West Coast v Essendon

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: West Coast v Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:53 pm

mdso wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:01 pm
Wet Toast kept us in the game by their inaccurate kicking. They should have beaten us by ten goals plus. The score line flattered us.

It was obvious late in the first quarter they were going to run right over us. Many of our players gave them far too much space. Our skills were on the night disgraceful, we are rubbish. Very few of our players were not beaten on the night. Why was Fantasia looking proppy and pulled up sore. Do we never learn about this player and his injuries? This guy is Gumbleton mark 5.

Hurley was outplayed last night and his attitude was underwhelming, even Hooker was out of sorts. Zacka was his usual self, did just enough which was not enough. There were probably three or four players who really tried and played well. The rest were ordinary at best. No excuses but the confusing umpiring didn't help anyone.

We were completely outclassed, outcoached and outplayed AGAIN.
100% agree

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:00 pm

grassy1 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:37 pm
Reckon the Umps showed us some splendid charity.Decent chaps!

Dean Margetts hasn’t forgotten his Red and Black heritage afterall! :lol:
Pfft... 10 frees in the last 15 minutes that somehow evened the frees ledger?

All it did was confuse our players even more about the rules (and why they didn't seem to apply the other 90 minutes). Now all they will think is that they need to get a few frees rather than work hard, be first to the ball and use it well.

Those frees (and the 4 goals) flattered our scoreline even more that the Wegals poor kicking
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:49 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:11 pm
Typical dumb shit show that we come to expect from our club. Can’t believe (maybe I should) the stupid decision making process we exert.

When does one wake the f*** up to the fact you’re playing into the hands of a serial interceptor in McGovern? Change it up and start kicking the ball into the forward 50 like Port did some weeks ago ffs.

Everyone up to mark / spoil, but leave their crumber free to run into an open goal. That’s childish stuff. FMD.

Bellchambers rag dolled by Hickey on I don’t know how many occasions. Soft as f***.

Pathetic.

Kicking backwards, sidewards, backwards, then to a contest, and f*** it up. Rinse and repeat.
Sickening isn't it.
To me, this sums up why it is the players that are the problem, and not the Coach.
Not even the biggest Woosha hater could think he has setup our team to do those things (and all the other dumb shit they do).

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:26 pm

bpdons wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:21 am
I don't feel so bad after this loss. I really don't think we played that bad and we kicked very accurately, and I believe that West Coast played extremely well - they just couldn't convert. I didn't notice players giving up, they kept up the chase, they just couldn't keep up with opposition clean ball use and superior running to the right positions.
I felt the backline tried really hard and were under siege from the 2nd quarter onwards, ball coming in way too fast and if they did spoil, WC had smalls around the ball to have a shot. We just couldn't keep up. Our midfield pressure let the ball come through there far too easily.

West Coast showed how large the gap is between the top teams and the rest of us and agree they should have demolished us on the scoreboard by a further 10 goals.
We played exactly to the level our ladder position suggests. We tried hard, just not anywhere near as good as the best when they're firing.
Agree with this. More positives than negatives for me. We showed plenty of pluck despite being under siege. The pressure applied to force that many behinds was admirable. Good defensive work under the deluge of forward 50 entries - and both Saad and McKenna being tagged out.

Good games from young punks Redman, Begley, McGrath, Parish and Laverde.

All this while Guelfi was done and dusted and Fantasia was stymied by some mysterious malady.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:47 pm

s'dreams wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:00 pm
grassy1 wrote:

All it did was confuse our players even more about the rules (and why they didn't seem to apply the other 90 minutes). Now all they will think is that they need to get a few frees rather than work hard, be first to the ball and use it well.

Those frees (and the 4 goals) flattered our scoreline even more that the Wegals poor kicking
Yeah,but it was good hearing the weasle supporters getting cheesed off and confused about it. :lol:

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:47 am

They played absolutely terribly. Falling over, not marking, not tackling just playing shit. Just a totally amateurish performance. If I saw McKernan falling over one more time and then literally lie on the ground. Hooker giving away that stupid free in the first that caused a 2 goal turn around started the rot.

I was so cross throughout my blood pressure is sky high.
Regards

MH_Bomber

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:12 am

grassy1 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:47 pm
s'dreams wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:00 pm
grassy1 wrote:

Yeah,but it was good hearing the weasle supporters getting cheesed off and confused about it. :lol:
What would Charlie Bucket think? 🤔

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:46 am

Windy Hille wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:26 pm
bpdons wrote:
I don't feel so bad after this loss. I really don't think we played that bad and we kicked very accurately, and I believe that West Coast played extremely well - they just couldn't convert. I didn't notice players giving up, they kept up the chase, they just couldn't keep up with opposition clean ball use and superior running to the right positions.
I felt the backline tried really hard and were under siege from the 2nd quarter onwards, ball coming in way too fast and if they did spoil, WC had smalls around the ball to have a shot. We just couldn't keep up. Our midfield pressure let the ball come through there far too easily.

West Coast showed how large the gap is between the top teams and the rest of us and agree they should have demolished us on the scoreboard by a further 10 goals.
We played exactly to the level our ladder position suggests. We tried hard, just not anywhere near as good as the best when they're firing.
Agree with this. More positives than negatives for me. We showed plenty of pluck despite being under siege. The pressure applied to force that many behinds was admirable. Good defensive work under the deluge of forward 50 entries - and both Saad and McKenna being tagged out.

All this while Guelfi was done and dusted and Fantasia was stymied by some mysterious malady.
Did you watch the game friend? Their first 5 behinds were from set shots...no defensive pressure. Our efforts were sub standard. Three players fly for a pack mark leaving their opponents unguarded. Petrucelle's stroll in and goal being a prime example. Zero pressure. They had lose men everywhere...our manning up was primary school stuff. They ran through us like a hot knife through butter. We couldnt lay a decent tackle coz no one was close enough to do so. For god sake we had just 4 F50 entries in the 2nd qtr. Four!!! That is appalling. Embarrassing!!

To even suggest we were plucky is rose tinted glasses gone mad. And herein lies the problem. Too many supporters accepting that shit against West Coast as "signs of positivity" You're dreaming if you can accept that turgid steaming pile of crap in Perth as anything but sheer junk. The club should reimburse the travelling fans for putting up with the vile performance on Thursday night.

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:58 am

Its hard to say whether it’s the players or the coach. Maybe it’s the fitness staff.

I mean the players after qtr time just looked spent. It was how they just went to pieces and couldn’t execute that has me worried. They are just not mentally tough when things don’t go to plan or their way. That was why I was so annoyed at that 2 goal turn around with stupid free Hooker gave away when we were actually playing okay in the first.

Heppell was the only guy would pretty much stood up most of the game. Are the playing group committed to him as the captain?

Who knows which Essendon will turn up next Thursday.
Regards

MH_Bomber

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:00 am

bpdons wrote:
Kicking straight doesn’t make a good game. You can kick 4 goals for a game and get smashed. Sure we kicked more than 4, but overall, we’re still shit.

I don’t believe any players give up, but how could they not chase when we didn’t have the ball and let them use it so well around the ground?
bpdons wrote:
Yes, they did and were, but, this toes into the fact that we were chasing them around all game just about as your last sentence so clearly states.
bpdons wrote:
Not just West Coast. We have this happen every year. Do well against sides around us, win a couple unexpectedly, lose to bottom feeders, get pantsed when it matters. There is no ruthless aggression in this club. We are Politically Correct version of a football club.
bpdons wrote:
Yes they did try, and yes we are not and have not been near the best teams for. Nearly 2 f****** decades.

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:14 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:46 am
Windy Hille wrote:
bpdons wrote:

Did you watch the game friend? Their first 5 behinds were from set shots...no defensive pressure. Our efforts were sub standard. Three players fly for a pack mark leaving their opponents unguarded. Petrucelle's stroll in and goal being a prime example. Zero pressure. They had lose men everywhere...our manning up was primary school stuff. They ran through us like a hot knife through butter. We couldnt lay a decent tackle coz no one was close enough to do so. For god sake we had just 4 F50 entries in the 2nd qtr. Four!!! That is appalling. Embarrassing!!

To even suggest we were plucky is rose tinted glasses gone mad. And herein lies the problem. Too many supporters accepting that shit against West Coast as "signs of positivity" You're dreaming if you can accept that turgid steaming pile of crap in Perth as anything but sheer junk. The club should reimburse the travelling fans for putting up with the vile performance on Thursday night.
Ok, so you’ve named 5 behinds where there was no pressure. What about the other 17? You’ll find our defenders were working overtime to force their forwards wide and putting them under as much pressure as possible to kick goals. That’s the admirable bit.

All you have highlighted is the obvious. Our shellacking in the midfield where their forwards had silver service all night. Now getting pantsed by a premiership midfield isn’t embarrassing. It’s probably par for the course. Losing Guelfi didn’t help our cause, and playing Fantasia with whatever decrepitude he had was debilitating for the whole team. The same can be said for Walla as he is nowhere near the same player he was.

All our runners were wearing concrete shoes - Saad, McKenna, Fantasia, Tipungwuti. Compound that with losing Guelfi, then they’re going to have a fun night feeding their forwards.

We played the reigning premier. They’re a good chance of going back to back. We pressurised their forwards who (as you point out to make my point) had a hell of a lot of entries.

I take more positive out of that than you saying “we’re crap”. While I admire your deep thinking analysis, I prefer to see things with a bit more reasoning.

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:02 am

All of that doesn’t account for countless skill errors and playing of inept dumb footy. Where was the intensity and pressure?

I didn’t expect to win but I also didn’t expect to be obliterated. Had they kicked straight they would’ve won by over 100 points.
Regards

MH_Bomber

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:45 am

MH_Bomber wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:02 am
All of that doesn’t account for countless skill errors and playing of inept dumb footy. Where was the intensity and pressure?

I didn’t expect to win but I also didn’t expect to be obliterated. Had they kicked straight they would’ve won by over 100 points.
Yep.

Until we stop topping the charts with clangers and other abysmal measures like turnovers, then we will continue to get hammered by good sides, and struggle against other junk.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:32 am

Windy Hille wrote:
bpdons wrote:

Pass the bong..

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:51 pm

Gimps wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:32 am
Windy Hille wrote:
bpdons wrote:

Pass the bong..
Have you lost yours AGAIN??

Be more careful, Eugene!

Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:15 pm

You’re delusional.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:03 pm

I don't get it. I just don't get it. Good signs? How can anybody be happy about last night, then go on to list all the things that are OBVIOUSLY bad about us as though this is the first time they've happened? The only signs I see are that short of a miracle we won't be playing finals this year or the next.

bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:14 pm

Seriously, we played the reigning premiers who quite possibly played one of their best team performances of the year (except for wayward kicking) at their home fortress and lost.
Blaming players for skill errors and falling over is overdone. Hooker played well and he dropped plenty of marks - he could still walk off with his head held high. Hurley may have looked to have a bad game, it was clear he was infuriated at the quality and speed of the delivery coming to his opponent - just after working his butt off to provide a rebound seconds earlier. His efforts were solid and definitely contributed to pressuring wayward kicking. West Coast's pressure and perceived pressure compounded any errors highlighted by previous posts in this thread.

You need to be at your absolute best to beat teams of WC's calibre over there and we got shown up. The match had the potential to go the way of Round1 when we saw players completely give up and we got pantsed. I'm appreciative of our endeavour after half time to persist and stem the tide of goals.
We can't just flick a switch like in '2000 when we had a bad game and magically kick an 8 goal quarter to swing it back. We have to work with whoever is available week by week.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:08 am

4 F50 entries in an entire quarter to their 22

give me a break

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:29 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:08 am
4 F50 entries in an entire quarter to their 22

give me a break
bpdons is spot on.

It’s not the defenders fault we only had 4 f50 entries in the 2nd quarter. That’s a midfield issue. As BP said, we played the reigning premier with a damn strong midfield. It’s no surprise.

Their wayward kicking can be attributed to the efforts of our defenders who forced them wider from goal. Do you realise that West Coast only kicked 2.1 from the centre corridor of the F50? So the rest - 12.21 was from tighter angles. That’s an impressive effort considering the dominance in the centre.

One thing no-one recognises is that we are actually seeing the benefits of Ben Rutten. Our defence is creeping up to being one of the best in the comp. All within one year of his appointment!

So while some of you are curling up in the foetal position screaming “sack Woosha” or “you’re all delusional”, there are some of us who are looking at the development and improvements of the team.