Open Letter to John Worsfold

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Re: Open Letter to John Worsfold

Post by Crazyman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:45 am

Whilst I feel for Bellchambers getting injured, it might be the one injury this year that we don’t regret.

That said, I can’t yet endorse Woosha this year. It was a forced change he wouldn’t have done had Belly not pinged his calf. Question is, can he stick to a winning formula and who comes in???

Hurley and Francis back, Hooks stays fwd and shares ruck with SMack, if fit, Stringer back in only change...

I hope this was a kickstart and not another false dawn...

mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:21 am

One thing we must do and that is give up ideas of JoeDan coming back, he may not. We must learn to get along without JoeDan and we are now doing that. In fact in some instances we play better without him than with him. Sadly, a great talent who may never get the opportunity with an on-going injury. I agree but I doubt Woosha would have made any change had Belly not hurt his calf even though he has been a bit proppy for several weeks.

Unfortunately, Zac Clarke is simply not up to it, his hand and foot skills are abysmal. Draper is injured. Perhaps, we need to learn to make do with Hooker, Smack, Ambrose until either Belly or Draper are injury free.

We have an opportunity ahead of us now - last night's win against GWS will give the boys some confidence in their abilities and staying power.
We don't know how far it might take us? Could we win 5 of the next 7 games? Well, we did it last year, but that was then and now is now.
My expectations of this team are at an all time low. So, with a sprinkle of magic dust I am throwing caution to the wind - anything can happen.
With a big glug of optimism and newly found confidence could take us into the 8? Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Have a crack. The possibilities are endless if our timing's right and the footy gods are with us. Go Bombers. vingertje =D> vingertje =D> vingertje =D>
Nothing usually happens until something happens.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:10 pm

Well to start with it’s 5 from 8 more games and if they play consistently then 4 of the next 5 are definitely gettable. That would then need 1 from the last 3 giving us 12 wins. That may be enough?

mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:34 pm

Even if we win the games required we may still lose on percentage. So, it is all in the lap of the footy goods and lady luck.

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:36 pm

Our viewing group at the game were saying Hooker had to go forward. Hooker had a terrible first half and GWS were scoring goals from marks within 30 metres of goal, some within 15metres. We were scoring from general play and missing the simpler opportunities. Marks I50 for us were bugger all.
Crazyman wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:45 am
....Hurley and Francis back, Hooks stays fwd and shares ruck with SMack, if fit, Stringer back in only change...

I didn't like Hooker in the ruck. He didn't compete half the time and it'll just get him injured playing that role.

There's also Ridley and Brown that might be used across half back in that interception roll. Brown has had some experience at it, Ridley has spent most of his time there. Ridley has been wing/midfield/forward in the 2's lately though.

Also BZT & Stewart...injuries :roll:

None ideal however but sometimes ya gotta use wot ya got.

I'd love to be a fly on the selection room wall next week. That'd be a fascinating discussion.

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:17 pm

Apparently Paul Corrigan and Rob Harding are leaving the club at the end of this season.
Oddly, or maybe not that odd given the slack EFC "news" service, there doesn't seem to be an official statement from the club about this.
Or is it more BS from Marc McGowan? The same guy that said Raz is leaving.

mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:11 am

I think we should consider Jarrod McVeigh as an Assistant Coach.

Apparently he was due to come back through the VFL and hurt his calf again. He would be a great midfield coach. Consider?

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:24 am

mdso wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:11 am
I think we should consider Jarrod McVeigh as an Assistant Coach.

Apparently he was due to come back through the VFL and hurt his calf again. He would be a great midfield coach. Consider?
VFL?
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:02 am

Is he doing a Drew Petrie,coming out of retirement to play for the Eagles Reserves in the WAFL?

Then again,unlike the Eagles,I can’t really ask if McVeigh’s pilling the piss out of the VFL.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:40 pm

Firstly on Worsfold....got my doubts despite recent results. Definitely on the way to securing his job for another 12 months. But...we will probably finish 9th or at the very best 8th with an away Elimination Final likely to be interstate.

Injuries will no doubt paper over the cracks in both the squad and game plan. But as long as we keep winning there is very little reason to point fingers.

I still believe we are essentially the same quality of team as we were last years....in fact, this season is almost a carbon copy of last year. Poor start, lose Daniher, better second half of the season.

Bottom line, Essendon still look out of their depth against seriously good competition.

Assistant coaching may be the key to unlocking the obvious potential. If Worsfold stays, then it’s vital that we find the best possibly assistants. I would be looking at one of these guys eventually stepping up to the senior coaching position.

I am not familiar with the possible candidates but one would be stupid to not look at Hodge or Sam Mitchell. Clarkson protégés, Star Players , and from all reports, excellent mentors.

stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:00 pm

I'm eating Humble Pie.
Massive Turn around Woosha =D>

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:13 pm

Without a doubt that was Worsfolds best coaching effort at this club. I really admire the way he managed the team in light of so many injuries.

It is such a shame we started the year so badly. This has to be a focus for him and the team in future seasons. As of now, he has got this team playing great footy and I really hope for Worsfold they can keep it going.

For some strange reason, Gold Coast next week makes me a little nervous....we simply cannot be complacent.

stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:14 pm

Don't Think so.
On a Mission...

bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:30 pm

I’ve got a bad feeling for GC next week. They’re sitting ducks and our lot are hungry. Whilst I hope we win, I don’t want to see a thrashing - nobody deserves that.

Agree with Windy_Hill; really strong coaching effort tonight. Every player knew their role. All looked at sea when 30 behind but he rolled the dice and believed in the plan.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:39 pm

Sorry BP,I don’t!

If we’re truly a genuine Finals team,we have to be Absolutely Ruthless against them and Fremantle for starters,Home or Away!

NO MERCY!

stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:58 pm

Tear em a New 1...
No Mercy...
With the Years of shit we went through.
Who gave a Shit except Essendon Club Members Supporters...
Time to be Absolutely Brutal to whoever gets in our way...
Go Bombers.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:05 am

We need the percentage.

Aim for a 100+ point win.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:56 am

We should just play the same way we did in the second half last night. Gut running, blokes putting their bodies on the line, need I say "the hard ball gets, the pressure acts".

I think we just to have that mindset. The scoreboard will be what it will be.

The difference will be you won't see our coaches laughing like a pack of pricks at handing out a hullmiliation like Pyke and Adelaide coaching team. When I saw that I just knew we were a chance against this mob. Thrashing a side like the Crows did GC actually took a lot of energy and they dropped off mightily against us in the second half.

I reckon Stewart Dew would be having his own little laugh about our victory.

Good on you Woosha and the whole coaching team. We are playing a fantastic brand of exciting tough footy. This is the Essendon I know and have always loved to watch.
Regards

MH_Bomber

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:08 am

MH_Bomber wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:56 am
We should just play the same way we did in the second half last night. Gut running, blokes putting their bodies on the line, need I say "the hard ball gets, the pressure acts".

I think we just to have that mindset. The scoreboard will be what it will be.

The difference will be you won't see our coaches laughing like a pack of pricks at handing out a hullmiliation like Pyke and Adelaide coaching team. When I saw that I just knew we were a chance against this mob. Thrashing a side like the Crows did GC actually took a lot of energy and they dropped off mightily against us in the second half.

Mmmmmmm,maybe MH.I saw that scenario last week and it would easy to be critical.I think it was a crows error(I stand corrected if wrong),that got them laughing.When you’re that far in front,you’re entitled to laugh when your team makes a glaring error,instead of going crook about it.I really don’t think Don Pyke meant any disrespect and Stewart Dew had less reason than Ross Lyon to distract the Media from his team’s awfull performance!

I’m no defender of Ross Lyon.FAR from it,like one Brad Hardie in Perth.But I think he was entitled to ask what protection there was for Fyfe last week,in several incidents OFF the ball,even if he himself,got someone like Ryan Crowley to employ similar tactics to what Hawthorn did.

I reckon Stewart Dew would be having his own little laugh about our victory.

Dew may have thought Pyke was being disrespectful,but he’s clutching at straws in my book.And that is a small reflection on his performance,having lost several matches in a row.I say small,because in reality,he’s holding the reigns of the AFL’s Absolute Lame Duck!The best Coaches in History couldn’t rescue the Suns even if they had a head start!

Good on you Woosha and the whole coaching team. We are playing a fantastic brand of exciting tough footy. This is the Essendon I know and have always loved to watch.
Couldn’t agree more and it’s great to see,but we should be very wary about falling into the trap of just rolling up and expecting to win with little effort.That’s the perfect recipe for a Bad Loss to a Bad Club and then they’re the ones that are laughing.

Our supporters are entitled to think we should Thrash this Mob,laugh at them hard and show scant respect for one of AWFULL’s Love Children And a Basket Case at that!

It’s the job of the Coaches and players to treat each opponent on their Merits and Win against them,the best way they believe how.

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:15 am

grassy1 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:08 am
Couldn’t agree more and it’s great to see,but we should be very wary about falling into the trap of just rolling up and expecting to win with little effort.That’s the perfect recipe for a Bad Loss to a Bad Club and then they’re the ones that are laughing.
Our supporters are entitled to think we should Thrash this Mob,laugh at them hard and show scant respect for one of AWFULL’s Love Children And a Basket Case at that!
It’s the job of the Coaches and players to treat each opponent on their Merits and Win against them,the best way they believe how.
As supporters we are absolutely right to expect a thrashing.
As footballers, they need to avoid that complacent thought. It'll kill the endeavour. Complacency kills!