Who do we want?

hop
Club Captain

Re: Who do we want?

Post by hop »

Sheedy, Stewart, Smith and Shiel....definite pattern emerging here.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

I know that’s in reference to the Giants, but add Saad and Stringer...if we can gazzump the scum and package Setterfield as well 😛😉
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Essendon, GWS set for trade fight as Dylan Shiel knocks back big money to join Bombers

MARK ROBINSON AND JON ANDERSON, Herald Sun

GWS will demand two first-round picks for Dylan Shiel after he announced he wanted to pursue a flag with Essendon in a deal that could cost him $2 million over six years.

But the Bombers will try to land the classy playmaker with its pick No.9 in this year’s national draft and a small sweetener, probably a future second or third–round selection.

The Giants have salary cap issues and, in part, encouraged Shiel to talk to rivals.

The stand-off has already started, but it won’t be insurmountable.

“There’s eight days to go, and it will get done,’’ a source close to the deal told the Herald Sun .

But a Giants insider said the club rated Shiel better than Adam Treloar who was traded to Collingwood for two first-round selections.

Dylan Shiel at GWS training.

”Treloar was worth two picks and this bloke is an All-Australian, so he’s also worth two picks,’’ the insider said.

“Absolutely, we will not shift on that.’’

The Herald Sun revealed the Bombers were Shiel’s preferred club, ending weeks-long lavishing from the Bombers, Hawthorn, St Kilda and Carlton.

He was swayed by a belief that Essendon would have on-field success and the thrill of playing in front of blockbuster crowds such as Anzac Day.

The Herald Sun can confirm the Bombers’ bid was the lowest of the four offers made to the 25-year-old, believed to be below $1 million a season.

The six-year deal is believed to be more than $2 million less than what Shiel could’ve earned elsewhere.

It’s understood the Hawks ran second to the Bombers to secure the inaugural Giant.

The classy midfielder flew into Melbourne on Tuesday morning to meet his managers, Paul Connors and Robbie D’Orazio, and at lunchtime started making calls to all four clubs.

Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson was the first number dialled and the Bombers the last, with the good news.

Connor’s told the Herald Sun he expected the deal to be completed but said Shiel had only made up his mind to play with the Bombers.

The Giants said in a statement: “The Giants are prepared to discuss potential trade options with the Bombers that sees an appropriate return for the club. Dylan is contracted for the 2019 season and he will remain a Giant should a suitable trade not be reached.”

Shiel met a string of Bombers players at an Elwood cafe last week.

Connors said the Essendon list and its potential to challenge for the premiership helped sway Shiel’s decision.

The fact money was not the overriding factor impressed Essendon officials.

It can also be revealed Jayden Laverde, who is also in the Connors stable, won’t be part of any trade.

If/when Shiel lands at Essendon, it will be a stunning coup by list manager Adrian Dodoro. who has delivered to the club best-and-fairest winner Devon Smith, Adam Saad and Jake Stringer in the past 18 months.

Clearly, the expectation on the Bombers in 2019 will be sky high.

They will get back best-and-fairest winner Joe Daniher back in the forward line, Cale Hooker, Aaron Francis and Michael Hurley will hold up the defence, and in between will be a bevy of hard-running mid-sized players.

From pocket to pocket, one half of Essendon’s team will read Saad, McKenna, Shiel, Stringer, Fantasia.

The other half will read McGrath, Francis, Zaharakis, Smith, McDonald-Tipungwuti.

Another hard-nosed midfielder to aid skipper Dyson Heppell, Zach Merrett, Darcy Parish, Kyle Langford and David Myers will next on the recruiting list.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Stunning result! Stoked!

Building a terrific group now. Add Francis as a basically “new star recruit” for next year, we’ll have class all over the field.

Over to the coaches to turn them into a well oiled machine...
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

"Connors said the Essendon list and its potential to challenge for the premiership helped sway Shiel’s decision."

Jeez, we might be putting the cart before the horse here. For periods of this season we were the worst team in the competition. Still, you can turn things around quickly and there is no doubt we have potential.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

gringo wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:27 am "Connors said the Essendon list and its potential to challenge for the premiership helped sway Shiel’s decision."

Jeez, we might be putting the cart before the horse here. For periods of this season we were the worst team in the competition. Still, you can turn things around quickly and there is no doubt we have potential.
The weight of expectation will definitely be hanging around our necks. It was last year following the recruitment of Smith, Saad and Stringer!

It’s time for Essendon to do something. Make the 8 for a start. And then actually winning some games in September.
Essendunny
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

BenDoolan wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:53 am
gringo wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:27 am "Connors said the Essendon list and its potential to challenge for the premiership helped sway Shiel’s decision."

The weight of expectation will definitely be hanging around our necks. It was last year following the recruitment of Smith, Saad and Stringer!

It’s time for Essendon to do something. Make the 8 for a start. And then actually winning some games in September.

Half way thru 2018 I was in two minds about the team. They were struggling. I was torn between some collective "we'll have a great 2018" self expectation going wrong and the effect of new player assimilation and injuries.
I've had the complacency thing lingering in the back of my mind with this club and have so for a looong time. Games against C'scum and the dees, where we have been clear favourites have been regularly lost, the cough, splutter..'99 pf comes to mind.
I hope that this team goes into 2019 with something to prove like the 2000 team did. They need to build points on the ladder early and consistently thru the season without any lull in concentration. One game at a time, every game with a determination to get the job done.
How do we transplant the ruthless endeavour of the 2000 team into 2019?
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

F111 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:29 pm
BenDoolan wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:53 am

Half way thru 2018 I was in two minds about the team. They were struggling. I was torn between some collective "we'll have a great 2018" self expectation going wrong and the effect of new player assimilation and injuries.
I've had the complacency thing lingering in the back of my mind with this club and have so for a looong time. Games against C'scum and the dees, where we have been clear favourites have been regularly lost, the cough, splutter..'99 pf comes to mind.
I hope that this team goes into 2019 with something to prove like the 2000 team did. They need to build points on the ladder early and consistently thru the season without any lull in concentration. One game at a time, every game with a determination to get the job done.
How do we transplant the ruthless endeavour of the 2000 team into 2019?
A good write F111 and I totally agree if they can somehow replicate the 2000 sides endevour, and instil it into them, they 'knew' they were the best team and they played like it, (and if we can have a reasonable run on the injury front) I`ll be a happy bloke.

Competion for spots should be pretty hot (especially in the midfield), AND when they play the scum, hopefully they can fkng smash them, (or at least just beat them) :evil: at least to let us know that they are a serious threat in this competition.
Last edited by desmondo on Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons »

2018 was a breakout year for our interstate endeavours. Only Fremantle game was our fading point.
We need to play better at the MCG. Win Anzac Day. Win Dreamtime. Stay positive and win finals.
Collingwood & Richmond is very good at the MCG. No surprise on their end result.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

bpdons wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:38 pm 2018 was a breakout year for our interstate endeavours. Only Fremantle game was our fading point.
We need to play better at the MCG. Win Anzac Day. Win Dreamtime. Stay positive and win finals.
Collingwood & Richmond is very good at the MCG. No surprise on their end result.
And Flog The Scum!

Twice!

Don’t lose to the F***ers,ingloriously. :evil:
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

We're not done.

I don't know anymore then that. Just hearing we're not done.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

boncer34 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:16 am We're not done.

what are we giving for shiel? I know GWS just want picks, so it would be obviously pick 9 and what else? Is this deal going to be a problem? Could another club swoop in at the last second if essendon cant satisfy GWS?
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

DC2 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:40 am

what are we giving for shiel? I know GWS just want picks, so it would be obviously pick 9 and what else? Is this deal going to be a problem? Could another club swoop in at the last second if essendon cant satisfy GWS?
Another team might try to swoop, but Shiel is contracted so would have to agree. And if he didn't he'd walk at the end of next season and GWS get nothing but a compensation pick. So it'll get done, as long as they get our 1st pick and something semi-decent as well.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

We're not done. Shiel is in the bag. GWS can't win the argument.
Clear the decks for Martin, no matter what crap the Suns are spouting.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

boncer34 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:15 pm
s'dreams wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:55 am
boncer34 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:36 am
Crazyman wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:28 pm
Last year No. was worth at least a late first round or second round puck...he was unproven, homesick, and not in our best 22. A year and patience/persistence later and a very different story....nothing less than a first round pick...
Kinda my point. Setterfield is unproven, not in their best 22 and has injuries instead of being home sick. Not to mention Francis's fitness was a big concern.

Yet nobody here would've been happy to accept a 3rd round pick for him last year because of the massive potential but coz its a potentially high talented player coming our way then we should only give up a 3rd round pick?

Please.
Well ... If they're happy for a 3rd round pick... they shouldn't be asking for an early first round pick. Maybe a pair of 2nd's.

Over at BB ... they are keen for a Setterfield/Scully double for this and next years first round picks.

I'd be happy for a Setterfield/Shiels double for that price instead.
They're not happy for a 3rd.

They want a first for their highly touted inexperienced player.

Same as us last year.
Looks like he is going for next year's 2nd round at the blues... And seeing that next year, with all their recruits and yet another 1st pick, they are pushing for the flag so it will be like a 3rd rounder [/sarc] :roll: :roll: :roll:

[edit] - whoops ... overlooked that the Blues are also offering a 3rd round pick this year (43 which they got from on-selling one of their two their VFL "priority picks".
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Scully the other S :D

Would be great to trumps the f****** c**** at Hawthorn again also!!

Could we do it??
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Western Red wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:26 pm Scully the other S :D

Would be great to trumps the f****** c**** at Hawthorn again also!!

Could we do it??
Wow, I’ve been out of the loop today! Firstly, have we signed Shiel? And secondly, are we really in the race for Scully??
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

DC2 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:40 am

There is no chance he goes anywhere but Essendon.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

s'dreams wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:14 pm
boncer34 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:15 pm
s'dreams wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:55 am
boncer34 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:36 am
Crazyman wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:28 pm
Last year No. was worth at least a late first round or second round puck...he was unproven, homesick, and not in our best 22. A year and patience/persistence later and a very different story....nothing less than a first round pick...
Kinda my point. Setterfield is unproven, not in their best 22 and has injuries instead of being home sick. Not to mention Francis's fitness was a big concern.

Yet nobody here would've been happy to accept a 3rd round pick for him last year because of the massive potential but coz its a potentially high talented player coming our way then we should only give up a 3rd round pick?

Please.
Well ... If they're happy for a 3rd round pick... they shouldn't be asking for an early first round pick. Maybe a pair of 2nd's.

Over at BB ... they are keen for a Setterfield/Scully double for this and next years first round picks.

I'd be happy for a Setterfield/Shiels double for that price instead.
They're not happy for a 3rd.

They want a first for their highly touted inexperienced player.

Same as us last year.
Looks like he is going for next year's 2nd round at the blues... And seeing that next year, with all their recruits and yet another 1st pick, they are pushing for the flag so it will be like a 3rd rounder [/sarc] :roll: :roll: :roll:

[edit] - whoops ... overlooked that the Blues are also offering a 3rd round pick this year (43 which they got from on-selling one of their two their VFL "priority picks".
So they took an early 2nd and a early/middle 3rd.

Would you say that is closer to a 1st rounder or a 3rd rounder?
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Talk that GWS have cracked the shits for "having" accept unders for Setterfield and Scully and thus are playing hard ball with Shiel and Lobb.

Well dickheads that isn't how trading works, also you essentially told Shiel and Lobb to f*** off.

Also how much does the Hawks trading for Scrimshaw and Scully reek. Senior coaches at both GWS and GC have strong pre-existing relationships with Clarkson and suddenly the Hawks can trade for for the number 7 pick from only 2 years ago, and a former number 1 draft pick, former All-Australian who was the GWS' marquee signing when they entered the comp for essentially a single future 3rd round pick. Reeks to high heaven.