Open Letter to John Worsfold

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Open Letter to John Worsfold

Post by Windy_Hill » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:00 pm

You’re not a Falt Earther by any chance Windy Hille?

Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:15 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:00 pm
Not at all. I’ve in fact presented evidence that the earth is round.

Are you a climate change denier?

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:20 pm

I feel sorry for Worsfold. This team truly has a split personality.

I think you have to grant him leave for the first 2 years. Who was to know that WADA would overrule ASADA and ban the players. That was year 1- cobbling together the rag tag army. I actually enjoyed that year very much. Then came ‘the return’. We played reasonably well in patches but still managed many inexplicable losses and got slaughtered in the final. The start of last year was a disaster. We bought in the guns but played like crap. Pretty much the same this year.

One in common thing about last year and this year is the mismanagement of injuries. Joe was but a shadow of his former self.

I think John Worsfold is a coach that wants the players to take charge. However this group of players are shrinking violets when it comes to that. He actually needs to lead this group. So the question in my mind is how much responsibility should the players take for these inexplicable lapses in form and how much is it the head coach?
Regards

MH_Bomber

Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:22 am

MH_Bomber wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:20 pm

I think you have to grant him leave for the first 2 years. Who was to know that WADA would overrule ASADA and ban the players. That was year 1- cobbling together the rag tag army. I actually enjoyed that year very much. Then came ‘the return’. We played reasonably well in patches but still managed many inexplicable losses and got slaughtered in the final. The start of last year was a disaster. We bought in the guns but played like crap. Pretty much the same this year.

One in common thing about last year and this year is the mismanagement of injuries. Joe was but a shadow of his former self.

I think John Worsfold is a coach that wants the players to take charge. However this group of players are shrinking violets when it comes to that. He actually needs to lead this group. So the question in my mind is how much responsibility should the players take for these inexplicable lapses in form and how much is it the head coach?
Well said MH Bomber.

That 2016 year was an opportunity to find a player or two. Walla came on the scene. He may never had been given one if not for our horrendous circumstances. Walla was a breath of fresh air that year. While he may currently be displaying some quiet patches, he has been great asset. He will be a fine player for many years.

Parish was given full access into our midfield and came close to winning a rising star award. He’s now showing some excellent form. He’s s big improver this year.

Conor McKenna was given an opportunity too. A lot in here bagged him and wished he went back to Ireland. I stuck by him, asked others to “give him time”, and now he’s a bonafide star.

Mason Redman got his first game in 2016. Look at him now!

McKernan came off the rookie list, and now he’s having an influence in the games he plays.

And some believe our players are going backwards. Like I said, some people just don’t want to open their eyes.

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:09 am

Yes there are positives with some players, yes 16 was a write off and IMO better than expected...17 was essentially a rebuild.

But, as a club, we have gone nowhere.
On song beat anyone, but too often we lose when shouldn’t and get thrashed when there is a chance to show something.

There does not appear to be a plan b or any in game adjustments from the coaching box to change things. Players keep getting picked when they shouldn’t (ffs Myers dropped himself not the coaches).

As I have said previously, this club is so PC aggression is a dirty word...

And BTW, this is not just Woosha, we have been like this since 2003/4

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:19 pm

Zacha is backing Woosha to take Essendon to a finals win.

Gotta love self interest.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:49 pm

Windy Hille wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:15 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:00 pm
Not at all. I’ve in fact presented evidence that the earth is round.

Are you a climate change denier?

Nope, I for one fully support change. The sooner the better!

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:03 pm

MH_Bomber wrote:

You see this is where I have to respectfully disagree....the pro Worsfold lobby always say “you can’t count the first 2 years”. Yet he made the finals in the second year! So that kind of puts to rest the notion that he was struggling with a team that needed kid glove treatment. I would argue his first 2 years were his best for differing reasons. His failure to build on those years demonstrates an inability to move forward with a clear vision and game plan. The damning evidence is that the players he has been provided with and the natural growth of many young talents should have delivered improvement regardless of gameplan. This has simply not happened. Fact.

Windy Hille pointed out an interesting stat in terms of ladder positions over the last decade or so and there is no doubt that Worsfold has been consistent, 2016 aside. Yet it is clear that despite having arguably a far better squad at his disposal than say Hird, Thompson and Knights had, operating under less challenging circumstances (Knights with the Sheedy effect and Hird/Thompson the supplement saga), Worsfold has delivered nothing better than. Richmond like mediocrity. As I have repeatedly said, finishing 9th with 12 wins is no better than finishing rock bottom last. A season wasted. At least finishing last delivers a number one draft pick but guess what, we gave that away with the Shiel Deal in a further attempt to give Johnny a competitive squad.

Anyone who believe Worsfold is the man to take this club to a flag is kidding themselves. We are not going to win the flag this or next year. You can put your house on it. So we will amble into next season pretty much as we are today and if we are lucky, we will produce another 12-10 season, finish ninth and Worsfold will surely end up having his contract expire. So I guess on that basis, we may as well go into hibernation for the remainder of this year and all of next as this club goes through its “Rinse and Repeat” cycle. See you in 2021.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:12 pm

Windy Hille...in court trials, there is a long held rule for prosecuting lawyers....never ask a question that you don’t already know the answer. It can only backfire

Pointing to Sean McKernan as a prime example of player development under Worsfold is not a good play.

Another popular courtroom phrase comes to mind....You want the truth? You can’t handle the truth”

The below 2019 season stats for McKernan makes your argument look about as solid as runny mash potato. (Apologies for the clumped up numbers...it’s a straight copy and past and I can’t be bothered tidying it up....that would require more effort than a Langford chase!!). You get the idea at least. Averaging 10 disposals and less than 1 Goal a game. Fantasy/Supercoach scores of 55 and under.

GM K HB D M G GA B T HO FF FA CL CG I50 R50 AF * SC *
Total. 7 47 28 75 26 6 0 7 8 47 7 12 11 25 12 3 368 385
Average 7 6.7 4.0 10.7 3.7 0.9 0 1.0 1.1 6.7 1.0 1.7 1.6 3.6 1.7 0.4 52.6 55.0

That is not even a work in progress

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:10 pm

MH_Bomber wrote:

You want the players to take charge?

You have to recruit footballers, not (predominantly) private school athletes if you want that.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:04 pm

Dear John

I'm sorry.

Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:22 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:12 pm
Windy Hille...in court trials, there is a long held rule for prosecuting lawyers....never ask a question that you don’t already know the answer. It can only backfire

Pointing to Sean McKernan as a prime example of player development under Worsfold is not a good play.

Another popular courtroom phrase comes to mind....You want the truth? You can’t handle the truth”

The below 2019 season stats for McKernan makes your argument look about as solid as runny mash potato. (Apologies for the clumped up numbers...it’s a straight copy and past and I can’t be bothered tidying it up....that would require more effort than a Langford chase!!). You get the idea at least. Averaging 10 disposals and less than 1 Goal a game. Fantasy/Supercoach scores of 55 and under.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Daisy..1
High Draft Pick

Post by Daisy..1 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:42 pm

s'dreams wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:04 pm
Dear John

I'm sorry.
Hmm...don't be apologetic just yet...THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT WEEK!

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:07 am

Daisy..1 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:42 pm
s'dreams wrote:
Dear John

I'm sorry.
You’re on absolute fire tonight! :lol:
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:38 am

Daisy..1 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:42 pm
s'dreams wrote:
Dear John

I'm sorry.
Beat me to it. Watch in the last 2 weeks, season on the line, play a shit side, win we’re in, lose we miss and we end up getting spanked.

Make and win a final, then I’d apologise...

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:35 am

8 Rounds to go,7 Wins necessary to make the Finals.

Still much work for everyone to do,Coaches and all.

Good luck Everyone!

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:27 am

Windy Hille wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:22 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:

I’ll cop that fair and square. :wink:

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:31 am

grassy1 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:35 am

Good luck Everyone!
12 wins and percentage may be enough in a tight season. So 5 more wins with some decent margins may be enough. If this team is good enough, it could win 4 next of the 5. But I wouldn’t count on it. Sydney at the G, North at Marvel, Adelaide away then Gold Cost away followed by Port at Marvel. Other than Adelaide we should be favourites in 4 of those games based on tonight’s result

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:46 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:27 am
Windy Hille wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:22 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:

I’ll cop that fair and square. :wink:
Very magnanimous of you Windy_Hill. But don't give up just yet - chances are you'll still be right for 4 of the next 5 rounds :)

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:47 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:31 am
grassy1 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:35 am

Good luck Everyone!
12 wins and percentage may be enough in a tight season. So 5 more wins with some decent margins may be enough. If this team is good enough, it could win 4 next of the 5. But I wouldn’t count on it. Sydney at the G, North at Marvel, Adelaide away then Gold Cost away followed by Port at Marvel. Other than Adelaide we should be favourites in 4 of those games based on tonight’s result
As the cliché goes....one week at a time....one week at a time!