Why Private is ALWAYS better than Public.

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
dom_105
Club Captain

Re: Why Private is ALWAYS better than Public.

Post by dom_105 »

As long as the various Governments safeguard against market failure, I think you are pretty spot on.

I was pretty dirty on Bracks and his backflip over this whole issue, but now I just want to get the bloody thing built. It will be great for everyone who lives out east, no congestion on Springvale Road, Stud Road, Maroondah Highway through Ringwood, etc, etc. Get to the city in no time, get to the beach in no time, should be great when it's done.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

This may be true of roads, but it certainly isn't true of railways.
Look at what CONNEX has done for our rail system in Melbourne.
(or Virgin in the UK or whatever other example you care to mention).
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

dom_105 wrote:As long as the various Governments safeguard against market failure, I think you are pretty spot on.

I was pretty dirty on Bracks and his backflip over this whole issue, but now I just want to get the bloody thing built. It will be great for everyone who lives out east, no congestion on Springvale Road, Stud Road, Maroondah Highway through Ringwood, etc, etc. Get to the city in no time, get to the beach in no time, should be great when it's done.
You can only hope cause the Monash is a piece of trash.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Private is certainly almost always better at project delivery (i.e. building the thing) - the imperative to keep costs down and get the project generating revenue ASAP usually sees to this. Whether they're necessarily better at project management (i.e. maintaining the thing after it's built) is a more debatable point - this is where the private model can hurt the users due to the fact that a private company will always seek to spend the minimum amount possible to generate the maximum amount of revenue. Leighton were able to build Eastlink ahead of schedule due mainly to lower industrial disputation that they'd budgeted for (yes, believe it or not, Workchoices did actually have benefits) and less days lost to wet weather than they'd budgeted for.

The Monash is pretty cruddy, though, particularly through areas where they're doing the widening and associated road works slows traffic flow. My method of dealing with traffic is that i simply refuse to drive anywhere at peak times anymore.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

Filthy wrote:Whatever your feelings are about the Eastlink Tollway, I note in the press this morning that it is to open 6 months ahead of schedule, proving that Private always outperforms Public run enterprises and/or constructions.
The ONLY Reason that this TOLLWAY ( yes Bracks you backflipped) is opening early is because of the lack of "Inclement Weather" days that they had whilst building the project which were originally factored into the scheme.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

I thought this was going to be a thread about hospitals. :D
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Filthy wrote:
nomolos wrote:
dom_105 wrote:As long as the various Governments safeguard against market failure, I think you are pretty spot on.

Amen Brother.

Took no 1 daughter to Monash Clayton from the Peninsula earlier this year and when we got to the merge with the South Eastern at around Endeavour Hills, well she could have walked and got there quicker. :evil:

PS Dom....there are no beaches past Frankston :roll:
So all those Schoolies go down to Roesbud just to get pissed?

Meh, makes sense.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

dodgey wrote:The ONLY Reason that this TOLLWAY ( yes Bracks you backflipped) is opening early is because of the lack of "Inclement Weather" days that they had whilst building the project which were originally factored into the scheme.
The dry weather is the largest factor for the project's early opening, but it's not the only one. Leighton have openly admitted that the passage of Workchoices and, more importantly, the establishment of the Australian Building & Construction Commission were significant factors in being able to deliver the project ahead of schedule. Their CEO said as much in a BRW interview 3 or 4 months ago.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Filthy wrote:
nomolos wrote:

Amen Brother.

Took no 1 daughter to Monash Clayton from the Peninsula earlier this year and when we got to the merge with the South Eastern at around Endeavour Hills, well she could have walked and got there quicker. :evil:

PS Dom....there are no beaches past Frankston :roll:

Well there is..it just takes an extra hour to get from Mornington to Portsea/Sorrento

I here what your saying some days i have to leave at 630am to get to Burwood by 8am. In non peak hour times the normal commute is 20-25mins :x :x
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

Why Private is ALWAYS better than Public
Connex excuded, right ?
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Except in regards to connex, f****** idiots. Is there head office in India too, biggest bunch of f*ckwits ever. Last night at the footy, trains heading to Epping and Hurstbridge were coming every 25 minutes after the game. Platform two was absolutely packed, three trains had to come before I managed to get on, thats how packed it was.

And the government want us to use public transport? How about fixing it first you f*cking clown?
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!