Daniher and Neagle

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
gringo
Club Captain

Daniher and Neagle

Post by gringo »

Are Neagle and Daniher a chance to do anything this year? I haven't seen anything I've liked about these two so far. I take on board that they are young and it is notoriously difficult for tall young forwards to break through, but having said that, I'm not sure either of them are quick nor powerful enough to make it. In addition, both appear to be highly injury prone.

Does anyone see any upside to one or both of these two?
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Re: Daniher and Neagle

Post by andrewb »

I'm going to assume that you're not taking the piss here...

Neagle has all the tools to be an Aaron Hamill type forward if he can stay on the park. Booming kick, pack breaker, good hands, goal sense. I'm surprised you can't see much in him. He is injury prone but he has talent to burn - just look at his goal from our last NAB cup match.

From what I've seen of Daniher in the twos I think he has a lot of upside. He's good overhead, reads the play well, is quick and runs low to the ground (low centre of gravity = good balance). Disposal is classy and he's got a cool head. From memory, one of the Bendigo games I saw he played back and smashed his opponent and then got switched forward and had four goals in a half. I'd expect that of the young'uns Pears and Hurley would be ahead of him but I think he's got the tools to play big or small so there might be a spot for him. He's developing outside the spotlight which is good for everyone.

Both are quick. Neagle is very quick, Daniher is deceptively quick and makes up with it with his reading of the play.

I'm not too concerned about the KPPs coming through. Ryder has made it, Gumby and Neagle look very promising, Daniher looks ok, Hurley and Pears have big wraps and we've got the chance to unearth something good in the bottom-agers we picked up in 2007/08 (Hooker and Still).
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

andrewb wrote:Ryder has made it,
i wouldn't say he has made it yet, in fact id say he is a fair way off. dont get me wrong i love this kid and can't wait to see him turn into a star. playing the entire 2009 season will no doubt get him much closer to being the consistent opponent beater he needs to be.
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

Jazz_84 wrote:
andrewb wrote:Ryder has made it,
i wouldn't say he has made it yet, in fact id say he is a fair way off. dont get me wrong i love this kid and can't wait to see him turn into a star. playing the entire 2009 season will no doubt get him much closer to being the consistent opponent beater he needs to be.
Whether he has made it or not comes down to your expectations of him, when it comes to being a pure defender and simply stopping your opponent I think he's pretty much almost made it there, however my expectation of paddy is that not only will he be a stopper but he'll push up the wings a bit more win some uncontested footy dragging CHF away from home and setting more play up. I think potential wise he'd be close to the best player on our list, if he was another backman I'd say he's pretty much made it, but because he's Paddy Ryder I agree he still has some way to go of what he is truly capable of.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

There is a heap to like about Neagle for season 2009. If he can stay fit and healthy then we should see him quite a lot at senior level this year. He showed last year that he could become a really strong forward option for us.

Unfortunately Darcy has had a lot of serious injuries already so im not expecting much from him this year, he just needs to get some footy under his belt at the moment!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

well yeah moving up the ground is something else to think about it after he has the basics down pat, so yeah i suppose him getting there differs for everyone, and i guess im expecting a bit more from him this year, mainly consistency. good point Gatsid
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

In short, Neagle has heaps of potential. Great pair of hands and is a very good kick for goal as a rule. He is a very solid boy and will break a pack, and will be hard to knock off the line. His body from the ankles down is pretty shit, and it worries me. How can you be a left hander and a right footer? It's got me farked.

Darcy Daniher from the limited time I have seen him, appears to be a footballer first and an athlete 2nd. This is good because a lot of this game is played from above the shoulders. Another one with a back problem that is somewhat concerning given his age.
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It seems that Neagle is being groomed into a full forward for when Lloyd retires. It would be nice to see him stay injury free and get a good run in the team so he can get as much experience as possible.
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

BenDoolan wrote:In short, Neagle has heaps of potential. Great pair of hands and is a very good kick for goal as a rule. He is a very solid boy and will break a pack, and will be hard to knock off the line. His body from the ankles down is pretty shit, and it worries me. How can you be a left hander and a right footer? It's got me farked.

Darcy Daniher from the limited time I have seen him, appears to be a footballer first and an athlete 2nd. This is good because a lot of this game is played from above the shoulders. Another one with a back problem that is somewhat concerning given his age.
It's not that strange is it? I'm a left hander but a right footer, right handed handballer, right arm bowler, right hand tennis. I agree with everything you've said about Neagle though, I honestly think he can be a huge threat for us at FF so long as his ankles and feet don't continue to break down. Daniher I can't say I've seen enough to know whether he'll be any good or not but from what I hear he runs the lines coming out of defense similar to how Firrito does for North if thats the case I think we may have a decent rebounder on our list, lets just hope he finds the footy more than Firrito does and uses it better.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gatsid wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:In short, Neagle has heaps of potential. Great pair of hands and is a very good kick for goal as a rule. He is a very solid boy and will break a pack, and will be hard to knock off the line. His body from the ankles down is pretty shit, and it worries me. How can you be a left hander and a right footer? It's got me farked.

It's not that strange is it? I'm a left hander but a right footer, right handed handballer, right arm bowler, right hand tennis.
I dunno, I think it’s odd. But Neagle may not be all that strange I guess. A mate of mine bats left handed in cricket. Plays golf right handed. Bowls right arm. Writes left handed. Is a left footer. Got me absolutely stuffed.
Essendunny
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I'm a right hander and a left footer. Always found it hard to fluently drop the ball onto my boot (as you effectively have to cross your arm over to drop the ball on your opposite leg).

But I'm a retard so that may also be a factor.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Staggy wrote:I'm a right hander and a left footer. Always found it hard to fluently drop the ball onto my boot (as you effectively have to cross your arm over to drop the ball on your opposite leg).

But I'm a retard so that may also be a factor.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

I seem to use the right hand side of my body for strength (jumping, kicking, bowling, tennis swing, top hand on the cricket bat (I play very top handed), throwing) and the left hand side of my body for finesse (writing, cutting (scissors), etc). You're friend BD now that's bamboozled haha. Can't you drop the ball with your left hand staggy? I drop the ball with my right, couldn't drop the ball with my left to save myself.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Neagle is deceptively strong..very strong. He needs endurance to improve his all round abilities.

Daniher is an unknown to me...except by name.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Neagle has a very good weight-strength physique, if that makes sense, someone like a Gary Ablett(snr and jnr). For someone his weight (and he has shed a few), he has remarkable strength, continually outbodies opponents just by being in the right spot. He is also a smart footballer, however his one downfall is his body and whether it can hold up.

Personally, as long as he runs off the square and ko's Thomas, Judd and Stevens, then he can win our B&F
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BenDoolan wrote:Darcy Daniher from the limited time I have seen him, appears to be a footballer first and an athlete 2nd. This is good because a lot of this game is played from above the shoulders. Another one with a back problem that is somewhat concerning given his age.
I would have said the same thing about Neagle.

I play tennis, golf, basketball right handed, but handball left handed, and kick right footed. In cricket, I bat both and throw both, but I think thats more to do with practicing to being Brian Lara in the back yard.
Mind you, Lara also hits a golf ball right handed, and I think AB did as well.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

BenDoolan wrote:
Gatsid wrote:

It's not that strange is it? I'm a left hander but a right footer, right handed handballer, right arm bowler, right hand tennis.
I dunno, I think it’s odd. But Neagle may not be all that strange I guess. A mate of mine bats left handed in cricket. Plays golf right handed. Bowls right arm. Writes left handed. Is a left footer. Got me absolutely stuffed.
I'm left foot kick, right hand batsmen, left arm bowler, right arm golf, left arm tennis, right hand guitar, left hand drums. yes, kinda weird.... :wink:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

sconsey wrote:
I'm left foot kick, right hand batsmen, left arm bowler, right arm golf, left arm tennis, right hand guitar, left hand drums. yes, kinda weird.... :wink:
Haha, you should be in a circus :wink: :lol:

I am at a loss at how my mate can be a left hand batsman, but plays golf right handed. That just doesn't compute!
Essendunny