Mark Williams retires.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Re: Mark Williams retires.

Post by little_ripper »

Windy_Hill wrote:In all ways, arguably the worst trade in all of AFL History

"The former Hawthorn forward linked with the Bombers on a three-year deal after the 2009 season as part of a deal where the Bombers gave up pick No.16 and allowed Andrew Lovett to briefly join St Kilda"
well we did let Lovett go at the right time. Kind of glad we didn't pay him the cash he demanded given how his life spiraled afterwards.

swings n round abouts.

saved on lovey lost on williams.

as said earlier though, would have loved to have kept pick 16 in hindsight...but who knows, we might have just picked Carlisle earlier with it...who knows if the recruiters had their eyes on the other guys picked between 16 and 24....
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

"The former Hawthorn forward linked with the Bombers on a three-year deal after the 2009 season as part of a deal where the Bombers gave up pick No.16 and allowed Andrew Lovett to briefly join St Kilda"

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/w ... z1TA5zb1R3
Really? Can you explain to me how Neale and Terry Daniher ended up at Essendon?

For Williams, we lost Lovett or Pick 16. As said by LR, who could we have picked up betweek 16 and 23? Port used the pick of Pettard (is that his name?), he has won a rising star nomination this year.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

surely the Lloyd deal was one of the best in history

win some lose some
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

BenDoolan wrote:Goes down in elite company with Richard Cole, Scott Camporeale, Justin Murphy, Ty Zantuck, Mark Alvey.....
and Ben Doolan :lol:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swoodley wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Goes down in elite company with Richard Cole, Scott Camporeale, Justin Murphy, Ty Zantuck, Mark Alvey.....
I refer you back to the 2nd page and my response to gimpa :wink:
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Rossoneri wrote:For Williams, we lost Lovett or Pick 16. As said by LR, who could we have picked up betweek 16 and 23? Port used the pick of Pettard (is that his name?), he has won a rising star nomination this year.
Rosso ... to restate what got lost in some earlier banter:

Options that could have been ... but weren't cos we gave up pick 16 for this deal:
17. Daniel Menzel (Geelong)
18. Luke Tapscott (Melbourne)
20. Nat Fyfe (Fremantle)
21. Ryan Bastinac (North Melbourne)
23. Koby Stevens (West Coast)

Sure we got Carlisle at 24 (the pick we gained) and Colyer at 26 ... both with huge upside (and at the same time we offloaded Nash)

While North may have picked Carsile over Black (Pick 25) he may well have spilled to us anyway. Colyer was a bit of a suprise pick at 26 given his size and skill level.

While the above five "missed opportunities" are certainly guns, we had Zacha and Reimers to do the Menzel role. However, Fyfe, Bastinac and Stevens will be/are guns and would have been very welcome in the red and black
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

BenDoolan wrote:
swoodley wrote:
I refer you back to the 2nd page and my response to gimpa :wink:
I didn't see that...f***..you were a bloody champion and I never knew it :mrgreen:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Rossoneri wrote:

For Williams, we lost Lovett or Pick 16. As said by LR, who could we have picked up betweek 16 and 23? Port used the pick of Pettard (is that his name?), he has won a rising star nomination this year.

No No No

You got it wrong - its the worse trade in the sense of how it ended up for both clubs - especially given the profile of the players and draft picks concerned - capiche?
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

s'dreams wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:For Williams, we lost Lovett or Pick 16. As said by LR, who could we have picked up betweek 16 and 23? Port used the pick of Pettard (is that his name?), he has won a rising star nomination this year.
Rosso ... to restate what got lost in some earlier banter:

Options that could have been ... but weren't cos we gave up pick 16 for this deal:
17. Daniel Menzel (Geelong)
18. Luke Tapscott (Melbourne)
20. Nat Fyfe (Fremantle)
21. Ryan Bastinac (North Melbourne)
23. Koby Stevens (West Coast)

Sure we got Carlisle at 24 (the pick we gained) and Colyer at 26 ... both with huge upside (and at the same time we offloaded Nash)

While North may have picked Carsile over Black (Pick 25) he may well have spilled to us anyway. Colyer was a bit of a suprise pick at 26 given his size and skill level.

While the above five "missed opportunities" are certainly guns, we had Zacha and Reimers to do the Menzel role. However, Fyfe, Bastinac and Stevens will be/are guns and would have been very welcome in the red and black
Oh dear, wish you hadn't brought that back up. That's seriously depressing.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Windy_Hill wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:

I think everyone lost in that trade, Hawthorn included.
No No No

You got it wrong - its the worse trade in the sense of how it ended up for both clubs - especially given the profile of the players and draft picks concerned - capiche?
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Who gives a f***? Yeah it was a shit trade, and we have had a few.

Look at the good ones though - like the Lloyd trade, and the one where we got Wellman & Barnard.

As someone said above, win some lose some.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Gimps wrote:
Look at the good ones though - like the Lloyd trade, and the one where we got Wellman & Barnard.
The Wellman & Barnard one would have been a lot better if we didn't give up Paul Salmon because we didn't want to play him in the ruck and then while he was playing well in the ruck at the Hawks we had to watch Paul Spuderville run out week in and week out as our number 1 ruckman.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I think I heard the other day that Harvey has likened Fyfe to Hird. #-o

The trade was a f*** up for Essendon.
Article today in The Age about how Geelong was a late addition to make the trade work with draft picks and they ended up with some good players out of it.

"Worth the risk" my arse. Our champion full-forward (2nd best at Essendon ever, one of the best all-time) had just retired because the coach wanted to play him out of position. Why the f*** immediately follow that by recruiting a lazy, tiny full forward with a dicky knee?
nudder12 wrote:And here's another thought - how much have we invested into Gumbleton so far? (Or Courtney Johns before him?) Both gambles, knowing full well they had injury issues. But at least Williams had a record of being a good player, and we may never get anything back from Gumby either. Of course I hope we do, but if we don't it's going to look just as bad in hindsight but until pretty recently plenty of folks in here have been hailing Gumby as the next messiah.
Was Gumby drafted with injury concerns or did they occur after?
And drafting is always a gamble, even with gun kids, we knew exactly what was coming with Williams.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

ealesy wrote:
Gimps wrote:
The Wellman & Barnard one would have been a lot better if we didn't give up Paul Salmon because we didn't want to play him in the ruck and then while he was playing well in the ruck at the Hawks we had to watch Paul Spuderville run out week in and week out as our number 1 ruckman.
That makes no sense at all....if we hadn't given up Salmon, the deal would not have happened and so we wouldn't have got Wellman & Barnard.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

swoodley wrote:
ealesy wrote:
Gimps wrote:
That makes no sense at all....if we hadn't given up Salmon, the deal would not have happened and so we wouldn't have got Wellman & Barnard.
What? Salmon was never going to play in the ruck for us. And wasn't really setting the world on fire for us at the time either. We got Wellman & Barnard who were rippers.

And yeah, it was Peter Sommerville, not Paul.