Underbelly banned in Victoria

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
dom_105
Club Captain

Underbelly banned in Victoria

Post by dom_105 »

There is one thing Sydney has over Melbourne.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 61,00.html
Judge bans Underbelly TV drama indefinitely
Emily Power

February 12, 2008 12:05pm

CHANNEL 9 is expected to appeal against a decision to ban crime drama Underbelly from airing in Victoria until after a gangland murder trial.

A Supreme Court judge issued the extraordinary suppression order today after the Office of Public Prosecutions applied for broadcast to be delayed on the grounds of prejudice.

Channel 9 lawyers said outside the Geelong Supreme Court that they would exercise all legal options.

The $13 million series was due to premiere on Channel 9 tomorrow night but has been put off in Victoria indefinitely.

The Nine Network has also been ordered to pull Underbelly character profiles from its website, and has been banned from placing any episodes on the internet in Victoria.

The show is now not expected to be aired in Victoria before May.

"In my view it is more important that the criminal justice system works than this channel make a profit,'' the judge said.

The judge made the decision during a preliminary hearing in Geelong.

The judge said the pool of jurors would come from Victoria and it would be difficult for them to remove the TV series from their minds.

"The court has to do the best it can to give a person a fair trial."

Barrister for Nine, Brendan Murphy QC, today told the court the network would air the murder episode after the trial if the series went ahead as scheduled.

Mr Murphy said the network always intended to air a heavily edited version of the series for Victorian audiences.

Mr Murphy argued "an avalanche of material" about the Melbourne gangland war was already available to the public.

But the judge ultimately issued what she described as a "blanket order".
The judge said Nine's lawyers could not say if the network was aware of pending trials but made a decision to air the series in the ratings period.

The judge said the program tended to corroborate evidence associated with the upcoming trial.

The judge was particularly concerned about the characters and their relationships with each other as already displayed on the Nine website.

The row over Underbelly recalls that surrounding the ABC's 1995 series Blue Murder, which depicted Sydney underworld killings and alleged underworld links with NSW police.

The series was banned for five years in NSW because of its potential to influence a jury in the trial of career criminal Neddy Smith, but was cleared for screening in 2001 after the murder charge against Smith was dropped.

The judge yesterday gave defence lawyers and public prosecutors until today to view more than 10 hours of the Melbourne gangland drama to determine whether the series would affect the upcoming murder trial.

Nine handed over DVDs of the 13 episodes yesterday after being subpoenaed by the Office of Public Prosecutions last week, when doubts were raised over whether an accused Victorian gangland murderer, who cannot be named, would get a fair hearing.

The judge, who also viewed the series yesterday, today said the conversations in the drama would largely be "a figment of the writers' imagination".

"It will be very difficult, in my view. for the public ... to sift what is fact and what is fiction," the judge said.

"The series explains to a very large degree why (name suppressed) was murdered."

"That is really the subject of the trial."

Yesterday, the judge said a coming trial for a man accused of murdering a gangland figure was at risk of being abandoned if the drama series went to air.

The accused man's solicitor applied to the Supreme Court yesterday for the trial to be adjourned for three months on the grounds that the much-hyped program could be prejudicial.

The judge told criminal lawyer Anthony Brand if he elected not to proceed with the trial, he was electing for the show to go ahead.

The judge said the accused could be worse off if the murder trial proceeded after Underbelly had been broadcast.

"What I may be faced with is a permanent stay . . . that the trial could no longer proceed because of this television series," the judge said.

"I do not wish to be the one to stop this program . . . but this is commercial television, it is not the news, it is not about people's right to know, it is about the criminal justice system."

Mr Brand yesterday told the judge he would not give an undertaking not to make a future application for a permanent stay of prosecution.

Prosecutor Geoff Horgan, SC, opposed the application on the grounds Mr Brand would not give the undertaking.

At a court hearing last week, Mr Brand opposed the TV series airing in Victoria, saying his client was ready for the impending trial.

Brendan Murphy, QC, for Nine, said a potential court order could create logistical difficulties for the network.
Damn, I was really looking forward to this one. Oh well, there is ways around it.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

God bless the "information highway"
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

I'm not up with all the torrent stuff so I guess Youtube will have to do.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

dom_105 wrote:I'm not up with all the torrent stuff so I guess Youtube will have to do.
There are millions of ways to do it.
I use a peer-to-peer, then download the torrent off a website.
I find the name of the episode ie: underbelly pilot (I dont know the name of the first episode) and then type "torrent" after it. Check up a website and download, its like 1k. Have the peer-to-peer open and then double click on the torrent you just downloaded.

There are much easier ways but I dont know them as well as this way.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I can understand why they'd want to do this.

I remember after Port Arthur, Tassie were on a media blackout regarding it because of the trial, so far that if my memory serves correctly they were trying to prevent interstate papers for a few days immediately after that showed photos of Martin Bryant.

I wasn't going to watch it but I might now - so good advertising for them ;)
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

They reckon it might influence the jury. Understand the reasoning behind it, but the jury can watch it whenever they like if they have access to the internet.

Meh, who knows anyway, most of us will still watch it, just means we have to use up space on our computers. :wink:
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Rossoneri wrote:They reckon it might influence the jury. Understand the reasoning behind it, but the jury can watch it whenever they like if they have access to the internet.
Yeah true. It would be an easy out if you were unlucky enough to get picked for jury duty for this particular trial. Incidentally, being on the jury for a underworld murder trial isn't on my list of things I want to do.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Don't know long BLUE MURDER was BARRED for in NSW,or if the Ban was ever lifted.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

dom_105 wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:They reckon it might influence the jury. Understand the reasoning behind it, but the jury can watch it whenever they like if they have access to the internet.
Yeah true. It would be an easy out if you were unlucky enough to get picked for jury duty for this particular trial. Incidentally, being on the jury for a underworld murder trial isn't on my list of things I want to do.
This is why you would walk into the court room twitching and pledging your allegence to Zultan the Great...
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It will still be shown in Victoria. We will just have to wait until after the trial.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

May apparently, Robrulz.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

A pub in South Melbourne showed it last night and are now in the poo.

Ari Sharp and Daniel Ziffer
February 14, 2008

A SOUTH Melbourne hotel last night defied a Supreme Court order by screening controversial channel Nine underworld series Underbelly.

About 10 people watched the first episode of the 13-part series in the front lounge of the Rising Sun Hotel in South Melbourne. The program was beamed into the hotel through a satellite feed from Western Australia.

The hotel advertised the program on a chalk board, saying that it would start at 8pm. It was hoping to show it through Channel Nine affiliate Imparja, which is based in Alice Springs.

About 25 people turned up to watch, but they were frustrated when Imparja instead showed Holy Smoke, the outback movie starring Kate Winslet and Harvey Keitel.

The crowd had dwindled by the time the hotel picked up the WA feed, complete with advertisments for farming equipment, at 10.30pm.

The program was available even earlier for those who wanted to defy the ban by using the internet. About 15 minutes after the broadcast finished in the eastern states, the first pirated version was available for download from the Netherlands-based website mininova.org.

By contrast, Melburnians tuned in to Nine did not see a frame of the heavily-promoted program.

Instead, they saw a brief explanation from Eddie McGuire on why Underbelly , which the former chief executive had strongly backed, was not going to air as initially advertised. This was followed by a re-run of the movie The Shawshank Redemption.

The hotel risks being charged with contempt of court after Justice Betty King on Tuesday suppressed the screening of the program in Victoria.

Nine, which last year lost its ratings crown to Seven, was hoping that the series would springboard its bid to regain ascendancy.

But Justice King, after watching the program on Monday night, ruled that the program could influence jurors in a forthcoming gangland murder trial.

"The criminal justice system is more important that your client's profit margin," she told Nine lawyer Brendan Murphy, QC.

Nine late yesterday lodged an appeal against the ban. Three judges from the Court of Appeal — the state's highest court — will be asked to overturn the suppression order.

It emerged yesterday that Nine knew the risks of producing Underbelly and barrelled ahead.

Executives knew sex, guns and death on TV — with the real-life criminals' trials appearing on the nightly news — would bring to Nine the excitement and positive buzz the network had lacked after two limp years. It was a chance to get on the front page.

Sources inside the Nine Network said that "arrogance" and "swagger" at the top level of the organisation led to concerns about potential legal issues being dismissed.

"I think they've just gone in (to the legal issues) with … bravado and been shot down," a Nine employee said yesterday.

The 13-part dramatisation of the Melbourne gangland war had a hot cast and astonishing hype. A leaked video circulated on email contains clips of violence, nudity, profanity and a tag line of "Bang, Bang".

But the show was too close to the truth, according to Justice King.

"It is, unfortunately for Channel Nine, compelling television. That's one of the problems," she said on Tuesday. Nine spokeswoman Arabella Gibson denied potential legal issues had been ignored leading up to the $10.4 million series.

With STEVE BUTCHER and NICK MILLER
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Megan wrote:I can understand why they'd want to do this.

I remember after Port Arthur, Tassie were on a media blackout regarding it because of the trial, so far that if my memory serves correctly they were trying to prevent interstate papers for a few days immediately after that showed photos of Martin Bryant.

Didn't stop the media...I was living in Hobart at the time of the massacre and the front page of the Mercury the next day was a photo of Martin Bryant and the Headline "THIS IS THE MAN"

If that isn't going to bias a jury I don't know what will!!
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

ealesy wrote:

Didn't stop the media...I was living in Hobart at the time of the massacre and the front page of the Mercury the next day was a photo of Martin Bryant and the Headline "THIS IS THE MAN"

Yeah and the Mercury got their arse kicked hard for doing it...

For what it is the worth I though the show was excellent and am going to really enjoy watching it.

Stand out performance by Gyton Grantley who plays Carl Williams. Plays him to a tea as an intellectual moron but a street smart genius. Vince Colosimo was also brilliant as Alphonse Gangitano as was Callan Mulvey as Mark Moran.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Did anyone see any SPOLIERS by 7 on this?

BARCELONA TONIGHT perhaps?
Scott
On the Rookie List

Post by Scott »

bomberdonnie wrote:
ealesy wrote:

For what it is the worth I though the show was excellent and am going to really enjoy watching it.

Stand out performance by Gyton Grantley who plays Carl Williams. Plays him to a tea as an intellectual moron but a street smart genius. Vince Colosimo was also brilliant as Alphonse Gangitano as was Callan Mulvey as Mark Moran.
You know Carl do you?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Can anyone answer this question.......

Why is the TV series Underbelly being banned in Victoria when the book "Leadbelly" on which the series is based, is still on sale here?
Essendunny
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Because the writers of leadbelly sought legal advice on what can be in the book and what cant be in the book. The writer was SEN on Tuesday talking about that very issue.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:Because the writers of leadbelly sought legal advice on what can be in the book and what cant be in the book. The writer was SEN on Tuesday talking about that very issue.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, so if the series is based on the book that has been cleared legally.....what is the issue?
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Scott wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:
ealesy wrote:

You know Carl do you?
No thank f*** but I have read the book that this show is based on and the character in the book named Carl Williams is played very well by Grantley.

I seriously doubt the real Carl Williams was quite as fucktarded as the dramatised character I am discussing here