Cricket on You Tube - Down Memory Lane

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Cricket on You Tube - Down Memory Lane

Post by grassy1 »

Supposed to be doing Christmas Shopping right now.Do it about 4.45PM as usual,December 24.

That's what I think of shopping any time.Got suckered into watching some old classics,mainly controversies and confrontations in Cricket.

Colin Croft and Michael Holding,carrying online Pork Chops in New Zealand in 1980,was one of the 1st.Sreesanth was either someone you loved to have on your side,or someone you'd like to flatten,or slap.Probably didn't help him,if any Aussie thought he looked like Jeff Farmer and was just as annoying.

A bit of sledging never went astray and I searched for plenty of that.Tony and Billget a mention in that department,plus Tony sticking his f****** Car Keys in the pitch,plus one of his own pens,instead if Ritchie's f****** Fountain Pen.
Sunil Gavaskar throwing his toys out of the pram,on the field and off it.

All good fun. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Cricket on You Tube - Down Memory Lane

Post by BenDoolan »

SARFRAZ NAWAZ
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

COLIN EVERTON HUNTE CROFT BARGES INTO UMPIRE FRED GOODALL...

Also dislodges bails the ball before just piss off umpire Goodall.

FWIW, Goodall was a disgrace.
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Michael Holding goes BONKERS...
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Got any footage of Kim Hughes walking off from Chappelli after the Toss of the Coin,Ben?

That got a mention on Ozfooty today.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Tonight they’re showing a short doco on the underarm incident. Long live it’s shameful legacy!

Love Benaud’s thoughts on that!

In the same season...Jim Higgs controversy. Doug Walters went on to make 107 that day...

Still in that same season...Greg Chappell refuses to walk after Martin Snedden takes a classic “catch”. Umpires unbelievably gave it not out...

Geoff Howarth has every reason to go absolutely troppo on each occasion.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

As a Smartarsed little Aussie bleeder,I loved every minute of it.

Now?Poor Old Geoff Howarth! :roll:
Last edited by grassy1 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:01 am As a Smartarsed little Aussie bleeder,Iblived every minute of it.

Now?Poor Old Geoff Howarth! :roll:
I was hugely disappointed with the underarm incident. Totally embarrassed. Grew sympathy for the Kiwis, and wanted Chappell axed as skipper.

Watching the program last night was fascinating. All is forgiven. Interesting insights from all involved. Gotta feel for Trevor Chappell as he was subjected to ridicule because of his brother. Greg admitted last night that had it been anyone else, he probably wouldn’t have asked them to do it. But because it was his younger brother, you’ll do as I say. Something Greg has to live with, and regret for the rest of his life.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Ian Chappell really got stuck into Greg for that.

But a chap called Murray Hedgecock took a different angle from most,saying a lot of what was said was a load of Hypocritical Claptrap and bagging Malcolm Fraser about the Traditions of the game.

Hedgecock said when it came to ODI’s,there was no Tradition to the game,as it was only 13 years old.

The other thing was,because both sides had agreed and signed off on the Rules of the Tournament,New Zealand and Chappell’s Critics really didn’t have a leg to stand on.

It’s not something I would have done,but it was completely Legal.

More later.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:03 pm Ian Chappell really got stuck into Greg for that.

But a chap called Murray Hedgecock took a different angle from most,saying a lot of what was said was a load of Hypocritical Claptrap and bagging Malcolm Fraser about the Traditions of the game.

Hedgecock said when it came to ODI’s,there was no Tradition to the game,as it was only 13 years old.

The other thing was,because both sides had agreed and signed off on the Rules of the Tournament,New Zealand and Chappell’s Critics really didn’t have a leg to stand on.

It’s not something I would have done,but it was completely Legal.

More later.
Yes it was legal. But it was highly cowardly.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

In a way,it was a pity McKechnie didn’t have a little chat with Edgar before that ball,raced down the pitch and tried to belt the suitcase out of the delivery,run like hell in the hope,we gave ‘em 4 more overthrows.Tied match!

Apparently Graham Pollock demonstrated it was possible to Hit a 6,by racing down the pitch,flicking it onto his boot and belting the suitcase out of it for 6.On the one hand,,he’s a class act,on the other,it wasn’t at The G!

LBW?In that day and age,given there was no referrals,I dare say he may have been safe on that score.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:35 pm In a way,it was a pity McKechnie didn’t have a little chat with Edgar before that ball,raced down the pitch and tried to belt the suitcase out of the delivery,run like hell in the hope,we gave ‘em 4 more overthrows.Tied match!

Apparently Graham Pollock demonstrated it was possible to Hit a 6,by racing down the pitch,flicking it onto his boot and belting the suitcase out of it for 6.On the one hand,,he’s a class act,on the other,it wasn’t at The G!

LBW?In that day and age,given there was no referrals,I dare say he may have been safe on that score.
Doug Walters showed how it could have been done. And he was playing in that match (I think). Greg Chappell said he would have appealed for LBW
Essendunny
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

The underarm was going to hit the stumps so I would have appealed as well.

Until the last 10 years I can’t remember to many sixes being hit on the MCG. Lance Cairns went nuts one day but apart from that and Simon O’donnell who used to put some over the fence sixes were extremely rare so the odds of hitting a 6 first ball you faced was 10000/1.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

But if you were halfway down the pitch in that day and age,would an Umpire have given LBW?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:05 pm But if you were halfway down the pitch in that day and age,would an Umpire have given LBW?
Well, there’s no worry about it going ‘over the top’. If the ball was rolling in a straight trajectory at the time of impact, you’d have to adjudge that it would continue on that trajectory. In other words, PLUMB AS f***!
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

I would argue that’s fine with today’s set up of referrals.In the end,you’re stuffed!

I still reckon,yesteryear’s umpires may have been loath to put the ‘ole finger up,with the batsman that far down the pitch.

I remember Safraz being given out at the SCG to a Gunbarrel straight good ‘un from Dennis Lillie,trying to look like he was pushing forward,but as Richie said,” I don’t think he was forward at all!”

The point I am making here,is had Safraz pushed forward a bit further,he may have survived,even though that ball didn’t look like missing middle stump.Dougie or Graham might have got away with pulling off a 6 on an underarm,feet 1st. :lol:
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

BERT wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:00 pm The underarm was going to hit the stumps so I would have appealed as well.

Until the last 10 years I can’t remember to many sixes being hit on the MCG. Lance Cairns went nuts one day but apart from that and Simon O’donnell who used to put some over the fence sixes were extremely rare so the odds of hitting a 6 first ball you faced was 10000/1.
Six 6’s in a score of 52 from big Lance,if I remember correctly Bert.It was the 2nd Final of the 82/83 Season at The G!It was pretty darn good to watch,given we had the match stitched up. :D
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:04 am
BERT wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:00 pm The underarm was going to hit the stumps so I would have appealed as well.

Six 6’s in a score of 52 from big Lance,if I remember correctly Bert.It was the 2nd Final of the 82/83 Season at The G!It was pretty darn good to watch,given we had the match stitched up. :D
One of the sixes was hit with one hand!

He used a strange shoulderless bat called Excalibur. Made by Newbery. I ended up buying one of these bats and used it most of my local cricket career. If you found the middle of it, it sent the ball into orbit. Great bat. Loved it.
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Excalibur!

Essendunny
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

BenDoolan wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:45 am Excalibur!

Brilliant. At the time that was amazing. Not even Viv did that.