Skills???

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Skills???

Post by Crazyman »

How the f*** can professional footballers be so f****** bad.

Constantly missing targets, no awareness how to put the ball to advantage, can’t kick straight forward goals...

I think it’s not just us, but across the board. Modern players are footy dumb for the most part...
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Re: Skills???

Post by billyduckworth »

I think it's part of the overall deterioration of our once great game. Today's players are arguably better at tackling and running than the 1980s, but hopeless at leading and kicking to position, which used to be a key part of Australian football. I remember the great full forwards Hudson McKenna etc on a long lead. Matthew Lloyd was probably the last of that breed.

Now because of the running and tackling, as well as the weird way they umpire it, it looks far more like rugby than ever before. It's a tragedy. Our unique game has been all but destroyed.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

The game has become glorified "British Bulldog"

Gotta say, Kyle Clangford outdid himself today...he wasn't alone of course, but I think I counted 6 contests where we lost possession after his direct involvement - either through fumbling or misplacing a handball/kick. He has to be the most frustrating player in the team - he's your classic "almost guy" - almost marks it, almost delivers a killer handball, almost collects the loose ball. I suspect after the next 2 seasons, he will be killing it in the EDFL.

Shiel gets away with it through sheer wight of possessions but he must be right on Clangers tail in the abysmal disposal department.
Daisy..1
Regular Senior Player

Post by Daisy..1 »

Agree....our game today mirrored that of last nights game...certainly not pretty....Bring Back the 80s!
Image]
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

But. They. Run. 18. Km. in. 100. minutes.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Windy_Hill wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:33 pm The game has become glorified "British Bulldog"

Gotta say, Kyle Clangford outdid himself today...he wasn't alone of course, but I think I counted 6 contests where we lost possession after his direct involvement - either through fumbling or misplacing a handball/kick. He has to be the most frustrating player in the team - he's your classic "almost guy" - almost marks it, almost delivers a killer handball, almost collects the loose ball. I suspect after the next 2 seasons, he will be killing it in the EDFL.

Shiel gets away with it through sheer wight of possessions but he must be right on Clangers tail in the abysmal disposal department.
Interestingly, the player with the most clangers as recorded by Champion data was McGrath with 5. Guelfi, Zaha, Redman and McKernan had 4.

Langford had only 1.

Langford and Guelfi should spend the week doing ground ball work. Stringer should spend the week watching movies about achievement from cooperation and doing trust exercises so he can learn to pass the ball in the forward 50 from impossible angles rather than constantly trying the "hail Mary" shot on goal.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

s'dreams wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:20 pm
Windy_Hill wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:33 pm The game has become glorified "British Bulldog"

Interestingly, the player with the most clangers as recorded by Champion data was McGrath with 5. Guelfi, Zaha, Redman and McKernan had 4.

Langford had only 1.

Langford and Guelfi should spend the week doing ground ball work. Stringer should spend the week watching movies about achievement from cooperation and doing trust exercises so he can learn to pass the ball in the forward 50 from impossible angles rather than constantly trying the "hail Mary" shot on goal.
he also only managed only 3 contested possessions and had zero clearances - bog average for your primary "big bodied" inside mid.

And as I said his fumbles alone cost numerous turnovers

Clangers alone don't really convey ineptitude. There are simply no statistical categories for some of the fluffs, missed opportunities, tackles not laid and contests not contested that seems to plague Kyle's game
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

s'dreams wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:44 pm But. They. Run. 18. Km. in. 100. minutes.
Don’t forget the bullshit stat,metres gained!

Fair dinkum,I could almost wring the neck/s of those responsible for that Crap! #-o :-& :evil:
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Back in the day, if you couldn’t kick, you were a defender. All they were expected to do was spoil, mark when required, or punch in the back of the head. Nowadays, defenders are supposed to spoil, mark, run like mad, pinpoint passes, and basically set up the attack from there.

Everyone is just following the ball around the ground. 36 midfielders are out there. Gone are the days when we used to actually label players - full forward, forward pocket, wingman, rover, ruck rover, centre half back, full back etc. What are they labelled these days? Athletes!

The only skill they have is endurance and stamina. Forget the finesse.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Crazyman wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:45 pm How the f*** can professional footballers be so f****** bad.

Constantly missing targets, no awareness how to put the ball to advantage, can’t kick straight forward goals...

I think it’s not just us, but across the board. Modern players are footy dumb for the most part...
So true.
Importantly, it's not just us. It's across the league.
I wrote elsewhere about "winning ugly" and why it's a thing - it's to do with the game style of the game currently. Skills are more under pressure.
I reckon the other factor is that skills training has dropped off, and it's a lot more match simulation training these days - more about structure, position, etc etc.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Windy Hille wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:01 am Back in the day, if you couldn’t kick, you were a defender. All they were expected to do was spoil, mark when required, or punch in the back of the head. Nowadays, defenders are supposed to spoil, mark, run like mad, pinpoint passes, and basically set up the attack from there.

Everyone is just following the ball around the ground. 36 midfielders are out there. Gone are the days when we used to actually label players - full forward, forward pocket, wingman, rover, ruck rover, centre half back, full back etc. What are they labelled these days? Athletes!

Players past of The World Game might share the same opinion.The players of today might be athletes,but where’s the true talent lie elsewhere.Emmlynn Hughes(Rip),Liverpool Captain made some interesting comments about different generations on Match of the 70’s(narrated by Dennis Waterman) Part 3 or 4,on You Tube,that raised my eyebrows anyway.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Thats
Windy Hille wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:01 am Back in the day, if you couldn’t kick, you were a defender. All they were expected to do was spoil, mark when required, or punch in the back of the head. Nowadays, defenders are supposed to spoil, mark, run like mad, pinpoint passes, and basically set up the attack from there.

Which is why we should make a play for Powell-Pepper who still hasn't made it back into the Port team after 3 weeks. Just the type we need.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

nudder12 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:43 am
Crazyman wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:45 pm How the f*** can professional footballers be so f****** bad.

So true.
I wrote elsewhere about "winning ugly" and why it's a thing - it's to do with the game style of the game currently. Skills are more under pressure.
I reckon the other factor is that skills training has dropped off, and it's a lot more match simulation training these days - more about structure, position, etc etc.
Sorry I don't agree that skills are not so important anymore in this League. There is a reason teams like us are where we are currently and it is a lack of skills and discipline/structure. As someone said, a disciplined and skilled team would take us apart any day. And look at the top 4. The only time they lose is when their skills and discipline let them down. There may be exceptions but I still believe that that's the rule . And if our coach can't enforce or deliver structure, skills and discipline (manning up, leading/positioning, effective disposal, finishing off a quarter and kicking to advantage) , we are selling ourselves short as a team
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Rover99 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:15 pm

So true.
Sorry I don't agree that skills are not so important anymore in this League. There is a reason teams like us are where we are currently and it is a lack of skills and discipline/structure. As someone said, a disciplined and skilled team would take us apart any day. And look at the top 4. The only time they lose is when their skills and discipline let them down. There may be exceptions but I still believe that that's the rule . And if our coach can't enforce or deliver structure, skills and discipline (manning up, leading/positioning, effective disposal, finishing off a quarter and kicking to advantage) , we are selling ourselves short as a team
I never said skills aren't important. They are.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

nudder12 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:44 pm
Rover99 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:15 pm

So true.
I never said skills aren't important. They are.
Sorry, true: It wasn't an opinion, just an observation.
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

s'dreams wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:43 pm Thats

Which is why we should make a play for Powell-Pepper who still hasn't made it back into the Port team after 3 weeks. Just the type we need.
THIS..

No matter the result/results of the coming weeks we should seriously target Powell-Pepper, he is exactly what we are missing at the mo and seriously need, a big bodied mid that gets enough of the ball and pressures opponents when he doesn`t have it. Apparently looking for suitors. :)
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

fantasia should be asked if he is really wanting to go back home. he has one more left and if he does want to leave after next year we will be at the mercy of the 2 adelaide clubs. if essendon shop him now at least we have some leveredge knowing he still has 1 year left.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

DC2 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:30 am fantasia should be asked if he is really wanting to go back home. he has one more left and if he does want to leave after next year we will be at the mercy of the 2 adelaide clubs. if essendon shop him now at least we have some leveredge knowing he still has 1 year left.
Another one of these hair brained ideas. Why on earth would we want to shop around a vice captain who has match winning abilities?

Rocks. In. Head

:roll:
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

Windy Hille wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:55 am
DC2 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:30 am fantasia should be asked if he is really wanting to go back home. he has one more left and if he does want to leave after next year we will be at the mercy of the 2 adelaide clubs. if essendon shop him now at least we have some leveredge knowing he still has 1 year left.
Another one of these hair brained ideas. Why on earth would we want to shop around a vice captain who has match winning abilities?

Rocks. In. Head

he has said he wants to go back to adelaide at some point. why wait and get bent over a barrel. i would love to keep him but if players want out when their contract is up then there free to go. BTW the only person on this forum with rocks in their head is you thinking langford is a future A grade mid.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Windy Hille wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:55 am

Rocks. In. Head

He's in the Leadership Group, but he's not vice-captain.