The Politics Thread.

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
BERT
Champion of Essendon

The Politics Thread.

Post by BERT »

Rather than hijack threads like the Moron of the Week thread, I think we should have a politics thread.

Post away.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Re: The Politics Thread.

Post by bomberdonnie »

I don't really give f*** about politics for many many reasons
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Current state of play, one thieving whoremonger has relegated Australa to the dark ages. No chance of an emissions scheme in the foreseeable future and probably the end of the NBN as well.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Hopeless and incompetent government.
Undisciplined and untrusted opposition.

Where the f*** do we go from here?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Pull the f****** thing apart and start again.

For starters, this is the shittest ensemble of a government in the history of this nation. Power in the hands of some Independants and the motherfucking Greens.

I hope we never see this sort of result EVER again.
Essendunny
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

After over 20 years of living in the middle of this shit, I have become completely disengaged. I only vote Labor now because I couldnt think of a more detestable pack of c**** than the Libs/Nats. But i have no faith or confidence in any of them. They all panda to the media, and the lowest common denominator, and the first thing the c**** think about when they get up every day is how they are going to control the news cycle.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

BenDoolan wrote:Pull the f****** thing apart and start again.

For starters, this is the shittest ensemble of a government in the history of this nation. Power in the hands of some Independants and the motherfucking Greens.

I hope we never see this sort of result EVER again.
I nearly wrote (typed then deleted) - for god's sake - at the next election - please vote for a major party - don't go anywhere near the independents or greens, or any other minor party. If you really want to protest against the major parties - just donkey vote.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

robbie67 wrote:After over 20 years of living in the middle of this shit, I have become completely disengaged. I only vote Labor now because I couldnt think of a more detestable pack of c**** than the Libs/Nats. But i have no faith or confidence in any of them. They all panda to the media, and the lowest common denominator, and the first thing the c**** think about when they get up every day is how they are going to control the news cycle.
My sentiments exactly.
filthy2

Post by filthy2 »

These 2 articles pretty well sum up the current situation for me. It is 1975'ish.

It's the distraction that's the terrible thing. Everybody agrees.

The Opposition is, for its part, gutted that this whole regrettable Thomson affair is crimping the Government's ability to govern properly. And we know very well how much the Opposition, additionally, regrets the extent to which Parliament as well is being paralysed by what Christopher Pyne calls the "allegations, claims and supposed misrepresentations" which have "dribbled out" about Mr Thomson in recent weeks.

We know, because Mr Pyne gets up in Parliament about every 30 seconds to re-dribble them, while bemoaning the fact that Parliament is unable to discuss anything else.

We also know that Julia Gillard is paralysed by her inability, in light of the Thomson affair, to get her message out on anything else. This is something we mostly know because the woman can't step out of doors without being bailed up by a large pack of journos demanding to know how she feels about being unable to get her message out

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-26/c ... on/2857310

Despite a long economic boom and some of the highest living standards in the world, Australia seems to be gripped by a malaise. The economy is still growing and most of us have jobs. But costs of living are rising, and uncertainty is corroding the confidence of consumers in ways that don't reflect Australia's strong economic fundamentals. In politics, an unpopular Government struggles to implement unpopular policies, while a ruthless Opposition seizes every opportunity to attack no matter the consequences.

Many citizens are dismayed. Some are angry. And if they paid any attention to federal politics this week, they should be

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/2857242.html
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

oh poor juliar can't get her "message" out because of the Thomson affair.... Boo Friggin Hoo .
and just what is that message... the carbon tax ??? Cause it was Sooooo well received first time around.
She has been gagged because if she does come out swinging then she knows that the Thomson crap will be thrown at her and she will be forced to take a side... And I am guessing if she took the side she wants to that Craig will be OUT and we will all be back tp the polls
And I think we all know how that will end up
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Can someone please explain the vitriol they have aimed at the Greens and the indpendants? What exactly have they done to earn it? They campaigned stating thier intent and have followed through.

You bemoan the fact our two party system is f***** then slag off the people who are trying to do something about it. You effectively give Labor he scapegoat they need
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

The whole thing with the Thomson matter is that there is an allegation and no charges have been laid. My take on it is that it seems to be related to forces within the union that are diametrically opposed. Despite this, bile keeps getting spewed out from Abbott and co about it. The only criminal charges that have been laid relate to the Liberal senator.

As you all know I am a supporter of Labor party and most of their agenda so I hope they do hang on until people see reason on issues like the carbon tax, the mining tax and the NBN. I don't support the "Malaysian solution", however, I see that they are in a quandary about people taking dangerous journeys across the seas to get here. At least we will take in 4000 out of the Malaysian refugee camps.

In regards the mining tax - why the hell shouldn't the Australian people have a slice, beyond company tax, of the $22 billion profit BHP posted on Thursday ? Abbott, on the hand, runs around like the obligatory headless chook squawking "great big tax on everything , great big tax on everything" and the media don't take this guy to task. This recipe has been repeated over and again. Labor has a good and right policy, Mr No, Abbott, carries on about it like the sky is going to fall in and the media swallow his line hook line and sinker because they are on the whole a bunch of lazy f-ckers who are obsessed with sound bites. So where are we now ?

The Labor Party has seen us through the global financial crisis without letting our economy go into recession. During the time they were stimulating the economy - which was how this was averted - the Liberal Party opposed the stimulus. They said they would have had a more modest stimulus. To me the limited measures they were proposing would have seen us go down the same slippery slope the U.S. and Europe. We came out on top and Labor gets no credit for it.

The Liberal Party if it came to power is proposing to cut $70 billion out of the government expenditure. What effect will that have on the economy I ask ? Abbott is prepared to line himself up with one world government conspiracists, white Australia racists and any other pack of morons to get himself into power.

My worry is that Labor seems incapable of putting its good message across in a form that people are happy to listen to. It has lost the ear of the people and that is why Abbott has got so much traction.

As I have said before if the Liberal do take government I could only stand it if Turnbull was leader - at least he is prepared to have reasoned discussion of the facts.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sismis wrote:Can someone please explain the vitriol they have aimed at the Greens and the indpendants? What exactly have they done to earn it? They campaigned stating thier intent and have followed through.

You bemoan the fact our two party system is f***** then slag off the people who are trying to do something about it. You effectively give Labor he scapegoat they need
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that they could (and never will) govern in their own right. And because they hold the balance of power, they are trying to push their own self interest for the very few who voted for them. The Independants are governing for their electorate and not the nation. How else did Labor gain their support other than to promise the world to their electorate?

They can all go and get f***** as far as I'm concerned.
Essendunny
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

BenDoolan wrote:they are trying to push their own self interest for the very few who voted for them. The Independants are governing for their electorate and not the nation.
As opposed to the major parties who push their own self interest, and the even fewer who pay for them. At least the independants are representing the majority of the people who vote for them.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robbie67 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:they are trying to push their own self interest for the very few who voted for them. The Independants are governing for their electorate and not the nation.
As opposed to the major parties who push their own self interest, and the even fewer who pay for them. At least the independants are representing the majority of the people who vote for them.
See what you're saying, but why don't we all vote for Independants in all our electorates just so they look after the majority of their voters?

The problem is, no-one could form a government.
Essendunny
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Couldnt be worse than what we have now. The biggest joke of all is state politics in NSW. They have more criminals in Paliament than they have in Grafton Gaol.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robbie67 wrote:Couldnt be worse than what we have now. The biggest joke of all is state politics in NSW. They have more criminals in Paliament than they have in Grafton Gaol.
NSW is a disgrace.

I'm with ya mate. I am disengaged, disenchanted, disillusioned and almost totally disinterested in politics today.
Essendunny
boris
On the Rookie List

Post by boris »

I agree with everything every one has said.......!!!

What comes through in everyones' posts, is how broken it all is. Everyone is cynical about our political system and the media cycle which prevents already compromised "representatives" working in the best interests of our people.

I believe that Australians live in the best country. Institutional factional political mafia have hijacked our political system. If we could chuck it all out and start again.....

We need to decide TOGETHER who we are as a Nation, now in 2011 and who we want to be in the future.
REPUBLIC.
electrickery
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

The Gillard government is a good one.

what shits me is the absolute agenda against them in the media in Oz. its total bullshit.

the latest straw was the front page of the weekend australian, basically calling for a return of work choices.

f*** em.

regarding the libs, too poll driven, i know oppositions usually are but still.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

little_ripper wrote:The Gillard government is a good one.

what shits me is the absolute agenda against them in the media in Oz. its total bullshit.

the latest straw was the front page of the weekend australian, basically calling for a return of work choices.

f*** em.

regarding the libs, too poll driven, i know oppositions usually are but still.
Both parties are media driven. The seem to change policies every day based on the front page.

Has the Gillard government been a good one? I think they made a brave stand with the ETS. But they have completely adopted the Liberals' stance on asylum seekers, a stance they used to oppose. Still nothing on same sex marriage, something Gillard stood for in opposition. They also backed out of the mining tax.

On my scorecard, ETS and NBN are 2 massive ticks which have them ahead of the Liberals. In every other policy they seem identical.