Who do we want?

Will trade Vlad for an open packet of Burger Rings.
F111
Essendon Legend

Re: Who do we want?

Post by F111 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:44 pm

We have picks 8, 30, 62 & 80.

Who do we want?
What can we get? :-k

Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:20 pm

If Neale from Freo is available he is what we need - hard in and under mid that can win his own ball and uses it pretty well.

I would think if he can be looking at Brisbane as an option why are we not making a play also (i have no knowledge if we are doing anything :D :D ) and at least talking to him??

Could be that piece of the puzzle that takes us to the next level..

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:34 pm

We'll have to use a pick on Mason Fletcher if we want to pick him up this year. He had been sidelined with back stress fractures for the majority of the 2018 season though...
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:51 am

Western Red wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:20 pm
If Neale from Freo is available he is what we need - hard in and under mid that can win his own ball and uses it pretty well.

I would think if he can be looking at Brisbane as an option why are we not making a play also (i have no knowledge if we are doing anything :D :D ) and at least talking to him??

Was he really looking at Brisbane though,Rover?

Seems a strange way of going home if his family is in Victoria.

desmondo
High Draft Pick

Post by desmondo » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:57 pm

Western Red wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:20 pm

If there is a possiblity of getting Neale, then we as a club would be remiss to not even try and get him, as you said he IS what we need. :D

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:38 am

More Smoke and Fire here than I 1st heard.

But I can’t imagine Fremantle openly trading him,despite some weird Media pressure.

The Dockers fans would Absolutely Scream the Town Down If Neale Left!

Nah,just can’t see him leaving,except 1 reason.

ROSS LYON!

Now I mention it,yeah,I’d leave too! :twisted: 8)

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:48 am

BenDoolan wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:17 pm
s'dreams wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:40 am
Crazyman wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:01 pm
Have to make a play for Dylan Shiel....
Other than that, another ruck would be nice, but the good ones ain’t going to leave their clubs atm imo.
At the moment, having a ruck from the age of 18 till when they are ready to dominate (age 24-26) looks to be a list liability. Only 7 established rucks are one team players (Gawn, Grundy, Goldstein, TBell, Cox, Roughead and Lycett)

Most of the clubs seem to pick up a ruck recycled from other clubs (eg Witts, Martin, Lobb, Lobbe etc) or a late round pick mature ager from the VFL (eg Abbott at Geelong pick 69).

IMO, if the aim is just for backup, grab a mid-late 20's VFL/SANFL/WAFL ruck as a very late pick or a rookie.

Nick Meese (Williamstown) averages over 60 hitouts a game with 25% of these to advantage (but is a measly 197 cm ... but still pantsied Pruess, Luey, Hickey, etc) but is 29.
Lachlan Waddell (Port) is 23, 200 cm and averaging just under 20 hitouts a game this year. He is being talked upas an AFL recruit this year.

etc etc
Unless we can land an established top shelf ruckman, I don’t want another on the list. Need to cull Leuenberger, and just persist with Bellchambers, McKernan, Daniher and Draper as ruck options.
Don’t underestimate Zac Clark too easily Ben.

I have seen him play in the past few seasons.

Yes,at WAFL Level.But the Guy is a man on a mission and I reckon Worsfold would be doing himself a Big Favour,picking him up.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:50 am

By the way mate,look up Cody Leggett,much as I hate to lose him.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:41 am

grassy1 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:48 am
BenDoolan wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:17 pm
s'dreams wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:40 am
Crazyman wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:01 pm
Have to make a play for Dylan Shiel....
Other than that, another ruck would be nice, but the good ones ain’t going to leave their clubs atm imo.
At the moment, having a ruck from the age of 18 till when they are ready to dominate (age 24-26) looks to be a list liability. Only 7 established rucks are one team players (Gawn, Grundy, Goldstein, TBell, Cox, Roughead and Lycett)

Most of the clubs seem to pick up a ruck recycled from other clubs (eg Witts, Martin, Lobb, Lobbe etc) or a late round pick mature ager from the VFL (eg Abbott at Geelong pick 69).

IMO, if the aim is just for backup, grab a mid-late 20's VFL/SANFL/WAFL ruck as a very late pick or a rookie.

Nick Meese (Williamstown) averages over 60 hitouts a game with 25% of these to advantage (but is a measly 197 cm ... but still pantsied Pruess, Luey, Hickey, etc) but is 29.
Lachlan Waddell (Port) is 23, 200 cm and averaging just under 20 hitouts a game this year. He is being talked upas an AFL recruit this year.

etc etc
Unless we can land an established top shelf ruckman, I don’t want another on the list. Need to cull Leuenberger, and just persist with Bellchambers, McKernan, Daniher and Draper as ruck options.
Don’t underestimate Zac Clark too easily Ben.

I have seen him play in the past few seasons.

Yes,at WAFL Level.But the Guy is a man on a mission and I reckon Worsfold would be doing himself a Big Favour,picking him up.
We also have Luke Lavender on the list. So we have;

Bellchambers
Leuenberger
McKernan
Draper
Lavender

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:26 pm

Ok if not us,someone should pick him up.

Preferably not the Weagles or Dorkers.He probably won’t go back to the Dorkers and I don’t want him tearing things up for West Coast’s Reserves,Thank - You!

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:26 pm

Is the club keeping it on the down low re trade targets? Why is it that you hear about Richmond, St Kilda and North Melbourne’s plans but only the odd and rather vague passing mention of Essendon’s interest in certain players. Surely we have to go out and land a marquee player to help take the club to the next level in Season 2018?

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:49 pm

Mmm,is Tom Lynch the right fit for Richmond with his Big,Fat contract?

Or as so often happened before,a high priced recruit,but divisive?

Watch this space for 12 months.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:03 pm

Andrew Gaff 2018 Stats Highlights

12th in Total Kicks Ranked 20th in Total Disposals
Ranked 8th in Total Uncontested Possessions Ranked 14th in Total Effective Disposals
Ranked 3rd in Kicks Per Game Ranked 6th in Disposals Per Game

Dylan Shiel 2018 State Highlights

Ranked 16th in Total Inside 50s Ranked 3rd in Total Goal Assists
Ranked 19th in Total Score Involvements Ranked 4th in Goal Assists Per Game

Jarryd Polec 2018 Stats Highlights

Ranked 4th in Total Kicks Ranked 17th in Total Uncontested Possessions
Ranked 3rd in Total Metres Gained Ranked 8th in Kicks Per Game

All are apparently “gettable” trade targets with interest from a variety of clubs

All bring something unique to the table - Gaff, uncontested possessions and midfield drive, Shiel, goal assists and goal involvements, Polec, meters gained

Surely one of these guys will be in a red and black jumper come 2019??

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:57 pm

Gaff to North
Polec to Saints
Shiel to Hawks

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:04 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:03 pm
Andrew Gaff 2018 Stats Highlights

12th in Total Kicks Ranked 20th in Total Disposals
Ranked 8th in Total Uncontested Possessions Ranked 14th in Total Effective Disposals
Ranked 3rd in Kicks Per Game Ranked 6th in Disposals Per Game

Dylan Shiel 2018 State Highlights

Ranked 16th in Total Inside 50s Ranked 3rd in Total Goal Assists
Ranked 19th in Total Score Involvements Ranked 4th in Goal Assists Per Game

Jarryd Polec 2018 Stats Highlights

Ranked 4th in Total Kicks Ranked 17th in Total Uncontested Possessions
Ranked 3rd in Total Metres Gained Ranked 8th in Kicks Per Game

All are apparently “gettable” trade targets with interest from a variety of clubs

All bring something unique to the table - Gaff, uncontested possessions and midfield drive, Shiel, goal assists and goal involvements, Polec, meters gained

Surely one of these guys will be in a red and black jumper come 2019??
Beats me. I see us at a real cross-roads point.
Of those 3 I'd choose Shiel because he adds class/flair.
We already have players to extract the ball from the scrums - Heppell, Merrett and others that I'll call workhorses or role players. What we lack, in my opinion, is a "burst" player - the type that gets the ball from contested situations and bursts out of or through the pack, that opens the play up, to get it to the outside or forward. Shiel could give that, from the middle rather than from half-back. (Polec is more of a rebounder).
But as far as I can tell, apart from vague rumours, Shiel isn't thinking of leaving GWS.
So....do we look to get someone else in that mould that might become great (via trade or draft) OR....do we look at our game plan and recruit/trade around what that needs to be?
For example, if we wanted to be Richmond, we don't need that type, but we would need to change our game plan and recruit accordingly.
I worry we're stuck in a traditional team construction while the game has passed us by.
Like I said - beats me!!!

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:54 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:57 pm
Gaff to North
Polec to Saints
Shiel to Hawks
How the hell can Hawthorn trade for Shiel? Has Cyril freed up that much salary cap? What can they possibly trade?? Didn’t they give away their first round and second round picks for Mitchell and O’Meara?

Why would North attract anyone?

Ditto Saints

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:03 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:54 pm
BenDoolan wrote:
Gaff to North
Polec to Saints
Shiel to Hawks

Ditto Saints
$$$$$$$$

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:34 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Gaff to North
Polec to Saints
Shiel to Hawks
How the hell can Hawthorn trade for Shiel? Has Cyril freed up that much salary cap? What can they possibly trade?? Didn’t they give away their first round and second round picks for Mitchell and O’Meara?

Ditto Saints
Hawks don’t offer big bucks. They offer culture and success. Players tend to buy into that...

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:54 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:34 am
Windy_Hill wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Gaff to North
Polec to Saints
Shiel to Hawks

Ditto Saints
Hawks don’t offer big bucks. They offer culture and success. Players tend to buy into that...
...,and want their slice too!

As well as their managers. 8)

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:12 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:26 pm
Is the club keeping it on the down low re trade targets? Why is it that you hear about Richmond, St Kilda and North Melbourne’s plans but only the odd and rather vague passing mention of Essendon’s interest in certain players. Surely we have to go out and land a marquee player to help take the club to the next level in Season 2018?
Because, unlike North Melbourne and St Kilda, we're a professionally run organisation that doesn't leak every offer and approach to the media in order to build false hope amongst the fans that we're "getting things done."

Richmond is different because Hawthorn and Collingwood have leaked they aren't getting Lynch and seeing Lynch's management indicated it was a 3 horse race everyone has put 2 and 2 together.

We're up to our eyeballs in a few players, whether or not it pans out is an entirely different matter.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.