A little something

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

A little something

Post by boncer34 »

For those who read my thread entitled the Bradley Story, I was wondering if there was any interest in me doing it on a different player each week during the regular season. Now sadly I can only do it for matches shown on FTA because I dont have access to Pay TV. But if people want to nominate a player each week I'll do a similar thing to the one seen in the Bradley thread. I may do 2 players a week but please remember my time is limited so I dont have endless amounts of time to watch replays of the game and analyse each played. Of course if a certain Aussie rules football club was to pay me... Hint hint. :D :lol:
Of course if there is no interest I wont do it.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

I'd be interested to see stats like that. I don't know how much you'd be willing to but 2 players (one at each end of the perceived spectrum) would be great to get a real idea of how they went.

I hope that makes sense.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I'd be interested Bonce.

It would be good to get a fan's perspective as distinct from the media types who only tend to watch the big name players.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I'd be interested in Jobe Watson's stats. I believe he was the one with the most centre clearances at our club last year (and also topped the clearances for a round on two occasions), but would like to know how his disposals are delivered. To my knowledge, he wasn't ranked in our top "clanger" kings last season yet he gets singled out by you know who.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Bonce - love your committment buddy but seriously, you have to get out a bit more often.
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

Sorry mate, you can do it if you want but as I said in the Bradley Thread, stats tell only half the story.

If you want to tell the full story you go posession by posession and describe, is it contested, not contested, did he hesitate, stop and prop, evade a tackle, get tackled or deliver quickly, Did the delivery hit a target, was that target contested, uncontested what distance was gained to that target and even from that target (ie. next kick/hb or even goal).

Ahh yes and we must also include the non posessions. The times a player passed in his direction in a 50/50 or better situation and the player failed to win the ball.

Then there is shepards provided for team mates and all the other 1% stuff.

Finally the hardest of all, when the player disposed of the ball was there a better option.

These are the types of thing you take into account when reviewing a performance AT THE GAME. You dont have stats, you cant seriousely expect to record all that detail.

If I want stats I'll read the HUN, if I want informed oppinions on performances from people at the game I'll come in here.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Windy_Hill wrote:Bonce - love your committment buddy but seriously, you have to get out a bit more often.
Takes about an hour a player.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

Sol wrote:Sorry mate, you can do it if you want but as I said in the Bradley Thread, stats tell only half the story.

If you want to tell the full story you go posession by posession and describe, is it contested, not contested, did he hesitate, stop and prop, evade a tackle, get tackled or deliver quickly, Did the delivery hit a target, was that target contested, uncontested what distance was gained to that target and even from that target (ie. next kick/hb or even goal).

Ahh yes and we must also include the non posessions. The times a player passed in his direction in a 50/50 or better situation and the player failed to win the ball.

Then there is shepards provided for team mates and all the other 1% stuff.

Finally the hardest of all, when the player disposed of the ball was there a better option.

These are the types of thing you take into account when reviewing a performance AT THE GAME. You dont have stats, you cant seriousely expect to record all that detail.

If I want stats I'll read the HUN, if I want informed oppinions on performances from people at the game I'll come in here.
AGREE!

i know a player who won my team a game, not by racking up 25 possesions or kicking 7 goals. But he probably had 10 touches for game but applied so much pressure he almost spewed at half time and 3Q time. i never seen somone tackle so much, make space so well. at least 5 crucial sheppards a game and leadership skills were instrumental - he got best on ground in a game which seen about 3 others rack up 30+ touches.

stats are a false indicaton on a game
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

So stats mean nothing. Seems to be that only happens when they dont argue your case.
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

bonce,

id like to see it, and agree, jobe next week would be good.

would be good to redo someone like kep again at the half way mark of the season for a bit of a comparison, with composure etc.
48.2 sismis to ZRS, SIX, ???!!! Its coming towards the commentary box Im leaving!!!
48.3 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Who needs Bradman when weve got ZRS
48.4 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Brillian cover drive by ZRS
48.6 sismis to ZRS, SIX, Display of Raw power and brutality by ZRS
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

boncer34 wrote:So stats mean nothing. Seems to be that only happens when they dont argue your case.
Ask Scott West and he will tell you the same thing.

How many time has West had 35 touches and you sit there saying "really?"

Joel Bowden once took 20 marks and had 35 touches, you'd think he was best on ground. Fact is, his kicks were 20 meters backwards, sideways whatever and he only got 1 vote (umpires and also in the media).

Nathan Basset took 21 marks at CHB last year, you would have thought that it was arguably the greatest performance in history, yet he did basically f*** all they won by 4 points.

Point being, Fletcher would not need 21 marks in a football match for us to flog a team (would help though). Its not quantity, its quality.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Yeah, I think the report you did was awesome. If you have the time then I'd love to see more. Whilst stats aren't the be all and end all, they are the most objective available measure of performance - and can prevent outlandish statements based on prejudicial views.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Do it.

It'll provide some alternative to the emotional, subjective tripe sometimes written in here.

It may provide a reasonable foil, and certainly an alternative perspective.

The tv only follows the ball of course so it won't be perfect, but neither is most of the banter we get subjected to at times.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Lies, damn lies and statistics!

Please go ahead - McVeigh would be an interesting case study
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

Yeah McVeigh and Watson would be good.
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama