation for anyone who sees the film and enjoys it (or anyone else for that matter!)

Anyone who has an interest in books feel free to PM me as my library is considerable!

P. S. Hey Megan, Nineteen Minutes is by Jodi Picoult. If you like her books I recommend 'The Pact'.
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Bought the Vietnam book for mum for xmas, but had a bit of a flick before I wrapped it. Very interesting. Got dibs on it when mum has finished and looking forward to it.

Reading Ricciuto's book ATM. Not a bad read either.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I know what you mean re "The Great War"

I've started reading it several times and end up putting it down after reading another entry showing the extreme incompetence of the Allied generals.

I know the benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing but I've always been amazed that the Allied High Command couldn't get it through their thick skulls that men marching towards well sited machine guns will always lose.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

ANarchic, cheers - I was dead keen to read some more of hers after Nineteen Minutes, so I'll go right ahead and order that one, thanks :D
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

Megan wrote:ANarchic, cheers - I was dead keen to read some more of hers after Nineteen Minutes, so I'll go right ahead and order that one, thanks :D
My pleasure! Let me know what you think!
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I would like to bring myself to read some books about Vietnam but just can't do it. I'm terrified it'll change the way I view my father. At the same time I want to because I hope it will make me understand why he's the way he is a little better? Catch 22.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

I'm looking for one of those really thick books on the history of the world. One of those books that goes through the rise and fall of

Egyptions
Assyrians
Babylonians
Romans
Greeks
Persians
Celtics etc etc etc

Can anyone recommend one that is written in a style that is good to read ??
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

AnarchicBomber wrote:There is incredible critical hype surrounding the movie No Country for Old Men which was released in Australia on Boxing Day. I have read the book and it is fantastic so that is my book recommendation for anyone who sees the film and enjoys it (or anyone else for that matter!)

Anyone who has an interest in books feel free to PM me as my library is considerable!
The movie is absolutely mind-blowing. I can't wait to read the book.
Bombers till' I die
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

hillchaser.... kinda off topic but have you considered studying latin as a language? It's facinating and you learn a bit along the way about the culture. It's really good.
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

I concur with Filthy that Colleen McCullough Master of Rome series is absolutely fantastic. I read the First Man in Rome by chance about 15 years ago and have bought every new volume since. I usually don't like historical novels but this is a big exception.

I studied Latin for eight years in school and found it rather a waste of time - mea culpa. It's only after reading these books that I regained a strong interest.

For the rest of the antique world, the Cambridge ancient history is very good but this is a 12 volume monster and very pricy. Getting it from a library and reading a bit at a time is the best way.
Red and Black Forever
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

I got put off learning latin by my studies in Italian.

I hate languages where the rules are trial and error.

And the Life of Brian sketch where John Cleese corrects Brian's graffitti of "Romans go Home"
"Let's face it. If I didn't exist, you'd pay someone to invent me"
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Well I only did one year that was focussed on the language and I really enjoyed it :lol:

No abuse, no molestation, only chocolate frogs :lol:
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

I read Andrew Johns book over the break. One of the best autobiographies I have ever read.

How he could play at the level he did with what was going on through his head is amazing.

You should read it if you get a chance. I finished it in 3 days. Couldn't put it down.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

swoodley wrote:I remember reading Les Carlyon's "Gallipoli" a few years back and I had to put it down every ten pages or so as I was getting so angry at the sheer stupidity displayed by the English Generals.
10 pages ??? What Took you so Long :wink:
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

dodgey wrote:
swoodley wrote:I remember reading Les Carlyon's "Gallipoli" a few years back and I had to put it down every ten pages or so as I was getting so angry at the sheer stupidity displayed by the English Generals.
10 pages ??? What Took you so Long :wink:
I guess I'm just a very tolerant person :lol:
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Just finished reading Slash's autobiography over the weekend. A book in the mould of The Dirt but still a very good read.