MND - Mighty Neale Daniher

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

MND - Mighty Neale Daniher

Post by BenDoolan »

An amazing man with amazing courage. Thought I’d throw it amongst our Essendon thread board as he was a champion of our club.

My No.1 footy hero in 1981 after he sunk Carlton at Princess Park. Only to see him go down with a knee injury the following week. That was pretty much the end of his footy career - aged 20 and just been made official captain at the end of that season. He could have easily played 300 games, and been a dual premiership captain, and maybe a Brownlow Medallist. Sadly not to be.

Have a listen to this inspirational speech. Whenever you’re feeling down and out. Remember this man...

https://m.melbournefc.com.au/video/2019 ... rs-message
Essendunny
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Re: MND - Mighty Neale Daniher

Post by desmondo »

Totally agree with your thoughts Ben, a fit injury free Neale Daniher could definately have won the Charlie...

A champion footballer, AND just a champion human being.

And who knows?, 17/18 years from now there might be a kid called Cooper Daniher out there giving us thrills. 8)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

desmondo wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:44 pm Totally agree with your thoughts Ben, a fit injury free Neale Daniher could definately have won the Charlie...

A champion footballer, AND just a champion human being.

And who knows?, 17/18 years from now there might be a kid called Cooper Daniher out there giving us thrills. 8)
The only problem is, I don’t think Cooper is a Daniher. Not by name anyway...
Essendunny
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

Ooops sorry, :oops: my mistake. But with the Daniher progeny that is out there you would think it`s only a matter of time before there is a grandson or two from one or more of them running around in the red n black. :wink:
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Very nice BD

Couldn't agree more
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

BenDoolan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:18 pm An amazing man with amazing courage. Thought I’d throw it amongst our Essendon thread board as he was a champion of our club.

My No.1 footy hero in 1981 after he sunk Carlton at Princess Park. Only to see him go down with a knee injury the following week. That was pretty much the end of his footy career - aged 20 and just been made official captain at the end of that season. He could have easily played 300 games, and been a dual premiership captain, and maybe a Brownlow Medallist. Sadly not to be.

Have a listen to this inspirational speech. Whenever you’re feeling down and out. Remember this man...

A superb athlete in long sleeves who reminded me a lot of Hirdy in that he seemed to have all the time in the world to do whatever he liked!! The win against Carlton on their home patch was as good as it gets especially when Fitzpatrick had the ball taken from him for time wasting in our forward pocket.

Massive admiration for the bloke.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Only caught a smidge of him on The Front Bar last night.Did anyone see him in his entirety then?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:12 am Only caught a smidge of him on The Front Bar last night.Did anyone see him in his entirety then?
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

rockhole wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:53 pm
BenDoolan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:18 pm An amazing man with amazing courage. Thought I’d throw it amongst our Essendon thread board as he was a champion of our club.

A superb athlete in long sleeves who reminded me a lot of Hirdy in that he seemed to have all the time in the world to do whatever he liked!! The win against Carlton on their home patch was as good as it gets especially when Fitzpatrick had the ball taken from him for time wasting in our forward pocket.

Massive admiration for the bloke.
True that!

He had that natural ‘calmness in a crisis’ type attribute. Used to call him Mr Smooth or Mr Cool. Played 66 consecutive games before his knee injuries. Played 16 more games in the next 9 years.

But he was that good at a young age that he played for Victoria on 2 occasions. In 1981 he was part of the reason why we won 16 games on the trot. He won the best & fairest that year, and Sheeds named him captain - age 20.

Just a tragedy what took place thereafter. He made a come back in 1985 and all was going well until he did his other knee in a mid week night series game. It only took another 4 years before he came back in 1989, but only half the player he was.

As a player, I remember his great ability to read the play, his ability to foresee the next passage, and his ability to create something out of nothing. He was a smooth mover with great skills. And a damned good mark. I can still see him streaming into the goals in that 1981 night premiership win over Carlton, and then taking a huge grab in the goal square. It really is a pity we never got to see him play for 300 games. He would have been one of our greats.
Essendunny
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Incredible courage. What an inspiration. Should be acknowledged for his outstanding work on MND.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Windy Hille wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:10 am Incredible courage. What an inspiration. Should be acknowledged for his outstanding work on MND.
Ozzie of the year!
Last edited by F111 on Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

F111 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:27 pm
Windy Hille wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:10 am Incredible courage. What an inspiration. Should be acknowledged for his outstanding work on MND.
Ozzie of the year!
Would be well deserved!!
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Neale Daniher has just been announced as the Victorian of the Year and is Victoria's candidate for Australian of the Year.

Massively deserved!!! Congratulations!
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

s'dreams wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:34 am Neale Daniher has just been announced as the Victorian of the Year and is Victoria's candidate for Australian of the Year.

Massively deserved!!! Congratulations!
Fantastic!

Thoroughly deserved =D>
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Great stuff Neale,well done and well deserved! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Rover99
Regular Senior Player