What's good in music yada yada yada.....

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
robbie67
Essendon Legend

What's good in music yada yada yada.....

Post by robbie67 »

First of all thanks to Cam for some excellent recommendations. Beck's Chemtrails is brilliant.

MGMT - Oracular Spectaculor. amazing album.
The Courteneers - St Jude. Brilliant Brit Pop.
The Enemy - We'll Live And Die In These Towns. yeah.
Dash and Will - Pick You Up. Female Melbourne Duo, Very good single.
The Black Kids
Scouting For Girls
These New Puritans
Mystery Jets
Royza
Club Captain

Re: What's good in music yada yada yada.....

Post by Royza »

robbie67 wrote:First of all thanks to Cam for some excellent recommendations. Beck's Chemtrails is brilliant.

MGMT - Oracular Spectaculor. amazing album.
Heard some good things. Will try & check it out if I get a chance after the footy tonight.
The Courteneers - St Jude. Brilliant Brit Pop.
The Enemy - We'll Live And Die In These Towns. yeah.
Dash and Will - Pick You Up. Female Melbourne Duo, Very good single.
Not so good taken? :D
The Black Kids
Scouting For Girls
These New Puritans
Mystery Jets
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Glad to be of service Robbie. Will download a few of yours & get back to you.

Don't bother listening to the new Dandy Warhols album either. I know you deservedly slagged off their last album & this new one is only marginally better. Self indulgent, excessive, bloated, self absorbed (FFS, why do they persist with 10 - 15 minute songs?)

Royza, curious about your little homage to XTC. Saw them at Festering Hall around 1980 with Magazine as support - bloody good night, & that Drums & Wires album that was out around that time was a beauty. Complicated Game brings back some memories.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

CameronClayton wrote:Glad to be of service Robbie. Will download a few of yours & get back to you.

Don't bother listening to the new Dandy Warhols album either. I know you deservedly slagged off their last album & this new one is only marginally better. Self indulgent, excessive, bloated, self absorbed (FFS, why do they persist with 10 - 15 minute songs?)

Royza, curious about your little homage to XTC. Saw them at Festering Hall around 1980 with Magazine as support - bloody good night, & that Drums & Wires album that was out around that time was a beauty. Complicated Game brings back some memories.
:twisted: I would kill to have seen that band.

Chairs Missing, by Wire is one of the all time great, and definately the most under-rated album of the last 30 years. What a great band they were. I remember seeing Elastica at The Prince of Wales about 10 years ago, and you could tell they were still heavily influenced by Wire, as were all the great Brit Pop bands of that period.

Oh by the way, my wife being unwell was the only thing that kept me from going to see your brother's band last night. They were even playing in the basement bar of the building I work in during the day.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Filthy wrote:I have just had delivered the Loved Ones one and only album from the 60's "The Loved One", from JB. Masterpiece.

I remember from my older brothers playing it to death when I was a billy, but gee it still sounds good...I can only imagine how good today it would be with todays recording technology. Back then, they just played it until it sounded "good" and that was the cut. Makes you wonder how good the 60's Stones, Beatles, Yardbirds and co would also have sounded. :roll:
Great songs are great songs Filth. Technology and production dont always make music better. Compare the 60's soul of Aretha, Marvin, Otis, Dionne, and company to the dross that is served up today as an example.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

CameronClayton wrote: Royza, curious about your little homage to XTC. Saw them at Festering Hall around 1980 with Magazine as support - bloody good night, & that Drums & Wires album that was out around that time was a beauty. Complicated Game brings back some memories.
Running a Winamp plugin called LPS (Live Playlist Signature) http://sig.iamntz.com/
Shows my currently playing songs (if I have it enabled).

XTC gets a play every now & then. Making Plans For Nigel was one of my fave songs when I was a youngster. Always digged their lyrics. Very catchy.
They only toured for around 5 yrs so you're very lucky to have seen them. Very jeal 8).
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Took my time but needed several listens to give my verdict:

Mystery Jets - Twenty One: Love this album. Good mix of songs. Most should've heard Young Love by now. Very good.
MGMT - Oracular Spectaculor: Very good Electronica/Rock. Most should've heard Electric Feel & possibly Time To Pretend.
The Courteneers - St Jude: Dig this album. Goes well with stuff like Vampire Weekend.
These New Puritans - Beat Pyramid: Some good stuff there. Can be hit & miss. But very unique.
The Enemy - We'll Live And Die In These Towns: Good stuff. Somewhere in between The Jam & Green Day.
The Black Kids - Partie Traumatic: Not bad. A few songs a bit samey & can get a bit much to listen the whole way through. Some catchy stuff though.
Scouting For Girls: Ok. Didn't grab me as much as the other stuff though.
Dash and Will - Pick You Up: Catchy single. Interesting to see if they can follow it up.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

robbie67 wrote:Scouting For Girls

That's just YOU on a Saturday night
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Better than Scouting For Park Benches:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 61,00.html
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

Slowly warming to MGMT's debut. They're touring here in December and I'm likely to get on board.

Bit harsh on the Dandy's. Their last effort was obviously indulgent but ...Earth to the Dandy Warhols is great. The last track is a bit of a wank but everything else is fresh and has their trademark touch to it. I love it. And very excited they've announced a tour for November. Already got my tickets!!! There'll be bong smoke and psychadelic riffs ringing in my ears soon enough! =D> =D> Robbie they're even coming to Canberra I see...

One record I'll reccomend is the debut from Fleet Foxes. It was featured on triple j a few weeks ago and I haven't heard a sweeter debut from any artist/group. It's a gorgeous record and the tracks flow effortlessly into each other. Mind you Sub Pop are good at churning out quality acts (The Shins, Nirvana etc).

You should all get on the John Steel Singers too. They supported The Polyphponic Spree a few weeks ago and they're very catchy.
Bombers till' I die
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

I'm really getting into The Living End's new album. Some great songs on it.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

Filthy wrote:
dodgey wrote:
robbie67 wrote:Scouting For Girls

That's just YOU on a Saturday night
Why JUST Saturday night Dodge? :wink:
Mrs. 67 only lets him out 1 night a week :wink:
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

TMFBL, I was a bit harsh on the Dandys, only I always have had high expectations of them since 13 Tales.

On a 2nd listen, the first 3 songs are weak, especially that Welcome to the 3rd world which is a direct rip off of the Stones 'Miss You'. Things do pick up though from tracks 4 to 12, except that Mis Amigos is no good.

So on a 2nd listen, not as bad as their previous but no killer stand out tracks like they had on Come Down or 13 Tales or even the Banana one (although this had a lot of filler too). If Valerie Yum had finished about half way through, it would have been much better, the same problem they had with at least 2 songs on the previous album. 4 minute songs are always better than 7 minute songs.
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

Yeah it's by no means a perfect record. 13 Tales was an epic and that would be one of the top 5 records I'd take to a deserted island if I had to choose.

The World The People Together (Come On) is cheesy but it's the perfect opener. Mission Control is an average first single and Welcome to the Third World while a blatant rip off still works. I think 13 Tales was their one great record and ever since they've just decided to have fun whilst producing some very catchy tunes. Why else would they bother with the constant 10 minute jams? They've always done their own thing.

Anyway the tour should be great.
Bombers till' I die
Malky
Regular Senior Player

Post by Malky »

Just got a copy of Universes from Birds of Tokyo - highly rated follow up to their debut album Day One last year.
BoT was a side project from the boys from Karnivool - took off in leaps and bounds and they haven't looked back.

Best tracks from Universes are Broken Bones, An Ode to Death, Armour for Liars and Medicine.

Selling out shows all around the country, booking in more dates and selling out these as well (in Melbourne - 2x HiFi shows sold out in minutes, FTG Hotel sold out as well)