Essendon vs St Kilda Match Preview Thread

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Essendon vs St Kilda Match Preview Thread

Post by BenDoolan »

Crazyman wrote:Finally, whilst I want to be the finals bandwagon, until we develop consistency, I am not going to go on the rollercoaster ride that most BT'ers seem to be on...after each win this year so far, we have followed up with an extremely disappointing performance the following week...if we can string 5 or 6 games together, then I may get a bit more excited :D
I don't really have high hopes, but at the moment, there are 6 other sides in the top 8 who have been inconsistent thus far. We are every chance (as they are) of making the 8. It will be a matter of which teams outside of the current top 8 gets a wriggle on and forces them (or us) out with some consistent performances themselves. This season is shaping up to seeing a glut of teams with about 10 - 12 wins for the year.
Essendunny
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I'm not thinking finals at the moment. I am just enjoying the ride.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

Hi guys. Dropping in to see what Bomber fans' expectations are for the game against the mighty Saints this Sunday.
I reckon this is a danger game for us. Essendon were good last week against the Dorks and will be taking us on coming off a six day break. If it's close at 3/4 time your run could get you across the line.
The big question is where will your goals come from?
If St.Kilda sustains its defensive pressure as per the first seven games, it's hard to see how you're going to kick a winning score. Who are your main avenues to goal besides Lloyd and Lucas? 'Scuse my ignorance about all things Essendon, do you expect that your speedy runners will also be the goal kickers.
Also read with some amusement references on this site to Roo as Nicola. Go on, tell me you wouldn't have him in your side. Same goes for the way you love to hate Milney. Stephen Milne : 172 games - 347 goals. And to think he was a Bomber rookie. No wonder you love to hate him.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

visiting saint wrote:Hi guys. Dropping in to see what Bomber fans' expectations are for the game against the mighty Saints this Sunday.
I reckon this is a danger game for us. Essendon were good last week against the Dorks and will be taking us on coming off a six day break. If it's close at 3/4 time your run could get you across the line.
If St.Kilda sustains its defensive pressure as per the first seven games, it's hard to see how you're going to kick a winning score. Who are your main avenues to goal besides Lloyd and Lucas? 'Scuse my ignorance about all things Essendon, do you expect that your speedy runners will also be the goal kickers.
Also read with some amusement references on this site to Roo as Nicola. Go on, tell me you wouldn't have him in your side. Same goes for the way you love to hate Milney. Stephen Milne : 172 games - 347 goals. And to think he was a Bomber rookie. No wonder you love to hate him.
Our goals have been coming from an even spread of players...last week Lloyd and Lovett-Murray kicked three each out of a total of 17. Overall we had ten players kicking goals and the expectation this week will be to have a similar spread.

I don't mind Reiwoldt but Milne is a turd of a man who just happens to be able to play the game well. I applaud his skill but his persona and mannerisms shit me to tears.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

visiting saint wrote:Hi guys. Dropping in to see what Bomber fans' expectations are for the game against the mighty Saints this Sunday.
Good post considering the source :lol: . I am not among those who don't rate Reiwolt. He is a phenomonal player who's only flaw is erratic kicking. I was at the final against Collingwood last year and it was one of the best individual performances I have seen. He marked everything that came near him 1-1, 2-1, 3-1 it didn't seem to matter. He also has the requisite tank required for CHF in today's football.

I'm among the "Tiprat" haters though. No logical reason, nor do I feel I need one. He's just on my list . One thing that has impressed me this year though is how hard he is working. His defensive pressure has been excellent. it must be catching down there.

We simply have to out pace you and break through. That is our avenue to victory. It will be a massive ask for us but not beyond the realms of possibility.
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

Sismis wrote: Good post considering the source :lol: . I am not among those who don't rate Reiwolt. He is a phenomonal player who's only flaw is erratic kicking. I was at the final against Collingwood last year and it was one of the best individual performances I have seen. He marked everything that came near him 1-1, 2-1, 3-1 it didn't seem to matter. He also has the requisite tank required for CHF in today's football.

I'm among the "Tiprat" haters though. No logical reason, nor do I feel I need one. He's just on my list . One thing that has impressed me this year though is how hard he is working. His defensive pressure has been excellent. it must be catching down there.

We simply have to out pace you and break through. That is our avenue to victory. It will be a massive ask for us but not beyond the realms of possibility.
G'day Sismis. Thanks for the back-handed compliment. :) Nice to come onto an opposition forum and not be met with a torrent of abuse or just eb completely ignored.
Looking at the goal kicking list, apart from Lloyd with 13, your next highest is Lovett with 7. Then Stanton, Macphee, Winderlich and Monfires. Looks like you will be relying on an even spread of goal kickers unless Lloyd has a blinder. And if the Saints manage to maintain their defensive intensity it's hard to see that happening. But one week at a time and all that, so anything could happen. I liked the Bombers last Friday night. Was good to see the spirit and willingness to take a risk in the young blokes.
Dawson will get Lloyd for sure (and what a surprise he's been. If you'd told me three months ago that with a back six including Zac Dawson, Farren Ray, Jason Blake and Sam Gilbert that we'd be conceding 54 points a game, and no Max Hudghton, Matt Maguire or Raph Clarke, I'd have scoffed, but that's what's happening). Not sure that individual match-ups will have the import that overall team intensity and effort have though.
Coming off a six day vs nine day break, and if the Bombers can sustain four quarters of intensity and run, run, run, then I reckon they could knock the Saints off, but I'm still tipping the Saints by 25 or so. I'm not one eyed or anything.

Good to see that even though you love to hate Milney for no particular reason other than he's Stephen Milne, you can still recognise his improvement and roundedness as an AFL player now. I'd probably hate him too if he played for someone else. But I don't and he doesn't. I hate Lloyd for no really good reason. I reckon he's a chronic stager and I love to call him a big girl (ducks for cover), but really I can see he's an absolute champ, one of the best kicks for goal we've seen in recent times
(even if he does throw the grass up under the roof), a great leap and an excellent pair of hands. He's on the downhill slope now, but he's still a threat. In spite of all that, i still hate him. :D

Also good to hear that you recognise what a champ Riewoldt is. Anyone who reckons he's soft hasn't watched St.Kilda much. He's as courageous as they come, stupidly so at times. Four time B&F and heading towards being one of our all time greats.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

First of all, it's good to see an opposition poster coming along to the site! Naturally you guys are deserving favourites. You are coming off a short break though. But our side is vastly inexperienced compared to your blokes. We all know what happened the last time you played us with an inexperienced line up. There's 108 reasons to remember
We don't really know. Every week I turn up to our games wondering the same thing. And I have generally walked away pleasantly surprised at the shared contribution from a number of players. It is a mystery who will step up this week.
If St.Kilda sustains its defensive pressure as per the first seven games, it's hard to see how you're going to kick a winning score.
Understatement.
Who are your main avenues to goal besides Lloyd and Lucas? 'Scuse my ignorance about all things Essendon, do you expect that your speedy runners will also be the goal kickers.
As mentioned before, we have a number of contributors from week to week. Personally, I think we are generally struggling in this department (as you may be aware of the dropping of Lucas and the speculation over Lloyd's form).
Well, I have been a critic of Riewoldt over the years. Reason? Because he appears to be a champ from R1 to R22, but really hasn't delivered on the big stage in September. Your mob has had 3 shots to enter the Grand Final in the last 5 years, and it was a perfect opportunity for Nick to show everyone what all the hype he's been attracting...like a Brereton, a Carey, a Jonathon Brown etc, who have turned it on when it matters. But this is where Riewoldt has been a little disappointing. He may very well be your greatest ever player. But he'd want to be remembered as one who was responsible for your club achieving the ultimate.

As for Milne, I think he's terrific. Great value indeed. He may be an annoying shit to most opposition supporters, but so what. He has a great set of numbers. I would love to have a small forward with that sort of impact at our club. I miss Darren Bewick - another who seemed to get up the goat of most oppostion supporters.

Anhyow's, enjoy the game this Sunday. I'd expect you'd be singing your club song at the end of it. :wink:
Essendunny
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

BenDoolan wrote: Well, I have been a critic of Riewoldt over the years. Reason? Because he appears to be a champ from R1 to R22, but really hasn't delivered on the big stage in September. Your mob has had 3 shots to enter the Grand Final in the last 5 years, and it was a perfect opportunity for Nick to show everyone what all the hype he's been attracting...like a Brereton, a Carey, a Jonathon Brown etc, who have turned it on when it matters. But this is where Riewoldt has been a little disappointing. He may very well be your greatest ever player. But he'd want to be remembered as one who was responsible for your club achieving the ultimate.

As for Milne, I think he's terrific. Great value indeed. He may be an annoying shit to most opposition supporters, but so what. He has a great set of numbers. I would love to have a small forward with that sort of impact at our club. I miss Darren Bewick - another who seemed to get up the goat of most oppostion supporters.

Anhyow's, enjoy the game this Sunday. I'd expect you'd be singing your club song at the end of it. :wink:
G'day Ben. Nice post. Reckon you're being a bit harsh on Roo there. He's been good in finals without ripping the game apart. I can see where you're coming from, but I also think he's only as good as the team around him. Brereton, Carey and Brown were part of multiple flag winning sides and the reflected glory makes them look even better. I suppose it's a bit of a chicken and egg argument because you could argue that their sides wouldn't have won multiple flags without them. But yes, I agree with you that for Roo to be considered in the same class as Brereton and Carey he needs to be part of a flag or two.
It's also hard to compare eras because of the way the game has changed, even since Brisbane were a juggernaut. Superstar forwards seem to be less dominant than mids nowadays. Carey was an absolute freak in his ability to win contested ball and Brereton was rough and tough as well as a damn good footballer. Their dominance was the focal point of their team's dominance. Now we have Buddy, Roughead, Fev, Riewoldt, Brown and Richo as big dominant forwards but there's less emphasis on individual superstars now than there is on structures, efficiency and team focused actions.

Yep, no doubt any other club would love to have Milne's goal sneak prowess. He's been delivering two goals a game on average for years now.
And I certainly bloody hope I'll be listening to "Oh When the Saints" after the game on Sunday. As I said previously, I think the Bombers are in with a chance and I don't think at all it will be a blow out like our previous wins.
And.......... I've been supporting the Saints for 40+ years, so I don't take anything for granted, even when we're looking a million dollars. One week at a time. Premiers in May means jackshit.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Good to see a non-bomber supporter actually posting something with intelligence rather than the usual crap that most posters who go onto other club's forums seem to do...

I tend to agree with your tip re 25 points, but that is if we play like we did against the Dawks....if we play like we did against Brisvegas or Norf, the result could be something akin to last year :(

In regards to Reiwoldt, he is definately a good player, but I can't class him as great...he definately has more good games than bad (unlike Richo), but goes missing when he is most needed as others have pointed out...

Without knowing him, my perception of Milne is that he an excellent player, but generally a turd off the field...when on song, he is one of the best to watch (which is why opposition supporters generally love to hate him... :lol: )
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Crazyman wrote:Good to see a non-bomber supporter actually posting something with intelligence rather than the usual crap that most posters who go onto other club's forums seem to do...
I tend to agree with your tip re 25 points, but that is if we play like we did against the Dawks....if we play like we did against Brisvegas or Norf, the result could be something akin to last year :(

In regards to Reiwoldt, he is definately a good player, but I can't class him as great...he definately has more good games than bad (unlike Richo), but goes missing when he is most needed as others have pointed out...

Without knowing him, my perception of Milne is that he an excellent player, but generally a turd off the field...when on song, he is one of the best to watch (which is why opposition supporters generally love to hate him... :lol: )
I agree, its nice to have opposition supporters come on here and have decent, intelligent things to say!!!

Im looking forward to the contest on Sunday as it will be a great challenge for our young side and im sure many are remembering the hiding they gave us last year. Im sure we have enough avenues to goal. Lloyd, Neagle, Gus and Natrat will be the main avenues it seems then you have guys like Lovett, Davey, Stants, Licha, Zaka and co chipping in with some as well. Zaka easily could have had 4 or 5 if he was online last week.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Mate, you've answered it yourself:

If St Kilda sustains its defensive pressure as per the first seven games, it's hard to see how we're going to kick a winning score.

The only thing I think we have in our favour in terms of that statement is that you guys are going to be shocked by the defensive pressure that our forward line will apply to your half backs. Going from VFL to AFL is one thing. Going from AFL to Alwyn Davey is something completely different. I've seen seasoned veterans shit their pants under the pressure he applies.

I think you rightfully go in as favourites. But if anyone at Moorabbin (Frankston?) thinks that we remotely resemble the side that you flogged in R22 2008 you're kidding yourself. We had two first gamers playing that day because we had an injury list of 20 odd.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Hi Visiting Saint - sorry, I dont share the "love in" welcoming committee mentality of some of my esteemed fellow Bombertalkers.

I hate your club and everything it represents. I hope Lloydy puts Milne in hospital for 3 years. I hope we cream your fairy disco boys all the way back to the Sandy foreshore!

Other than that, welcome to Bombertalk
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Windy_Hill wrote:Hi Visiting Saint - sorry, I dont share the "love in" welcoming committee mentality of some of my esteemed fellow Bombertalkers.

I hate your club and everything it represents. I hope Lloydy puts Milne in hospital for 3 years. I hope we cream your fairy disco boys all the way back to the Sandy foreshore!

Other than that, welcome to Bombertalk
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper »

lmao
I agree was nice to have a fan from another club that actually has something up top.
But having said that I still hope that we kick your ass on Sunday and your halos choke you :wink:
Go Bombers you good thing... :)
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Let's just hope for everyone's sake that it's a fairly even and hard fought game.

(OMG I sound so even handed and reasonable - what's got into me - must be the thought that an opposition supporter is reading this forum too!! :shock: )
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

personally I hope the EFC gives stkilda the shock of their season......with a blistering 6 goal victory.

we all know 'good' essendon can deliver. trouble is that has rarely turned up after a win the week before and stkilda are in shit hot form.

the glaring weakness I think for us is out forward line(or basically the strength of stkildas back six).
hopefully our mids will kick some.(stants/lovett/davey etc)

glaring weakness for saints? the only one i can think of is potential complacency. unlikely given our result last week thats a long shot. we are on the radar.
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

Well, now that the welcome mat has been extended, followed by Ron Andrews stepping out from behind the fridge with the elbows extended, all in all I'd say thanks for having me on your forum, not that you had any choice.

I too have my footy roots in the tribal days when footy was played at suburban grounds on Saturday afternoons, so I well understand the hatred of particular teams that people harbour. (G'day Windy_ Hill, thanks for your kind comments about the Saints, great to know that you love the RW&B). I made plenty of trips into enemy territory to Wndy Hill in my youth, mostly to witness a flogging. Personally I have a well grounded and thoroughly reasonable hatred of Carlton. May the criminal, la-de-da arseclowns in navy blue disappear overnight. May Criminal Park burn to the ground and their insurance policy be out of date. May their arrogant, smug, self-importance be laid waste at the feet of eternal wooden spoons (yes, I know plenty about wooden spoons). I also have a thorough hatred of West Coast, but that's a result of living in Perth and having items about Ben Cousins brushing his teeth and Adam Hunter walking his dog regarded as credible news events.

I draw the line though at wishing players be put in hospital for three years. That's too much. Unless of course it's someone like Chad Cornes or Daniel Kerr, that would be alright. I wouldn't of course wish that on any of the boys in red and black, not on this forum anyway :wink:

Andrewb I love this quote, "Going from VFL to AFL is one thing. Going from AFL to Alwyn Davey is something completely different.". :lol: It will be interesting to see if the Bombers come to play with real intensity and pressure. People are saying various things like, "the Saints haven't played anyone of real quality yet". Or, "no-one has applied real pressure yet". So far though, no-one has been allowed to. Whether or not St.Kilda can keep it up for a whole season remains to be seen. As a long term Saints member, I'm not getting too far ahead of my self. You'd think they would have to drop off a bit at some point. This week could be it. One week at a time etc.

And g'day Billyduckworth. Did you know that Billy Duckworth is currently the coach of North Beach FC in the WAAFL? The Perth version of the Ammos. I've witnessed a few of his 1/4 time and 3/4 time addresses. He's coached them to eight flags in the past ten years. Not a bad effort.

So thanks for the welcome guys. I don't think anyone in our camp is expecting a blow out and many, like me, regard it as our biggest game so far this year and will be happy with a win of any size. Another big win would be awesome though, so may the Saints whip your arse.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

When it looks like Goddard is going to struggle to get back in. It is going to be a tough back six to get the ball past.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

visiting saint wrote: Personally I have a well grounded and thoroughly reasonable hatred of Carlton. May the criminal, la-de-da arseclowns in navy blue disappear overnight. May Criminal Park burn to the ground and their insurance policy be out of date. May their arrogant, smug, self-importance be laid waste at the feet of eternal wooden spoons (yes, I know plenty about wooden spoons).
Ah, you've won many friends right here and now :wink: :lol:

I'm enjoying reading your stuff. Hope you hang around for a while.

Long time Saint supporter eh? You'd have some good stories to tell. Oh, and I have to ask.......you're not Molly Meldrum are you? :-k
Essendunny
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

BenDoolan wrote:
visiting saint wrote: Personally I have a well grounded and thoroughly reasonable hatred of Carlton. May the criminal, la-de-da arseclowns in navy blue disappear overnight. May Criminal Park burn to the ground and their insurance policy be out of date. May their arrogant, smug, self-importance be laid waste at the feet of eternal wooden spoons (yes, I know plenty about wooden spoons).
Ah, you've won many friends right here and now :wink: :lol:

I'm enjoying reading your stuff. Hope you hang around for a while.

Long time Saint supporter eh? You'd have some good stories to tell. Oh, and I have to ask.......you're not Molly Meldrum are you? :-k
cheers Ben. Nah mate. Not Molly. Am yet to see a flag but hope springs eternal.
Have been a Saint since I could walk. It was a barrack for St.Kilda or move out kind of household. Went to Windy Hill plenty of times as a youngster. One of my favourite players of that era was Goggles Blethyn. Used to love the fact that he played with glasses. I never really developed any dislike for the Bombers, they've always been neutral for me and they've had some great players over the years. Van Der Haar, Hird, Simon Madden, Michael Long, Gavin Wanganeen.
Have watched with envy your multiple premierships during my lifetime and been to some great games. Will never forget walking into the gents loo at the MCG after the 1984 GF and the whole place heaving with ecstatic Essendon supporters. 'See the Bombers Fly Up' being bellowed by hundreds of delirious red faced blokes inside a concrete loo was something I wont forget and I remember then wondering how it would feel if it were my team. Some of you will empathise, some like Windy_Hill will want to rub it in and tell me what a crap club we are. Whatever. Have never even considered supporting anyone else. Once a Saint, always a Saint. It's that kind of club loyalty that was the root of Melbourne's tribal football culture.