VFL Essendon 2019

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Re: VFL Essendon 2019

Post by Windy Hille »

robbie67 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:10 pm Langford future captain? Barely component enough to get a game. Give old Filthy his crack pipe back ffs.
Well, in 5 - 7 years that may change.

All I’m saying at the moment is that he is emerging as a player now. He’s just entered that 50 - 100 game period. Most players start having an impact then. A bit like Jobe.

Who’s Filthy lol?
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Windy Hille wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:41 pm
robbie67 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:10 pm Langford future captain? Barely component enough to get a game. Give old Filthy his crack pipe back ffs.

All I’m saying at the moment is that he is emerging as a player now. He’s just entered that 50 - 100 game period. Most players start having an impact then. A bit like Jobe.

Who’s Filthy lol?

I know you often compare him as "slow like Jobe was at first" but by "slow", do you mean lumbering, or slow decision making? Even when Langford is allegedly at his best, he inspires no confidence, as he always looks like a deer in the headlights. on Sunday I saw him take a pretty good mark not far from the A50 with plenty of time to either take it and kick, or pass to a runner. Instead he seemed to play on, freeze and got caught and flattened seconds later.Looks good sometimes when we're shitty but panics badly under pressure.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Rover99 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:44 pm

Who’s Filthy lol?

I know you often compare him as "slow like Jobe was at first" but by "slow", do you mean lumbering, or slow decision making? Even when Langford is allegedly at his best, he inspires no confidence, as he always looks like a deer in the headlights. on Sunday I saw him take a pretty good mark not far from the A50 with plenty of time to either take it and kick, or pass to a runner. Instead he seemed to play on, freeze and got caught and flattened seconds later.Looks good sometimes when we're shitty but panics badly under pressure.
Yes, absolutely in regards to pace and ball movement. Very similar attributes. Langers will only get better in aspects of his game. He’ll be a danger for other teams. He will have that ability to do great clearance work as well as present as a goal kicking option. Potent stuff.

I keep saying, measure his performances of his first 50 games against the next 50. You will see significant improvement along the way.

I thought he was stiff not to get the most improved award last year. For some bizarre reason, they gave it to a 28 year old Myers. Made no sense whatsoever. Especially when Langers had a rich patch of form where he was the AFL’s highest i50 entry performer over the month of June IIRC.

What you need to remember, and acknowledge, is that Kyle was learning a whole new craft in 2018. I believe he spent time in the VFL to work on that craft, and came back into the side performing better than most in the league in a particular category. Astronomical improvement!
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Windy Hille wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:20 pm

Who’s Filthy lol?

Yes, absolutely in regards to pace and ball movement. Very similar attributes. Langers will only get better in aspects of his game. He’ll be a danger for other teams. He will have that ability to do great clearance work as well as present as a goal kicking option. Potent stuff.

I keep saying, measure his performances of his first 50 games against the next 50. You will see significant improvement along the way.

I thought he was stiff not to get the most improved award last year. For some bizarre reason, they gave it to a 28 year old Myers. Made no sense whatsoever. Especially when Langers had a rich patch of form where he was the AFL’s highest i50 entry performer over the month of June IIRC.

What you need to remember, and acknowledge, is that Kyle was learning a whole new craft in 2018. I believe he spent time in the VFL to work on that craft, and came back into the side performing better than most in the league in a particular category. Astronomical improvement!
Langford would need to get a LOT better in terms of ball movement to be anywhere near compared to Jobe.
Pace and size may be similar, but his decision making is way off Jobe.
Jobe saw the play before it happened and had exquisite hands to put the ball into the best position. Langford reacts much more slowly.
Frankly, I think he's still a better proposition as a forward, due to his ability to float around and kick a couple of goals. That said, when he plays that role he doesn't get involved in play enough, because of his lack of pace.
Not bagging him, but he needs to find his most useful role for the team, and it's still up for debate so far I think.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

nudder12 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:13 am
Windy Hille wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:20 pm

Who’s Filthy lol?

Langford would need to get a LOT better in terms of ball movement to be anywhere near compared to Jobe.
Pace and size may be similar, but his decision making is way off Jobe.
Jobe saw the play before it happened and had exquisite hands to put the ball into the best position. Langford reacts much more slowly.
Frankly, I think he's still a better proposition as a forward, due to his ability to float around and kick a couple of goals. That said, when he plays that role he doesn't get involved in play enough, because of his lack of pace.
Not bagging him, but he needs to find his most useful role for the team, and it's still up for debate so far I think.
See, this is the problem. You’re comparing Langers with the elite Jobe. I’m comparing him with the first 50 games Jobe. There were many critics of Jobe back then - even Sheeds who threatened to trade him.

I’m sure if you check these boards back in the day, they’d be posters who would have lamented Jobe’s lack of pace, lack of kicking efficiency, lack of kicking (handball ratio was way too high), and generally the same sort of criticisms Kyle is copping now.

Jobe went out of his way to get fitter. Went to boxing classes, spent one on one sessions with Diesel Williams, and suddenly became elite.

Check what Kyle has been doing recently. The same thing! So look out for his next 50 games I say...
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Bottom line is we all have to hope Langford steps up as there aint a lot of choices in the big bodied midfielder area
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

VFL Team to play Box Hill on Saturday

Backs 49. Matt Dea 36. Michael Hartley 10. Aaron Francis

Half-backs 12. Mark Baguley 30. Brandon Zerk-Thatcher 41. Ben McNiece

Centreline 34. Jake Long 23. David Myers 8. Marty Gleeson

Half-forwards 33. Brayden Ham 28. Mitch Brown 55. Danny Younan

Forwards 14. Jordan Ridley 32. Noah Gown 22. Irving Mosquito

Followers 20. Zac Clarke 39. Trent Mynott 76. Will Snelling

Interchange 61. Wilson Berry 77. Heath Hocking 24. Jordan Houlahan 70. Liam McKenna 59. Aaron Heppell (C) 73. Daniel Guccione 56. Dylan Landt

62. Nino Lazzaro

23rd player 74. Riley Bowman

Handy looking line-up!!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

nudder12 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:27 pm VFL Team to play Box Hill on Saturday

Backs 49. Matt Dea 36. Michael Hartley 10. Aaron Francis

Half-backs 12. Mark Baguley 30. Brandon Zerk-Thatcher 41. Ben McNiece

Centreline 34. Jake Long 23. David Myers 8. Marty Gleeson

Half-forwards 33. Brayden Ham 28. Mitch Brown 55. Danny Younan

Forwards 14. Jordan Ridley 32. Noah Gown 22. Irving Mosquito

Followers 20. Zac Clarke 39. Trent Mynott 76. Will Snelling

Interchange 61. Wilson Berry 77. Heath Hocking 24. Jordan Houlahan 70. Liam McKenna 59. Aaron Heppell (C) 73. Daniel Guccione 56. Dylan Landt

62. Nino Lazzaro

23rd player 74. Riley Bowman

Handy looking line-up!!
a lot of senior exp in that team
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Disappointed Francis got dropped. But I suspect he hasn’t performed to the level he is capable of - even though he was played out of position.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

R11 Essendon v Box Hill

ESSENDON 10.11: 71
Box Hill 9.7: 61

Goals: M. Brown 2, N. Lazzaro 2, J. Houlahan 2, H. Hocking, W. Snelling, D. Myers, I. Mosquito

Disposals: Q2: Dea 13, Myers 12, Snelling 11
Q3: Myers 21, Snelling 17, Dea, Gleeson 16
Q4: Myers 30, Dea, Snelling 22
Last edited by BenDoolan on Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

How did we finish up,Ben?
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

grassy1 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:36 pm How did we finish up,Ben?
Scores above are the final result. 71 - 61.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Must have been a lot of scoring after 3/4 Time.Did the heavens open up and swamp Melbourne?
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

grassy1 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:02 am Must have been a lot of scoring after 3/4 Time.Did the heavens open up and swamp Melbourne?
Think Ben might have said 3/4 Time when he meant final scores.
More info about the scores etc available here - http://websites.sportstg.com/round_info ... 9-0&pool=1
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:09 am
grassy1 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:02 am Must have been a lot of scoring after 3/4 Time.Did the heavens open up and swamp Melbourne?
Think Ben might have said 3/4 Time when he meant final scores.
More info about the scores etc available here - http://websites.sportstg.com/round_info ... 9-0&pool=1
I kept updating my post. I started at quarter time, but forgot to remove the 3Q time thingy at the end.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

What a funny little slip up. :lol: Never mind!

Anyway,Did it rain in Melbourne yesterday?
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Good win! Could go all the way this season.

=D>
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Pounding Port.

76-22 half way thru the Q3...102-35 @3/4 time. 8 goal Q3 =D>

Gleeson, Myers, Baguley just half a game.
Zerk-Thatcher-hammie...but might be a corkie [-o<
Francis and Snelling effective up forward.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Absolute belting of Port!!

Francis may be in a bit of strife with a lovely right cross late in the last, but due to the fact that the recipient was not put on life support, it should be deemed "minimum contact"!!

Easy solution for Woosha here. Why not just swap the teams!!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

R13 Essendon v Port Melbourne

ESSENDON 18.20: 128
Port Melb 9.5: 59

Goals: A. Francis 4, W. Snelling 3, D. Younan 3, B. Ham 2, N. Gown, M. Hartley, J. Houlahan, N. Lazzaro, T. Mynott, J.Ridley

Disposals: W. Snelling 28, B. Ham 26, D. Younan 25, M. Hartley, A. Heppell, K. Mutch 22
Essendunny