Who do we want?

s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Re: Who do we want?

Post by s'dreams »

Crazyman wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:29 pm
F111 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:29 pm Gaff &/or Shiel have my interest.

What's the reality here re: EFC? Anyone have any clue?
IMO I think we’re a better chance at Shiel or Setterfield...but if we can get them and Gaff. Party time 🎉🎉🎉
Just looked at Setterfield's stats... GWS sholdn't be asking for more than a 3rd round pick for him. 2 games in 2 years, averaging 9 disposals and 0G, 1B per game. Sure, contracted to 2020. pick 5 (behind McGrath, Taranto, McLuggage and Ainsworth - all of who have played 30 or more games).
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Media comments in the last 24 hours have us linked to Jack Martin (yes please) and Tom Liberatore (maybe)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:22 pm Media comments in the last 24 hours have us linked to Jack Martin (yes please) and Tom Liberatore (maybe)
Martin - big yes, Liberatore - big no
Essendunny
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

BenDoolan wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:34 pm
Windy_Hill wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:22 pm Media comments in the last 24 hours have us linked to Jack Martin (yes please) and Tom Liberatore (maybe)
Liberatore ffs! #-o
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

BenDoolan wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:34 pm
No to Son of Scratchy
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

s'dreams wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:56 pm

IMO I think we’re a better chance at Shiel or Setterfield...but if we can get them and Gaff. Party time 🎉🎉🎉
Just looked at Setterfield's stats... GWS sholdn't be asking for more than a 3rd round pick for him. 2 games in 2 years, averaging 9 disposals and 0G, 1B per game. Sure, contracted to 2020. pick 5 (behind McGrath, Taranto, McLuggage and Ainsworth - all of who have played 30 or more games).
:lol: :lol:

So we should've accepted the 3rd round pick Adelaide offered for Francis last year?
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

boncer34 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:19 pm
s'dreams wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:56 pm

:lol: :lol:

So we should've accepted the 3rd round pick Adelaide offered for Francis last year?
Last year No. was worth at least a late first round or second round puck...he was unproven, homesick, and not in our best 22. A year and patience/persistence later and a very different story....nothing less than a first round pick...
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I dont know much about Setterfield other than his high draft selection and was a possibility to be taken with our number 1 pick for a short while.

Obviously the lad must have some talent to be picked so high in the draft but is he just another injury prone tease? Having said that, Francis can be the poster boy for early draftees that struggle in their first few years. (For other reasons mind you)

In a nut shell, should we be seriously considering Setterfield and I would welcome someone who knows more about him to comment
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

"Setterfield - the long road back:" Tantalising pick as a 190cm, 87kg developing midfielder. Got the kind of body and the long term profile that we need in the mids and still only 20. Then there's his injuries - cruciate ligament and serious ankle injury that sidelined him for the best part of 18 months and saw him playing only two senior games for GWS. They must be questioning his long term value after that but we would have a lot to gain if he works out for us. A gamble that we would have to weigh up against the possibility of him not being 100% fit for another 6-12 months.
IMHO look elsewhere first. The last thing we need is another rehab case.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Hmmmm, so where does that put Gaff now?
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Rover99 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:26 am "Setterfield - the long road back:" Tantalising pick as a 190cm, 87kg developing midfielder. Got the kind of body and background that we need in the mids and still only 20. Then there's his injuries - cruciate ligament and serious ankle injury that sidelined him for the best part of 18 months and saw him playing only two senior games for GWS. They must be questioning his long term future after that but we would have a lot to gain if he works out for us. A gamble that we would have to weigh up against the possibility of him not being 100% fit for another 6-12 months.
IMHO look elsewhere first. The last thing we need is another rehab case.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Rover99 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:22 pm Hmmmm, so where does that put Gaff now?
I had the same question myself,Rover.

I suspect he stays at the Eagles to sort out Unfinished Business.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

grassy1 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:51 pm
Rover99 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:22 pm Hmmmm, so where does that put Gaff now?
I had the same question myself,Rover.

I suspect he stays at the Eagles to sort out Unfinished Business.
I'd think nobody has any clue except Gaff himself.
It could go a number of ways.
Might want to stay at a premiership team believing they can do it again.
Might think the chances of them going back-to-back is slim and be looking for the next winning horse to jump on.
Might be feeling he owes them for getting suspended.
Might be feeling a bit left out from not being a part of the premiership team.
Might have a nagging partner that wants to get out of Perth.
Might want to pursue a boxing career after that awesome right hook.
(Insert reasons here)
Whatever he does, I doubt anyone will be surprised because everything is a reasonable option for him.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

From my limited knowledge of these things Gaff has not signed with the Eagles as he wants to return to Melbourne. Apparently his Dad has been unwell and he would also like to be closer to him.

Gaff has the chance to earn $1 Million per annum with a North or St Kilda. He probably has 5 to 6 years left to establish a comfortable life for his future. You’re a long time retired after all.

I don’t think the Eagles winning or losing yesterday would change any of that. Surely his manager would be advising him to pursue the best long term deal and not get sucked into some sentimental bullshit about returning to the Eagles in some hope to find redemption.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Yes Windy,I imagine his Manager would be advising him as such about the sentimental BS.

But players can be funny beasts and in this case,we really won’t know until he signs a new deal wherever that may be.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Crazyman wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:28 pm
Last year No. was worth at least a late first round or second round puck...he was unproven, homesick, and not in our best 22. A year and patience/persistence later and a very different story....nothing less than a first round pick...
Kinda my point. Setterfield is unproven, not in their best 22 and has injuries instead of being home sick. Not to mention Francis's fitness was a big concern.

Yet nobody here would've been happy to accept a 3rd round pick for him last year because of the massive potential but coz its a potentially high talented player coming our way then we should only give up a 3rd round pick?

Please.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

boncer34 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:36 am
Kinda my point. Setterfield is unproven, not in their best 22 and has injuries instead of being home sick. Not to mention Francis's fitness was a big concern.

Yet nobody here would've been happy to accept a 3rd round pick for him last year because of the massive potential but coz its a potentially high talented player coming our way then we should only give up a 3rd round pick?

Please.
Well ... If they're happy for a 3rd round pick... they shouldn't be asking for an early first round pick. Maybe a pair of 2nd's.

Over at BB ... they are keen for a Setterfield/Scully double for this and next years first round picks.

I'd be happy for a Setterfield/Shiels double for that price instead.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

s'dreams wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:55 am
boncer34 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:36 am

Please.
Well ... If they're happy for a 3rd round pick... they shouldn't be asking for an early first round pick. Maybe a pair of 2nd's.

Over at BB ... they are keen for a Setterfield/Scully double for this and next years first round picks.

I'd be happy for a Setterfield/Shiels double for that price instead.
They're not happy for a 3rd.

They want a first for their highly touted inexperienced player.

Same as us last year.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Sounding like Gaff to Norf if he leaves the weagles.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

afldotcom
The Hawks' main rivals in the race for Shiel are Carlton and St Kilda, with Essendon believed to have dropped out of the running.