SACK SMITH

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Re: SACK SMITH

Post by grassy1 »

Yep.

I still wait in vain for that next Elusive Sheffield Shield Victory.

That kid in the Bob Marley song “Wait in Vain” ,was more likely to find the girl of his dreams,than WA would winning the above trophy. :roll:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Latest;

Boof not involved - apparently. I find this hard to believe considering what took place after cameras caught Bancroft out. But anyway...

Warner, Smith and Bancroft all sent home and are facing severe sanctions from CA. Rightly so.

Renshaw, Burns and Maxwell are the replacements.

LOL at Glenn Maxwell replacing Steve Smith. Poetic justice? :lol:

Apparently, no other player knew. If that’s the case, then why are some heavily pointing the finger at Warner as the real instigator. Either you knew about the plot, or you didn’t.
Essendunny
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

BenDoolan wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:45 am Latest;

Boof not involved - apparently. I find this hard to believe considering what took place after cameras caught Bancroft out. But anyway...

Warner, Smith and Bancroft all sent home and are facing severe sanctions from CA. Rightly so.

Apparently, no other player knew. If that’s the case, then why are some heavily pointing the finger at Warner as the real instigator. Either you knew about the plot, or you didn’t.
True Ben, and if 'you' knew about it, you should have said NO FKNG WAY, so if you knew and went along with it then COP YOUR WHACK.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

BenDoolan wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:45 am Latest;

I think Geoff Lemon's article here sums up my views very nicely - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-28/c ... on/9596850
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Early reports are Smith & Warner banned for 12 months and Bancroft for 9 months.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Crazyman wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:27 pm Early reports are Smith & Warner banned for 12 months and Bancroft for 9 months.
Good stuff
Essendunny
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Well, you'd have to think it's the last you'll see of ball-tampering - at least from an Australian. Hopefully? Yeah?

I have no problems with most of the punishment. I can understand some of the argument against the length of the bans, but really, it was the most hideous looking thing ever on a cricket field.

What a gut wrenching episode this turned out to be.

And against the back drop of a even, and enthralling series.

Just an aside, 3 players flown over, does Handscomb play Friday as well? Kawaja gets left out?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tonysoprano wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:31 pm Well, you'd have to think it's the last you'll see of ball-tampering - at least from an Australian. Hopefully? Yeah?

I have no problems with most of the punishment. I can understand some of the argument against the length of the bans, but really, it was the most hideous looking thing ever on a cricket field.

What a gut wrenching episode this turned out to be.

And against the back drop of a even, and enthralling series.

Just an aside, 3 players flown over, does Handscomb play Friday as well? Kawaja gets left out?
Was thinking about Handscomb. Why would you bother taking him on tour if you won’t even use him when 3 batsman have been ejected???
Essendunny
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Jesus that presser was hard to watch
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

boncer34 wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:56 pm Jesus that presser was hard to watch
I described the ball tampering as gut wrenching.

I was wrong.

That, was gut wrenching.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

I felt for Smith for a minute.

Didn’t last long.Not long after,I saw a story on terminally ill kids in Indonesia.I felt far more for them,with their Gut wrenching stories(no disrespect meant to you Tony).

Puts things in perspective for me.

Sorry Steve,but I ultimately have little sympathy for you,Bancroft,Warner or Boof.

You’ll all be back in the Team anyway,where’s there’s no turning back for those kids,who are in their predicament through NO Fault of their own! :evil:
Last edited by grassy1 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Except Boof,unless he gets another go at it in 10 or so years.He’ll get a cushy job offer from someone.Lucky him!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:29 am Except Boof,unless he gets another go at it in 10 or so years.He’ll get a cushy job offer from someone.Lucky him!
I feel for Smith a bit. Got sucked into this crap. But it’s his weak leadership that cost him. Should’ve knocked the idea right on the head, and given both Bancroft and Warner a spray for contemplating such a dumb idea.

I didn’t see the full presser, but I was impressed with the way Cam Bancroft handled himself from the bits I did see. Go away, put your head down, and concentrate on batting. I’m sure you’re a smart enough guy to make amends and be a better sportsman. You’re a decent enough bloke now, so it’s got me f***** why you got involved in this shit in the first place. And there’s the sugar thing still unexplained, and ball stomping tactic too. If you have been led astray with this stuff, then grow some balls and stand your ground - even if it is the captain or VC. Should never accept to do anything illegal on the field. But if you were a happy participator, you need to work on your morals and intelligence.

Warner. What a coward.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

He’s overseeing the Last Test Match Ben,then stepping down.

That must have happened in the wee hours of your morning.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:26 am He’s overseeing the Last Test Match Ben,then stepping down.

That must have happened in the wee hours of your morning.
Yes, woke up to it. Wow!

Well, I guess Langer is the obvious choice now.
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

There still isn’t much blame being put on the coach. Surely the coach is meant to know everything that is going on and be punished even if they’ve didn’t... :roll:

Can’t fell sorry for Smith as he put Bancroft in the firing line in the first media conference, then accepted responsibility and is now apparently seeking legal advice for loss of earnings! You either did something wrong or you didn’t Steve, which one is it?

The media hound them until they break down and now ask us to leave them alone and feel sorry for them...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robrulz5 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:52 am There still isn’t much blame being put on the coach. Surely the coach is meant to know everything that is going on and be punished even if they’ve didn’t... :roll:
Haha, the James Hird rule?
Can’t fell sorry for Smith as he put Bancroft in the firing line in the first media conference
Yep, mustn’t forget that.
then accepted responsibility and is now apparently seeking legal advice for loss of earnings! You either did something wrong or you didn’t Steve, which one is it?
Wow, didn’t realise he was going down that path :shock:

Not sure what grounds he has. He’s admitted to wrongdoing. The ICC found him guilty of conduct contrary to the spirit of the game and suspended him for one test. Sponsors have disowned him as a result. He’s caused significant damage to Australia’s cricketing reputation. He’s accepted full responsibility as captain of the team.

Good luck with that.
Essendunny
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

To me, the punishments would be unjust if it was only ball tampering. However the fact that they were so blatantly caught out AND that they lied to all and sundry before the truth came out makes the punishments justified IMO.

As for Boof, what little I heard indicates he may not have known about this, but was complicit in creating a culture that lead to it.

Head butting the line - what a crock of shit!!!

Done right standing down.
TBH Aus Cricket needs a break from that era and as such, I would look past Langer who played a long time at the same time as Boof. Not the same person I know, but let’s get someone else thanks.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Crazyman wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:15 am To me, the punishments would be unjust if it was only ball tampering. However the fact that they were so blatantly caught out AND that they lied to all and sundry before the truth came out makes the punishments justified IMO.

As for Boof, what little I heard indicates he may not have known about this, but was complicit in creating a culture that lead to it.

Head butting the line - what a crock of shit!!!

Done right standing down.
TBH Aus Cricket needs a break from that era and as such, I would look past Langer who played a long time at the same time as Boof. Not the same person I know, but let’s get someone else thanks.
I’m with you on Langer. Would rather a left field appointment like Wade Seccombe who has just led QLD to a title in his first season as coach. All round good guy who played in a lot of successful QLD teams. While he may not have played Tests, I think he should be considered.

If they want to change the culture, then appoint someone with good character. Andrew McDonald might be another option in that regard. He’s probably too nice a guy though.

Then there’s Darren Berry. But he’s tarred with that same brush that Boof, Hookesy etc were tarred with...
Essendunny
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

I’d have a serious look at Dizzy Gillespie especially with the ashes in England next year. Has coached in England for a while and knows the conditions.

I think the 12month ban for Smith is excessive. He should be able to play this Australian summer especially if he had limited knowledge of it.

I’ve played park cricket for 30years and I’ve never known anyone to take sandpaper onto the field. It’s just bizarre.

I hope Warner never plays for Australia again.