R16. Essendon V Swans

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Re: R16. Essendon V Swans

Post by billyduckworth » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:31 pm

We really need to lift. This is a season defining moment. If we lose today, we have absolutely no hope of making the finals. If we lose IN MELBOURNE to the Swans, we cannot be taken seriously as a team.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:45 pm

Rover99 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:28 pm
BenDoolan wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:33 pm
Heppell: OUT

Langford: IN
Oh not the least bit concerned. Langford is AA material and someone even said he might be the next skipper :) :D
Not Langford causing stress - ZClarke, Laverde, Guelfi, Brown and even Merrett having shockers. Is Clarke tagging? Seems in strange places.

Clearances +9 to them, disposals +58 to them, marks +26 to them, contested posessions +16 to them...

Like the Wizard of Oz, lack of heart and courage and brains is hurting us. Come in Dorothy!
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:47 pm

And predictably - Hooker has been pushed forward - too late!!!

Ailir has 6 clearances - 4 of which have resulted in goals.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:55 pm

Last quarter stars - Parish and McGrath. Outstanding.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:45 pm

I can honestly say that we were gifted that game by the umpiring...that’s two games in a row against interstate opposition where we have enjoyed a +10 Free Kick advantage.

Essendon were putrid for 75% of the game, just as they were against GWS.

Our disposal skills have to be amongst the worst in the league. Our kicking into the F50 is nothing but hoof ball.

Of course will take the win but play like that against a decent team (one with its key forward and first ruck playing) we will get smashed.

Unfortunately without Bellchambers, it’s going to be very hard for us.

hop
Club Captain

Post by hop » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:30 pm

Oh yes Bellcho is the saviour of this team......PLEASE!!! :roll:

Zac Clarke should never be played again.
Zac merrett should never be made captain again.
Our best mid-fielder (Jake Stringer) is also needed to play forward.
Our best forward (Cale Hooker) is also needed to play back.

In the last two games whenever we have the ball the oppositon are playing man on man - but when they have the ball we are loose and unaccoutable.
We play from behind - constantly.
We have 2 or three flying for the contest with no one at ground level.
We have no marking forward - until Hooker is swung into attack or McKernan is having one of his 'on' days.
We rely too heaviy on the two or three half backs to provide drive. (McKenna, Saade McGrath)

Umpiring got us over the line today - dont delude yourselves otherwise.

A competent and well structure outfit will decimate us in the coming weeks.

We are making up the numbers at best.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.

rockhole
Club Captain

Post by rockhole » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:21 pm

We have won four of the last five and have crept into the eight. I don’t give a rat’s arse how we win as long as we keep winning. One of those wins was against a potential Grand Finalist. And don’t start me on “We only beat teams when they are without star players”
We are missing All Australians and club champions and are still winning.

We have seen some of what this team is capable of this year and also draw from what we produced at the end of last year. Take a look at the game against Port Adelaide as an example.

I know it looks ugly but we are still winning.

How long it lasts is anyone’s guess but it sure beats the hell out of losing.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:09 pm

rockhole wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:21 pm
We have won four of the last five and have crept into the eight. I don’t give a rat’s arse how we win as long as we keep winning. One of those wins was against a potential Grand Finalist. And don’t start me on “We only beat teams when they are without star players”

We have seen some of what this team is capable of this year and also draw from what we produced at the end of last year. Take a look at the game against Port Adelaide as an example.

Indeed!

I thought the win today was gutsy. We were getting flogged in the centre clearances due to Heppell being out and Merrett copping a knock (and Clarke giving us donuts). Both Parish and McGrath were outstanding in the last quarter.

We found a way.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:44 am

Glad Essendon found a way and yes,it may have been scrappy,we may have got lucky through bad Umpiring,but in more ways than one,we paid Sydney back for last time.Poetic justice reallly,after last time. :lol:

Can anybody tell me,what their record is against us in Melbourne,the past 10 times we played them Home?And How long did those 10 visits actually take?20 years? :roll:

Don’t any ****** from the outside lecture us about luck,after all the jagarsed bullshit escapes Sydney had,North of the Murray!

This result might play a part in Longmire’s immediate future.Watch this space!

Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:47 am

Taking into consideration our midfield was hit by the absence of Hepps and Zachy (for a fair chunk), it was a great win.

I was concerned about Hooker allowing Sam Reid off the leash a fair bit, and was glad to see him shifted up forward. The usual slingshots were terrific for us - Saad and McKenna. Absolute Stars. Franga Francis was really good down back, as too, Popeye Gleeson.

Zaka was the cream on the cake today. Nice bit of polish. And young guns in Parish, McGrath and Langers did the job in the last stanza.

We obviously lack that key position monster up front, but good ol’ Smack is doing an excellent job around the ground and popping up as a cameo forward.

Fantasia just doesn’t seem to have any flow in his game. Been quiet for 3 weeks now. Hope he gets over whatever ailment he has. Great to see Stringer back. Class.

Laverde needs a big game or a spell. Just don’t seem to get enough from him. Houlahan is lurking for a spot.

Overall, very pleased with that grinding win. A great learning curve for our kiddies. Bonza.

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:39 am

BenDoolan wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:09 pm
rockhole wrote:

Indeed!

I thought the win today was gutsy. We were getting flogged in the centre clearances due to Heppell being out and Merrett copping a knock (and Clarke giving us donuts). Both Parish and McGrath were outstanding in the last quarter.

We found a way.
Agree with all the above.
Winning ugly is becoming a thing - across the whole league. So many ugly games. Lower scores. It's not just us. All teams are setting up to deny the opposition the "switch" and it means the whole game is being played "down the line" in a contested environment. High pressure, skill errors, hard to find time to pinpoint passes into F50. Even harder for forwards to time their leads. The game, overall, is becoming a real slog.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:53 pm

nudder12 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:39 am
BenDoolan wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:09 pm
rockhole wrote:

Indeed!

We found a way.
Agree with all the above.
Winning ugly is becoming a thing - across the whole league. So many ugly games. Lower scores. It's not just us. All teams are setting up to deny the opposition the "switch" and it means the whole game is being played "down the line" in a contested environment. High pressure, skill errors, hard to find time to pinpoint passes into F50. Even harder for forwards to time their leads. The game, overall, is becoming a real slog.
So is that translating into more and more serious injuries overall? (Perhaps not so much, as ground surfaces become better generally.)

Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:23 pm

Rover99 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:28 pm
BenDoolan wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:33 pm
Heppell: OUT

Langford: IN
Oh not the least bit concerned. Langford is AA material and someone even said he might be the next skipper :) :D
It’s gathering momentum...