R15 Essendon v GWS

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: R15 Essendon v GWS

Post by BenDoolan » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:03 am

Daisy..1 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:25 pm
Even though the crowd numbers were not overly big, i am pretty confident we helped get them over the line in the end...ooh...and maybe Hookers mark/goal. We got some frees back from the Bald Git late in the last...and the crowd ensured them.
The crowd after the game and heading out of the station was reminiscent of a finals win....great atmosphere there tonight.
Well done Saad, he was in everything tonight...and Hooker...well he deserves his hot chocolate and cuddles after the game tonight... vingertje
Haha, love your work Daisy :lol:
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:31 am

What a cracking win =D>

This is the sort of character building effort that will propel our young group to better things. Tough opponent, back to the wall (losing Ambrose before game and then Belly during game). Great effort.

Adam Saad is just a dynamo. His ability to hit contest at full tilt and gather the bell cleanly is great to watch. His intercept in the first quarter that set up the Fantasia ark and goal was superb. Then that 2nd quarter effort in the middle of the ground that set up a McKernan goal, was a two goal turnaround. Brilliant steal.

When are guys like Parish and Langford going to be acknowledged by you lot? These kids are doing a great job. They are growing into top players. It is HAPPENING. Same for Pidgey. Redman is a cracking player. He’s the most improved this season for mine.

Daisy..1
High Draft Pick

Post by Daisy..1 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:40 am

Windy Hille wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:31 am
What a cracking win =D>

This is the sort of character building effort that will propel our young group to better things. Tough opponent, back to the wall (losing Ambrose before game and then Belly during game). Great effort.

Adam Saad is just a dynamo. His ability to hit contest at full tilt and gather the bell cleanly is great to watch. His intercept in the first quarter that set up the Fantasia ark and goal was superb. Then that 2nd quarter effort in the middle of the ground that set up a McKernan goal, was a two goal turnaround. Brilliant steal.

When are guys like Parish and Langford going to be acknowledged by you lot? These kids are doing a great job. They are growing into top players. It is HAPPENING. Same for Pidgey. Redman is a cracking player. He’s the most improved this season for mine.
Me...apart of "This Lot"...has always backed Parish...I rate him highly. I guess the frustration CAN BE..perhaps due to his size/bulk (lack there of) he can sometimes seem to back out of the hard contests...i saw it a couple of times tonight...but in saying that ..this season he is playing in the top tier of our current players.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:29 am

BenDoolan wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:03 am
Daisy..1 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:25 pm
Even though the crowd numbers were not overly big, i am pretty confident we helped get them over the line in the end...ooh...and maybe Hookers mark/goal. We got some frees back from the Bald Git late in the last...and the crowd ensured them.
The crowd after the game and heading out of the station was reminiscent of a finals win....great atmosphere there tonight.
Well done Saad, he was in everything tonight...and Hooker...well he deserves his hot chocolate and cuddles after the game tonight... vingertje
Haha, love your work Daisy :lol:
Good stuff Daisy!Don’t mind the odd Hot Chocolate and a cuddle meself,with all this cool,wet weather our way.

Instead,I’ll take the warm inner glow of Victory over AWFULL’s Love Child!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:42 am

Rover99 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:05 pm
s'dreams wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:01 pm
And for Benny we only had 50 clangers to their 69. There might be something in this stat.
The worst clanger to my mind was at end of Q1 I think, when I'd just tuned in. Someone took a mark in front, about 30 metres out with almost no defenders around, then fired a lazy hand ball to someone with a defender on his tail in the goal square and it was bundled away for no score. When I saw that, I almost switched it off again. Can't remember who it was...
Parish was the villain.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:25 am

Windy Hille wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:31 am
What a cracking win =D>

Re Parish...pls read my post on the need to get his new contract signed ASAP. Anyway the point is that people can only judge players on their form and advancement...if that is not happening then it’s fair enough to question them...isn’t it? I thought he was average tonight but did some good things in the last term, like most. As for Langford, he got 4 votes from me.

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:25 am

Unfortunately couldnt get to the game due to a shocking bout of gastro.

On telly the crowd reactions to the comeback and winning goals were brilliant.

I would put this win down to one of the best in the last 2 years. The whole team put in and were determined to fight fight fight.

For a start we finally got a good rub of the green with umpiring decisions in the last. That helped.

The Foxtel media were carrying on about the goal by Mckernan that got us to level scores draw being touched. I personally couldnt see any definitive evidence if touched. The ball didnt deviate. Touched off the boot should not be part of goal video decisions. In normal play the field umpire calls any kicks where they hear or sense touched off the boot. Why should this be different for shots on goal?
Every one of these have been judged wrongly lately so I thank God that goal wasnt overturned as a point by video review. They need to get rid of this entire system.

Great and memorable win boys and against a quality opponent.
Last edited by MH_Bomber on Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

MH_Bomber

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:55 am

MH_Bomber wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:25 am
The Foxtel media were carrying on about the goal by Mckernan that got us to level scores draw being touched. I personally couldnt see any definitive evidence if touched. The ball didnt deviate. Touched off the boot should not be part of goal video decisions. In normal play the field umpire calls any kicks where they hear or sense touched off the boot. Why should this be different for shots on goal?
Every one of these have been judged wrongly lately so I thank God that goal wasnt overturned as a point by video review. They need to get rid of this entire system.

Great and memorable win boys and against a quality opponent.
Not just the foxtel - 774, Herald Sun, Age... Only Channel 7 didn't (arguing that only one very blurry angle showed anything and it was hard to overturn ... did that have anything to do with Jobe being a guest commentator?).

Despite the "touch". Essendon would have won by 1 point if overturned... "but the momentum" I hear everyone argue ... well what about Clarke's disallowed HTB 20 m out in the first half? Or that shocking decision in the ruck at the start of the 4th Quarter that immediately turned into a goal.

So if we are going to overturn decisions - can we get the 50m that should have been given against Rampe, and overturn the Anzac Day asymmetry. No? Well OK then.

Single (non) decisions don't decide games, consistent patterns of decisions do (look at the home ground advantage in Perth or Adelaide but not in QLD or Melbourne).

Also - it shows just how hated the club is among other supporters. I recon Tanner and co should stop trying to appease others by being nice and making safe appointments and just say f***-em.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

rockhole
Club Captain

Post by rockhole » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:59 pm

As I trudged off to the "House of Mouse" last night, fully expecting a ritualistic belting, my mind went back to a game in, I think, 2009 when we came up against a rampant Geelong team after having been belted by the Hawks the previous week by over 70 points. We were at around 8 to 1 which blew out to 12 to 1 after the Cats kicked the first 3 goals of the match.

We managed to overcome the Pussies with Melksham playing the game of his life and the Dons succeeding in a display of sheer will power over skill.

That effort was on show again last night with a ferocious attack on the ball overcoming the silky skills of GWS. Even lacking a forward until the last quarter, we managed to hold the ball in our forward line until we could extract some measure of reward.

And what can you say about Mr. Hooker!!! I remember him starting off at the same time as Tayte Pears as a gangly awkward, mistake prone misfit with Pears leaping ahead in his development. More than once, Hooker has saved our bacon although we did not see the "reverse torp" that he kicked to bury the hawks Back in 2015.

Matches like this confirm your resolve to attend when all seems lost.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:24 pm

rockhole wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:59 pm
As I trudged off to the "House of Mouse" last night, fully expecting a ritualistic belting, my mind went back to a game in, I think, 2009 when we came up against a rampant Geelong team after having been belted by the Hawks the previous week by over 70 points. We were at around 8 to 1 which blew out to 12 to 1 after the Cats kicked the first 3 goals of the match.

We managed to overcome the Pussies with Melksham playing the game of his life and the Dons succeeding in a display of sheer will power over skill.

That effort was on show again last night with a ferocious attack on the ball overcoming the silky skills of GWS. Even lacking a forward until the last quarter, we managed to hold the ball in our forward line until we could extract some measure of reward.

And what can you say about Mr. Hooker!!! I remember him starting off at the same time as Tayte Pears as a gangly awkward, mistake prone misfit with Pears leaping ahead in his development. More than once, Hooker has saved our bacon although we did not see the "reverse torp" that he kicked to bury the hawks Back in 2015.

True, Rock.

The guy next to me last night was lamenting it was on Thursday night and that he had to be at work at 6am today. He said he would be leaving midway through the last quarter regardless. As it turned out, we were down around 19 points in the last when he said “ that’s it, I’ve had enough”. I said to him “ we’ll probably come back and snatch this while you’re in the car heading home”. He just laughed...

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:15 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:24 pm
rockhole wrote:

True, Rock.

The guy next to me last night was lamenting it was on Thursday night and that he had to be at work at 6am today. He said he would be leaving midway through the last quarter regardless. As it turned out, we were down around 19 points in the last when he said “ that’s it, I’ve had enough”. I said to him “ we’ll probably come back and snatch this while you’re in the car heading home”. He just laughed...
I had the same experience with an old guy standing next to me at the MCG at three qtr time on the last day of September in 1984.

rockhole
Club Captain

Post by rockhole » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:10 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:15 pm
BenDoolan wrote:
rockhole wrote:

True, Rock.

I had the same experience with an old guy standing next to me at the MCG at three qtr time on the last day of September in 1984.
Your kidding me!!! I would have joined a monastery had that happened to me.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:45 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
rockhole wrote:

True, Rock.

Well, that tops anything. FMD, how could you live with yourself after missing out on the most exhilarating 30 minutes of Bomber glory.

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:12 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
#-o

I'm picturing someone crying into a very large beer, but sobbing with happiness.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:22 am

ABC joining the howl of protest that we somehow cheated our way to a win on Thursday night, almost rivalling the monkey up the goal post. FFS, never even questioned! :D

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:52 am

Rover99 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:22 am
ABC joining the howl of protest that we somehow cheated our way to a win on Thursday night, almost rivalling the monkey up the goal post. FFS, never even questioned! :D
Let’s be honest though, the AFL are a f***-head organisation. All the controversies this season has been met with an AFL “review” of all incidents and then coming out and “ticking off” all decisions as correct.

It’s great to see and hear that everyone is getting f****** fed up of all the bullshit that comes out of AFL House. Keep lambasting the ******** is all I say. Call for Gil’s head, and just tear them down. Pack of arse clowns 🤡

mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:31 am

Yes, more and more people are actually seeing how this organisation known as the AFL works. If the AFL is to change then whoever takes over from Gillon McLaughlin must be from a completely different culture otherwise, it will be more of same, same. Questions have even been asked about the AFL Commission which is really another "old boys club with the occasional women " on the Board.

The future of the AFL and new CEO of the AFL, must be someone who is respected (not from being a champion footballer or a sportsperson) but for who they are as a person. This means they are authentic and integral. They walk the walk and talk the talk. Now that would be a refreshing change. This change must start from the top down and go all the way through the organisation to the bottom ranks. Its a big ask I know but unless it happens this way there will be no change at all.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:05 am

I dont care how many ex players and pundits say that ball was touched, the vision is not definitive.

Everyone of these decisions that has been overruled and been wrong of late. I am so happy that 1) it wasnt reviewed (stopping our momentum when we had them off the bit) and 2) overturned - costing us a vital goal

Touched off the boot was never the original intention of the VRS. It was to stop the supposed howler on goal decisions. In reality there had been very few wrong umpiring decisions in my memory of footy watching.

Subjecting us to replay after replay that tells us jack shite about what actually happened is a blight on the game.

It is wrong on so many levels:

1) The review of clear cut scores

2) It comes up with wrong result in at least 80% of the time

3) The up to 2 minute messing around with replays with allows sides under the pump despite.

4) Footy was was better without it

Get rid of it and go back to the goal umpire making the decision with the all clear given by the field
Regards

MH_Bomber

gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:21 am

BenDoolan wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:52 am
Rover99 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:22 am
Let’s be honest though, the AFL are a f***-head organisation. All the controversies this season has been met with an AFL “review” of all incidents and then coming out and “ticking off” all decisions as correct.

It’s great to see and hear that everyone is getting f****** fed up of all the bullshit that comes out of AFL House. Keep lambasting the ******** is all I say. Call for Gil’s head, and just tear them down. Pack of arse clowns 🤡
The AFL is on the hamster wheel as a result of positioning itself as the authority on everything from moral/social issues to how the game should be played. As a direct result, they are now in the unenviable position of having to have a definitive answer to ALL questions put to them. They have backed themselves into a corner with seemingly no exit available.

If you want to see someone who is skilled at being able to identify issues that require strong public comment, and those that don't, have a look at our current PM. The AFL would do well to take a leaf out of his book.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:23 am

MH_Bomber wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:05 am
I dont care how many ex players and pundits say that ball was touched, the vision is not definitive.

Everyone of these decisions that has been overruled and been wrong of late. I am so happy that 1) it wasnt reviewed (stopping our momentum when we had them off the bit) and 2) overturned - costing us a vital goal

Touched off the boot was never the original intention of the VRS. It was to stop the supposed howler on goal decisions. In reality there had been very few wrong umpiring decisions in my memory of footy watching.

Heard the same thing last night,on a replayed interview on TAB Radio in Perth,MH.In a more balanced discussion of the issue,the Howler was the original intent of bring the review in and whilst it sounded great,it was still never going to be perfect,as even the technology couldn’t be 100% spot on.But now,from my angle it’s become a complete dog’s breakfast.

So,blowed if I know why the ABC is having a go at us over this Farce!Sheet the blame home to the AWFULL Commission.Is the spectre of Bloody Whately hanging over them,even after he left them? :lol:

Subjecting us to replay after replay that tells us jack shite about what actually happened is a blight on the game.

It is wrong on so many levels:

1) The review of clear cut scores

2) It comes up with wrong result in at least 80% of the time

3) The up to 2 minute messing around with replays with allows sides under the pump despite.
Can you imagine the respite the Scum would have got if the review was operating on a certain Magnificent Goal,September 25,1993? :shock: Thank heavens that didn’t happen,
4) Footy was was better without it
Yes it certainly was.But we know the AWFULL Commission.They can’t keep their hands off our great game! :roll: :-& :evil:

Get rid of it and go back to the goal umpire making the decision with the all clear given by the field