Dyson Heppell

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Dyson Heppell

Post by robbie67 »

Sounding like Terry Daniher doesn’t make you a captain. It’s about time we replaced this very nice young man with someone who is capable of being the c*** that is required. He’s not a captain’s arsehole.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Re: Dyson Heppell

Post by Crazyman »

I’ve said for ages that Heppell, nice as he is, is not true skipper material. I also said, young though he was, Z.Merrett should’ve been made skipper...
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Crazyman wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:12 pm I’ve said for ages that Heppell, nice as he is, is not true skipper material. I also said, young though he was, Z.Merrett should’ve been made skipper...
He is a trier but his foot skills are poor, too many turnovers & today not even making the distance from a set shot from 30 meters, when a captain's goal was needed. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Players choice.

I think he’s good. Not his fault that others are meek. Heppy goes about his business with a lot of grit and tenacity. Doesn’t give in, and has a bloody red hot crack.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Windy Hille wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:36 pm Players choice.

I think he’s good. Not his fault that others are meek. Heppy goes about his business with a lot of grit and tenacity. Doesn’t give in, and has a bloody red hot crack.
Dyson may have been the player's choice, but I understand that the rest of the "leadership group" AKA the four Vice Captains were the choice of the coaching staff and other admin. I understand that this has led to some disharmony.

It appears that certain players are still disgruntled.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

s'dreams wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:10 am

Dyson may have been the player's choice, but I understand that the rest of the "leadership group" AKA the four Vice Captains were the choice of the coaching staff and other admin. I understand that this has led to some disharmony.

It appears that certain players are still disgruntled.
Sounds like we’ve descended to the Mediocrity of the Dorkers,who had their own problems and depths of farce,over their captaincy with all the tooling and froing between Fyfe and Mundy! :roll:
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Yes, he tries always but I always shudder when the pill comes to him these days. Afterwards, it seems to go anywhere in a mad, unseeing panic. Hospital passes everywhere. Then the "Captain's goal" yesterday was the last straw. Time to move over for someone with some real skills, a cool head and consistency.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Rover99 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:46 am Time to move over for someone with some real skills, a cool head and consistency.
Agreed, but I worry that there might be some kind of player revolt if we annoint someone from another club :)
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

nudder12 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:52 am
Rover99 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:46 am Time to move over for someone with some real skills, a cool head and consistency.
Agreed, but I worry that there might be some kind of player revolt if we annoint someone from another club :)
:D :D
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

nudder12 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:52 am
Very good
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Rover99 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:46 am

Yes, he tries always but I always shudder when the pill comes to him these days. Afterwards, it seems to go anywhere in a mad, unseeing panic. Hospital passes everywhere. Then the "Captain's goal" yesterday was the last straw. Time to move over for someone with some real skills, a cool head and consistency.
Heppell is the best option to captain this club. Let Merrett be Merrett for a few more seasons. Then he’ll be plump for the job. But for now, Hepps is a ripper.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I personally don’t see Merrett as the answer.

Funny as it may sound....I like the idea of The Package donning the skipper’s armband. Got a bit of mongrel about it him.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Windy_Hill wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:07 am I personally don’t see Merrett as the answer.

Funny as it may sound....I like the idea of The Package donning the skipper’s armband. Got a bit of mongrel about it him.
You’re kidding right?
I love Stringer as a footballer, but he’s less skipper material than Heppell.
Yes we need a skipper with a bit of mongrel (aka stiff spine/backbone), but there’s more to being skipper than that. If you’d said Smith, I would have agreed...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Crazyman wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:54 am
Windy_Hill wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:07 am I personally don’t see Merrett as the answer.

You’re kidding right?
I love Stringer as a footballer, but he’s less skipper material than Heppell.
Yes we need a skipper with a bit of mongrel (aka stiff spine/backbone), but there’s more to being skipper than that. If you’d said Smith, I would have agreed...
It would help if glue was part of the leadership group in the first place. The fact that he ain’t says the group doesn’t think he’s doing in the mix.
Essendunny
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

You know Windy, I was thinking exactly the same thing. I have a vague recollections of sporting teams when I was young where some big, ugly tough, mongrel (sorry Jake), got promoted to skipper in desperation and he absolutely shone and led us to victory. What have we got to lose right now FFS? Might shake a few things up - and he'd look good in a suit too. :D As for Smith...skills yes, of course but not sure about the team politics there ATM.
Heppel is a great guy but I keep wondering if his (sometimes) mad, erratic play is caused by too much pressure on him. Sick of clean, fresh faces. DO IT and stop pussy footing around.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Buddha :D
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Well, I have seen nothing but good stuff from Jake all season...goes hard into the packs, always trying, gets pumped, pumps up the fans, gets in the face of the opposition, first to jump to the defence of younger guys.

Zachy is a choir boy by comparison

Dyson is a nice guy who parrots the coach
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

And yes, I think Smith would be another option
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:27 pm Well, I have seen nothing but good stuff from Jake all season...goes hard into the packs, always trying, gets pumped, pumps up the fans, gets in the face of the opposition, first to jump to the defence of younger guys.

Zachy is a choir boy by comparison

Dyson is a nice guy who parrots the coach
There’s more to captaining than fist pumping and goal celebrations. Like stringing a sentence together.

Love the bloke, and he’s been fantastic for us, but the playing group obviously don’t see him as leadership material.
Essendunny
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

The trouble with Smith or Stringer as Captain - as I see it - is that I don't think they have enough situational awareness of what's happening out on the field as a whole. I think they're too invested in their own games. I'd put Hurley in the same boat.
Not necessarily a bad thing, just not a Captain-type thing.