Hurley or Watts

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Hurley or Watts

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Would you pick Hurley before watts ? Interesting question posed in todays Herald Sun. Hurley was no 5 draft pick watts no. 1 in the 2009 draft.

To date Hurley has 1386 votes , watts 326 ( which is i believe the number of melbourne members that not retreated to the snowfields.)
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Re: Hurley or Watts

Post by rockhole »

Hurley is going to be an out and out champion. I put Watts in the Gibbs bucket. May have a ton of skill but appears to lack any degree of bottle. Both very hesitant and reluctant to get their hands dirty.

Hurley appears to have no fear at all!! :D
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I feel sorry for Watts. I watched him on Sunday, works very hard, leads to the right places, they simply do not kick it to him. At one stage he was by himself 20m for goal and they kicked it to Jurrah 1 on 4, 40m out.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

looooolllll Watts is beating Hurley in the poll?

This will be the only time you'll see the phrase "Watts is beating Hurley". Ever.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Sismis wrote:I feel sorry for Watts. I watched him on Sunday, works very hard, leads to the right places, they simply do not kick it to him. At one stage he was by himself 20m for goal and they kicked it to Jurrah 1 on 4, 40m out.
Very true.

Not to mention the kid is what 19? 20? He's a year younger then Hurley and while Hurley spent the first season turning into a man mountain Watts was finishing school. Not denying Hurley is better, coz he is by a long way, but Hurley has had the advantage of being able to focus solely on the footy, his teammates kick it to him AND he's played in position. Bailey seems to think Watts should play HFF. Stupid.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

BomberinJapan wrote:looooolllll Watts is beating Hurley in the poll?

This will be the only time you'll see the phrase "Watts is beating Hurley". Ever.
No...Hurley is winning 4:1

Way too early to be doing such a poll (unless you're struggling for ideas to write about).

They said the same things about Hodge after the "superdraft when it was Hodge, Ball then Judd.

As it turned out, Hodge is at least as good as Judge and way better than Ball.

Watts may not make it but it is too early to be writing him off.

Hurley, well he's just awesome :D
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Agree way too early
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

swoodley wrote:
BomberinJapan wrote:looooolllll Watts is beating Hurley in the poll?

No...Hurley is winning 4:1

Way too early to be doing such a poll (unless you're struggling for ideas to write about).

They said the same things about Hodge after the "superdraft when it was Hodge, Ball then Judd.

As it turned out, Hodge is at least as good as Judge and way better than Ball.

Watts may not make it but it is too early to be writing him off.

Hurley, well he's just awesome :D
Ahh ok yes, somehow missed the 1 at the start of Hurley's numbers...bit tired heh
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

rockhole wrote:Hurley is going to be an out and out champion. I put Watts in the Gibbs bucket. May have a ton of skill but appears to lack any degree of bottle. Both very hesitant and reluctant to get their hands dirty.

As much as I hate Carlton I have to defend Gibbs here. He's Carlton's second best player and he's turning into one of the best players in the competition. If you want to make comparisons how about Gibbs and Gumbleton... if only Essendon had of thrown that one game. Or better yet we could start comparing Watts and Gumbleton... which one would you take?
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

2 years too early that article, but in saying that the traditional FF is almost dead these days, i think it died with Lloyd IMHO, need to add more strings to your bow these days and Watts will spend too much time trying to expand his game rather then improving what he already is
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

ZeroEffect wrote:
rockhole wrote:Hurley is going to be an out and out champion. I put Watts in the Gibbs bucket. May have a ton of skill but appears to lack any degree of bottle. Both very hesitant and reluctant to get their hands dirty.

As much as I hate Carlton I have to defend Gibbs here. He's Carlton's second best player and he's turning into one of the best players in the competition. If you want to make comparisons how about Gibbs and Gumbleton... if only Essendon had of thrown that one game. Or better yet we could start comparing Watts and Gumbleton... which one would you take?
LOL, the bloke isn't called Bryce Sqibbs for nothing. Even his own supporters question his courage.

So far, he's made a name for himself as a loose man in defence.
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Hurley is always going to get more opportunities playing in a better position and having a decent midfield kicking the ball to him. I don't think I've seen Watts play down back yet either which is something Hurley can do.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

robrulz5 wrote: I don't think I've seen Watts play down back yet either which is something Hurley can do.
Or bang through many 50m goals on his left :D
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

ZeroEffect wrote:

He's not Carltons second best player and he's nowhere near being one of the best in the comp.

Even Carlton fans are calling for him to back moved to the HBF out of the middle.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Haha, love the name Bryce Squibbs... I just rate him as a very good player and wish he was at Essendon instead of Gumbleton, he seems to calve us up every time. If he's not Carlton's second best player who is?
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Hurley tearing it up week to week and Watts being talked about getting dropped...........
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Jazz_84 wrote:Hurley tearing it up week to week and Watts being talked about getting dropped...........
If Watts can't get a kick up against Harmichael this week then he may as well give it away!
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Sismis wrote:I feel sorry for Watts. I watched him on Sunday, works very hard, leads to the right places, they simply do not kick it to him. At one stage he was by himself 20m for goal and they kicked it to Jurrah 1 on 4, 40m out.

That's because he's already signed with GWS!

Hurley on the other hand aint going anywhere!
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.