Who do we want?

s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Re: Who do we want?

Post by s'dreams »

BenDoolan wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:30 am
s'dreams wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:11 am Ok, I know we just got rid of Green, but would Menzel be worth a look?

Averaging 2 goals a game as a small forward.

Would mainly consider him as backup for Raz.
Could be. But I reckon he’d be a frustrating player. Only runs one way. If we’re happy to have an unaccountable forward, then go for it. But if we’re looking for players to lock the ball into our F50, he won’t be that player.
As I said - we only just got rid of a player who fits the description you provided. Sounds like a pass to me.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Mynott rookie listed for another season.

33 Primary list players signed on for 2019.
2 Primary list players yet to sign: Bags, Dea.

3 Rookies signed on for 2019.
3 Rookies yet to sign: Lavender, McNiece, Long.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Royza wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:29 pm Mynott rookie listed for another season.

Long and Lavender gone McNeice re-rookie
I think I read Bags was going to be delisted and added back as rookie also. I think Dea will re-sign.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

I still don't get why the club is dragging the chain on Bags. He wouldn't be on much coin and has shown he is in the best 22 as a forward (who can still fill in the back if needed),
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

s'dreams wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:24 pm

I still don't get why the club is dragging the chain on Bags. He wouldn't be on much coin and has shown he is in the best 22 as a forward (who can still fill in the back if needed),
Agree. He gives us plenty as a pressure forward. It’s not only the 20 goals he deposited, or the 10 goal assists, but the many goals he created for others by simply dispossessing opposition defenders.
Essendunny
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

BenDoolan wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:43 pm
s'dreams wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:24 pm

Agree. He gives us plenty as a pressure forward. It’s not only the 20 goals he deposited, or the 10 goal assists, but the many goals he created for others by simply dispossessing opposition defenders.
Maybe it's Bags holding out on the Club? I think we all agree he's been great value this year, so perhaps he wants a few more $$ or a longer deal than the Club are offering?
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

McNiece offered another yr as Cat B Rookie.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Royza wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:50 pm McNiece offered another yr as Cat B Rookie.
How does Ben McNiece fit into this category?
In addition to these six rookie-listed players, each club can include up to three additional players (now referred to as Category B rookies) on its Rookie List provided the player either:

• has not registered in an Australian Football competition for three years immediately before inclusion on the Rookie List;
• is an international player, meaning he is not an Australian citizen and has not lived in Australia for a substantial period;
• is a former NSW Scholarship player with that club;
• is a former International Scholarship player with that club;
• is a rookie Zone Selection for clubs based in NSW or Queensland.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Windy Hille wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:33 pm
Royza wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:50 pm McNiece offered another yr as Cat B Rookie.
In addition to these six rookie-listed players, each club can include up to three additional players (now referred to as Category B rookies) on its Rookie List provided the player either:

• has not registered in an Australian Football competition for three years immediately before inclusion on the Rookie List;
• is an international player, meaning he is not an Australian citizen and has not lived in Australia for a substantial period;
As per Wikipedia, He was recruited by Essendon as a category B rookie through the next generation academy in November 2016, qualifying by virtue of his mother being Indian.

It raised an eyebrow or two when he was first recruited as an experienced VFL player ... but hey, rules are rules right?
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

s'dreams wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:05 am

As per Wikipedia, He was recruited by Essendon as a category B rookie through the next generation academy in November 2016, qualifying by virtue of his mother being Indian.

It raised an eyebrow or two when he was first recruited as an experienced VFL player ... but hey, rules are rules right?
I can’t see how that fits into the above criteria. Is he not an Australian citizen and hasn’t lived here for a substantial period?
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Bags & Long with 1yr extensions.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Windy Hille wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:30 am
s'dreams wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:05 am

I can’t see how that fits into the above criteria. Is he not an Australian citizen and hasn’t lived here for a substantial period?
I think the "rules" were somewhat more loose then ... but even so, some were questioning his eligibility even then.
Last edited by s'dreams on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Dea cut from list.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Royza wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:12 pm Dea cut from list.
Disappointed with that. Despite some in here thinking that he was a depth player at best, he played 12 games this year (total of 39 games over 3 seasons) with us.

I suppose that means we will be recruiting at least one more half-back flanker then...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Dea is f****** stiff. This years most courageous player. Played well in the games he played. Would have thought he’d keep the likes of Ambrose and Gleeson honest.

Ah well...
Essendunny
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Yeah, surprised he was cut with so many list spots available & he was fairly dependable in most games.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

BenDoolan wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:20 pm Dea is f****** stiff. This years most courageous player. Played well in the games he played. Would have thought he’d keep the likes of Ambrose and Gleeson honest.

Ah well...
Staggered by this. Doesn’t makes sense at all. I thought he was offered another year, or had actually signed for another year!
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

BenDoolan wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:20 pm Dea is f****** stiff. This years most courageous player. Played well in the games he played. Would have thought he’d keep the likes of Ambrose and Gleeson honest.

Ah well...
Reckon the club reckons the likes of Ridley, Redman and Zerk-Thatcher will keeps the likes of Ambrose & Gleeson honest.

Having said that, Gold Coast should definitely look at Dea as a DFA
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

ealesy wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:36 am

Ah well...
Reckon the club reckons the likes of Ridley, Redman and Zerk-Thatcher will keeps the likes of Ambrose & Gleeson honest.

Having said that, Gold Coast should definitely look at Dea as a DFA
Indeed, he 'deserves' a chance.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Draft Pick 38: Irving Mosquito
Draft Pick 60: Noah Gown
Draft Pick 72: Brayden Ham
Rookie Pick: Tom Jok
Rookie Pick: Matt Dea :D

Dodoro said Dea was always going to be picked, they just needed to free a spot for a draft pick.