Getting Back into the Draft

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Getting Back into the Draft

Post by Windy_Hill » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:17 am

I am hearing it’s a fairly decent draft this year, certainly the top 10 or so represent a high degree of potential. Yet we won’t be invited to the party. As you know, we will hand over our first pick to GWS as part of the Shiel Deal.

So how can we get a Top 10 selection? Do we need it? What type of player?

I think we have to look at trading Laverde and Langford for perhaps 2 late second rounders. I think Langford is treading water. Laverde I am not sure about...he just cant seem to have that break out game. Both are now in their 5th season.

I know this always results in groans but you got give up something to gain something. Maybe it’s time to seriously consider Fantasia...he wants to go back eventually and perhaps a bidding war between Port and Adelaide could work in our favour. Perhaps Francis is a candidate for the same reasons?

The counter argument is that we are in a potential Premiership window. My observations this year would suggest otherwise. I can’t see Hooker, Hurley, Zaka and perhaps Heppell playing in a flag winning team. These guys are all on the wrong side of 28. So perhaps it’s time to bite the bullet?

In my view we need a forward marking target, a ruckman and a ball winning inside mid.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Re: Getting Back into the Draft

Post by grassy1 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:27 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:17 am
I am hearing it’s a fairly decent draft this year, certainly the top 10 or so represent a high degree of potential. Yet we won’t be invited to the party. As you know, we will hand over our first pick to GWS as part of the Shiel Deal.
Bugger!That probably means we won’t get hold of Larke Medallist Dev Robertson,then? #-o That is in spite of what I said on Sport FM Radio in Perth,Friday morning. :-"
So how can we get a Top 10 selection? Do we need it? What type of player?

I think we have to look at trading Laverde and Langford for perhaps 2 late second rounders. I think Langford is treading water. Laverde I am not sure about...he just cant seem to have that break out game. Both are now in their 5th season.

I know this always results in groans but you got give up something to gain something. Maybe it’s time to seriously consider Fantasia...he wants to go back eventually and perhaps a bidding war between Port and Adelaide could work in our favour. Perhaps Francis is a candidate for the same reasons?

The counter argument is that we are in a potential Premiership window. My observations this year would suggest otherwise. I can’t see Hooker, Hurley, Zaka and perhaps Heppell playing in a flag winning team. These guys are all on the wrong side of 28. So perhaps it’s time to bite the bullet?

In my view we need a forward marking target, a ruckman and a ball winning inside mid.

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:06 am

Let’s focus on making the 8 while we’re still a chance.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:04 am

Windy Hille wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:06 am
Be my guest

In the meantime, I will continue to ponder what we need to do to improve this squad...unless of course you believe they are mutually exclusive.

What a petulant response Windy...it’s a discussion forum for god’s sake. All things Essendon so I believe.

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:30 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:04 am
Windy Hille wrote:
Be my guest

In the meantime, I will continue to ponder what we need to do to improve this squad...unless of course you believe they are mutually exclusive.

What a petulant response Windy...it’s a discussion forum for god’s sake. All things Essendon so I believe.
Hmmm...the only thing petulant is your response.

I think I understand it’s a discussion forum. I think my comment forms part of that discussion?

By all means continue to ponder. It doesn’t mean everyone is going to agree or provide you with the kind of response you’re looking for.

I prefer to look at the now, while they are still developing a team under some duress and are doing ok at the minute.
I know you’re a little bit whingey when it comes to certain players. You tend to get all negative Nancy even when we win ugly. Always looking for the faults instead of the sparks. So and so fumbled, so and so seem to be stagnant, so and so haven’t become the next Dustin Martin.

And you denigrate these players while suggesting trades that belie your storytelling.

I’m all good. I’ll continue to support the young crop of kids we have. You can continue to whinge...

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:21 pm

It’s worth raising,because wouldn’t the List Manager And a few others,such as the Board have to continually monitor all the possibilities of players renegotiating new contracts,players staying,going,draft possibilities,opposition players up for grabs,etc?

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:46 pm

Windy Hille wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:30 am
Windy_Hill wrote:
Windy Hille wrote:
Be my guest

I think I understand it’s a discussion forum. I think my comment forms part of that discussion?

By all means continue to ponder. It doesn’t mean everyone is going to agree or provide you with the kind of response you’re looking for.

I prefer to look at the now, while they are still developing a team under some duress and are doing ok at the minute.
I know you’re a little bit whingey when it comes to certain players. You tend to get all negative Nancy even when we win ugly. Always looking for the faults instead of the sparks. So and so fumbled, so and so seem to be stagnant, so and so haven’t become the next Dustin Martin.

And you denigrate these players while suggesting trades that belie your storytelling.

I’m all good. I’ll continue to support the young crop of kids we have. You can continue to whinge...

I think the pertinent point is, as we enter the last third of the season, is to ask the question whether this team is capable of making the finals firstly and then winning a premiership. Discussing the squad deficiencies and what we need to do to improve it is a perfectly reasonable discussion point. Your reaction to it is to come online and basically dismiss the need for the discussion. How f****** arrogant. If you dont think its worthy of sensible, productive comment, or for that matter counter argument, then just ignore it and move on. Put it this way, if you took the time to post such a thread, I am not sure I would come here to simply dismiss it as being irrelevant because "we"should focus on making the eight first". Dont you see how that is simply being, as I said, petulant?? I would rather hear your thoughts on the matter. Instead, you have made a decision that the subject does not warrant discussion at this point in time.

Come on mate, you're better than that.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:48 pm

Are we still into Charlie Cameron...did some amazing things in the game vs GWS

Not sure how we could prise him away without some pretty decent trade currency. Would be the perfect replacement for Fantasia. Perhaps, now is the time to trade Fantasia back to Adelaide for a first round selection then move that on to Brisbane for Cameron?

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:33 am

He’d be good,but he surely wouldn’t leave Brisbane after just 1 season?

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:59 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:46 pm
Windy Hille wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:30 am
Windy_Hill wrote:
Windy Hille wrote:
Be my guest

I think the pertinent point is, as we enter the last third of the season, is to ask the question whether this team is capable of making the finals firstly and then winning a premiership. Discussing the squad deficiencies and what we need to do to improve it is a perfectly reasonable discussion point. Your reaction to it is to come online and basically dismiss the need for the discussion. How f****** arrogant. If you dont think its worthy of sensible, productive comment, or for that matter counter argument, then just ignore it and move on. Put it this way, if you took the time to post such a thread, I am not sure I would come here to simply dismiss it as being irrelevant because "we"should focus on making the eight first". Dont you see how that is simply being, as I said, petulant?? I would rather hear your thoughts on the matter. Instead, you have made a decision that the subject does not warrant discussion at this point in time.

Come on mate, you're better than that.
Petulance: the quality of being childishly sulky or bad-tempered.

Think my post had nothing to do with either of those. Yours on the other hand...

Like I already said, you can keep on whinging. No problem. It’s funny how you haven’t added to your open letter to Woosha thread. Or are you waiting for an inevitable loss to let fly again?

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:16 pm

Arrogance - adopting an air of assumed superiority, often through the dismissal of another’s view. Bingo! You take the prize Windy.

So tell me Windy, how is posting a thread about future trades not relevant to a forum all about , “All Things Essendon”? In your mind, it is irrelevant and we should simply limit this forum to focusing on making the eight. How are we, mere strangers on an Internet forum going to bloody well make difference to whether the team makes the eight simply because we focus on the subject. Surely we are entitled to branch out into other discussion points, being of course relevant to the forum’s purpose?

You will argue the point as always, but to simply dismiss another person’s more than reasonable and articulate post suggests a salty minded person at best, a pompous cock at worst.

Why not simply join in the conversation...

And as for your comment as to why I haven’t posted on the “open letter to John Worsfold ” thread for some time, I assume you don’t mean the more than 40 plus posts I have already added to the thread?!!!! Seriously, how many posts should I make Windy? But just to satisfy your desire for more....here you go.

John Worsfold has not advanced this club in his almost 4 years...we are no better off than we were three years ago. We are treading water or at best, making up the numbers. The club persists in playing inconsistent football. The last 2 wins have been made up of largely rubbish football where player skills have been appalling and coaching moves made possible only by injury, not forward thinking (see Hooker’s move forward vs GWS). Wins were achieved by one or two quarters of decent play. Not to mention 20+ free kick differential. Worsfold in my opinion should be shown the door if we again fail to make the 8 in 2019. This squad, while not perfect, is being wasted on a one dimensional, high risk game plan and an unimaginative coach who thinks hoofing the ball high into the forward line to Walla or Raz is modern and efficient football at its best. Our team looks clueless for most games. Yes we have won the last 2 but look at the opposition...faltering interstate teams travelling to Melbourne. And frankly, we were luck to win either. Nevertheless, I remain optimistic and with the right coach and some decent additions to the basic core group, I really believe this team can go places.

As to your point about denigrating players or other club officials...umm...it’s football pal, that’s what fans do. They debate the virtues of players and whether or not they deserve to be on the team. I know you get wood for Kyle Langford. I don’t. But if you bother to actually read all of my comments on Langford, I am more than willing to acknowledge his performance good and bad. I have no personal issue with any player...who does? But If they don’t bring any value to the team then we are all entitled to express our disappointment. Thus my post about future trade, a matter of only just under 3 months away. The view has to be, who in the squad can be used for trading...in order to improve the team, regardless of ur final ladder position.

I think my post was perfectly reasonable. You obviously don’t. So as I have said...if you don’t want to add a considered comment relevant to the post and simply want to dismiss it, just let it go and move on.

So I await your considered comments....would love to know who you think we should be seeking to bolster the team and what players are trade bait. Anytime you want to join that discussion I welcome your thoughts and look forward to rigorous debate.

But don’t be a twat and simply answer the post with the sort of dismissive and plain arrogant response that you came up with for this one.

Cheers

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:07 pm

grassy1 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:33 am
He’d be good,but he surely wouldn’t leave Brisbane after just 1 season?
I am getting my players mixed up...oops. Bad call on my part. I meant Martin, not Cameron.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:26 pm

No worries Hilly. :D

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:05 pm

We'll probably get our pick back
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:57 pm

boncer34 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:05 pm
Say again Bonce (and welcome back)

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:17 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:57 pm
boncer34 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:05 pm
Say again Bonce (and welcome back)
Bit of scuttlebutt going around that GWS are talking to us about giving it back to us for points.

Ie 1st for 2 × 2nds.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.