Essendon v Port Adelaide Pre Match Discussion

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Essendon v Port Adelaide Pre Match Discussion

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:Essendon, the masters of the Stage Managed Blockbusters and Kings of the Anti Climax

Yeah, we are great when its a 'mid season final' or when we are up against one of our big rivals, but when it comes to backing up against other sides, run of the mill sides, we are woeful
Well Port are sitting in the 8 with 4 wins out of 6 (played 3 teams in the top 8 - Geel, Saints & Brisbane) and we are languishing in 12th spot with 2 wins from 6 (also playing 3 teams in the top 8 - Geel, Freo & Coll). Not sure Port are so "run of the mill" in comparison to us...

Geez Ben, you know what I mean :roll:
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

I think we need one more tall with Pears out. We got away with it last week against whorethorn but if one of the bigger boys goes down we will be rolling with an undersized NLM or Hille will be rucking alone with Ryder being used as a KPP.

Welsh and Dyson are definite outs obviously.

Knighta loves willo so he may get a recall. Plus he hates Houli, so prolly no dice for him. Howlett seems out of favour too.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:Essendon, the masters of the Stage Managed Blockbusters and Kings of the Anti Climax

Yeah, we are great when its a 'mid season final' or when we are up against one of our big rivals, but when it comes to backing up against other sides, run of the mill sides, we are woeful
Well Port are sitting in the 8 with 4 wins out of 6 (played 3 teams in the top 8 - Geel, Saints & Brisbane) and we are languishing in 12th spot with 2 wins from 6 (also playing 3 teams in the top 8 - Geel, Freo & Coll). Not sure Port are so "run of the mill" in comparison to us...

Geez Ben, you know what I mean :roll:
Apparently not :lol:
Essendunny
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

No chance this week, especially if Motlop plays. Have not beaten these inbreds since 2004 and only once since 2001.

Knights will still be under pressure if we lose, and so should the players. Surely we can play decent football for more than a week?
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

Apparently Myers is pushing for selection according to Knighta. Looks like Knighta wants to lose.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

DC2 wrote:Apparently Myers is pushing for selection according to Knighta. Looks like Knighta wants to lose.
AGREED.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Myers? We'd be better off with David f****** Jones playing for us.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

How many times since 2004 have we played them at the Dome? - a couple I would imagine - we all know our record on the road.

Any who - the odds are a crock. They are playing better than us atm - not to say that they are a better side.

Saturday could make up for one of the two losses (freo and WCE) that we should not have had - or rather we hoped that we could have won.

Geelong, Freo and Collngwood are not losses that we should be that embarrased about - it is the way we lost to Freo and Collingwood that was embarrassing. So it's make up time for that piss weak effort against the Weagles.

Win and some faith is restored.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

Normally, playing Port fills me with dread, it wouldn't matter how either teams' been going, they somehow play 150% and we play about 10%.
Just one of those teams that bring out the worst in us, ala North Melbourne.

However this weekend i reckon will be a different story . We are more due than 10 month pregnant woman, and its about time we turned it around.

I'm pretty confident the $1,75 for us will turn out to be good odds..
"your'e like a girl standing out the front of a chemist…..Too scared to go in and get the pill!"
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

We haven't played Port for over a year so who knows how we'll match up on them.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

If we show Port the respect we should, then we are a chance. However, if we go around dining out on past glories, then we are doomed. Problem with Essendon is that there remains this deluded self belief that we are still the great side of past eras and not the shite we have become. As such, I believe that the whole club sub-consciously looks down its collective noses at the Fremantles and Port Adelaides and the North Melbournes.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

This one worries me (Don't they all!!) on the basis that I have watched the Hawthorn game several times and they really were shite. Similar to our win against the scum, the opposition on the day was mediocre to say the least.

We once again have to treat this game a season defining and not sit back thinking we have turned the corner. Port have had a good start to the season and will see us as a more than 50/50 chance of picking up 4 points.

Get over this mob and I can see some hope for the year. Fail and we are in the sh#thouse again.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Out: Welsh, Dyson

In: Howlett

I don't know who else. Maybe T. SLattery or Melsham back in? Before I knew that Dyson was injured and Bendigo had even played I wanted Howlett in for Dyson. Must com in now.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Jetta a chance?
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Went into a TAB last night.. The Dons have been backed in to $1.68 from $1.75, Port out to $2.10 from $2.00...

That's a fair amount of cash to make a change like that.. Certainly wasn't any of mine.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Gimps wrote:Went into a TAB last night.. The Dons have been backed in to $1.68 from $1.75, Port out to $2.10 from $2.00...

That's a fair amount of cash to make a change like that.. Certainly wasn't any of mine.

I worry about the betting trends in Football when you have two clubs, with large and small (ish) followings playing each other. The sentimental bet coming from the large club can skew the odds in a misleading way. I wonder what percentage of bets are casual wagers by Bomber fans just blindly backing their team. Its like footy tipping where people never tip against their own side
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

They are unbelievable odds for a team that was in the sh#thouse barely 7 days ago. I had a nice return last week getting 10/1 on a 39 point margin but they won't see any of my hard earned this week at that price no matter how sentimental I am.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Windy_Hill wrote:
Gimps wrote:Went into a TAB last night.. The Dons have been backed in to $1.68 from $1.75, Port out to $2.10 from $2.00...

I worry about the betting trends in Football when you have two clubs, with large and small (ish) followings playing each other. The sentimental bet coming from the large club can skew the odds in a misleading way. I wonder what percentage of bets are casual wagers by Bomber fans just blindly backing their team. Its like footy tipping where people never tip against their own side
Port fans(who are gamblers) wouldn't be so worried. I don't tip against essendon, but tipping Port there is almost bet of the round.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I havre tipped against the Dons but could never wager a bet against them to lose.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

rockhole wrote:I havre tipped against the Dons but could never wager a bet against them to lose.
ahhh i meant bet in my post. don't bet against the bombers ever.