Dr Who

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Dr Who

Post by s'dreams »

Will be female in 2018. Official - Jodie Whittaker (I dunno either) will be the 13th Doctor. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006q2x0
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Re: Dr Who

Post by Crazyman »

I am not a big Dr Who fan, but ffs, talk about going pc for sake of going pc...

Next Spock will become a transgender alien or trans alien or whatever next pc thing they can think of... :roll:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Dr What?
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Crazyman wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:21 am I am not a big Dr Who fan, but ffs, talk about going pc for sake of going pc...

Next Spock will become a transgender alien or trans alien or whatever next pc thing they can think of... :roll:
Unless they knew something in 1963 we didn't Crazyman.The Old Fart was capable of Sex Change.

"Certainly Not!"I can hear the Tepid Response and Rightly So!

Add two other Doctors Rolling in their TimeTombChambers.

So,Sean Pertwee missed out again?

Refer to Star Stories - Catherine Zeta Jones and Sadie FrostStories. :lol:

And (he missed out there too)Worzel Gummidge. :mrgreen:
Last edited by grassy1 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Crazyman wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:21 am I am not a big Dr Who fan, but ffs, talk about going pc for sake of going pc...

What do you think PC is?
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

As a long time major Who fan it's always been a wait and see prospect (usually have a verdict at the end of a season).
The script tends to be more of an issue.

Continuity isn't a strong point of new Who era & in terms of atmosphere even later old Who's were more a kids show.
New Who has very much introduced fantasy rather than realistic sci-fi elements (which always bug me). The best new Who eps have always been the most harrowing & believable.

Don't know much about the actor but looks appropriate for a female Gallifreyan of the Doctor's magnitude.
Would've preferred they waited for the Xmas special to reveal (marketing reasons win out perhaps).

I would be totally on board with a reasonable non-cheesy explanation or inference as to why a Timelord can now gender change (chance mutation, incident at time of regen). Don't think we'll get it, just will have to roll with it but that's standard Who.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Royza wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:29 pm As a long time major Who fan it's always been a wait and see prospect (usually have a verdict at the end of a season).
The script tends to be more of an issue.

Continuity isn't a strong point of new Who era & in terms of atmosphere even later old Who's were more a kids show.
New Who has very much introduced fantasy rather than realistic sci-fi elements (which always bug me). The best new Who eps have always been the most harrowing & believable.

Don't know much about the actor but looks appropriate for a female Gallifreyan of the Doctor's magnitude.
Would've preferred they waited for the Xmas special to reveal (marketing reasons win out perhaps).

I would be totally on board with a reasonable non-cheesy explanation or inference as to why a Timelord can now gender change (chance mutation, incident at time of regen). Don't think we'll get it, just will have to roll with it but that's standard Who.
I've struggled to get into it for this reason. Loved Dr. Who as a kid, but with so much great stuff out there, this keeps getting relegated to the backburner.

Are you on board the Expanse?
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Also don't like Simon Pegg turning Mr Sulu Gay and scripting Chekov right out of Enterprise,simply due to Anton Yeltsin's tragic sudden death.

Unless he does it in the Guise of Chekov being reassigned to another ship,like he was when he was in the Reliant,heading to Ceti Alpha 5.So Chekov and Co thought.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Sismis wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:27 pm

What do you think PC is?
Pure Crap :lol:
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

grassy1 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:53 pm Also don't like Simon Pegg turning Mr Sulu Gay and scripting Chekov right out of Enterprise,simply due to Anton Yeltsin's tragic sudden death.

Unless he does it in the Guise of Chekov being reassigned to another ship,like he was when he was in the Reliant,heading to Ceti Alpha 5.So Chekov and Co thought.
Ah yes, this reminds me of a Tony Curtis movie where he confronts an ancient Native American medicine man. The chant "panna witchy salatu" haunts him until he is reborn through his partner's neck. Freaky stuff!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Crazyman wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:35 pm

What do you think PC is?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Essendunny
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

What do you think PC is?
Nice attempt at deflection, what is your definition?
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Sismis wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:56 am

What do you think PC is?
is used to describe the avoidance of language or actions that are seen as excluding, marginalizing, or insulting groups of people who are seen as disadvantaged or discriminated against

Has this done to avoid excluding women? As someone who has never seen an episode of Dr Who I have no idea what the fuss is.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Sismis wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:51 pm Are you on board the Expanse?
Not yet. Thanks for reminding me, I'll add it to the queue. So much stuff to get through. I need to allocate some binge days.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Actually it's "Doctor Who". And I don't give a shit.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Well,it's Done now.

And Steven Moffatt,who's had the accusing finger pointed at him for this,has got his way.

Do we reverse things with his assistant and have a Male taggin' ' round?
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

boncer34 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:35 am

What do you think PC is?
is used to describe the avoidance of language or actions that are seen as excluding, marginalizing, or insulting groups of people who are seen as disadvantaged or discriminated against

Has this done to avoid excluding women? As someone who has never seen an episode of Dr Who I have no idea what the fuss is.
It is the idea that saying or doing something may potentially possibly offend some person or group so one avoids things like using gender related terms or potentially racial or religious terms.

However, it is usually some self righteous muppet who think others will be offended that gets offended as opposed to those they think will be offended. To summarise - Pure Crap :lol:
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Crazyman wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:46 pm
What do you think PC is?

It is the idea that saying or doing something may potentially possibly offend some person or group so one avoids things like using gender related terms or potentially racial or religious terms.

However, it is usually some self righteous muppet who think others will be offended that gets offended as opposed to those they think will be offended. To summarise - Pure Crap :lol:
So can you explain how this is "PC for the sake of being PC"?
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Sismis wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:27 am

Was I right?
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

boncer34 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:27 am
Sismis wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:27 am

Was I right?
That is a very good definition B-