Fitness Staff

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Fitness Staff

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:27 am

Back at the start of the season (25th March)...
ESSENDON'S fitness department is in for a revamp one week into the season following the departure of strength and conditioning manager Paul Turk.

Turk will this week leave the Bombers after eight years.

BOMBING OUT Dons cop a hiding from Giants

He was North Melbourne's strength and conditioning coach for six seasons before joining Essendon.

Turk has accepted a job with AFL Queensland and will be based on the Gold Coast.

Essendon's general manager of football, Dan Richardson, said the Bombers would use current staff to replace the roles played by Turk.
Full article here: https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-25/do ... ss-departs

I know every club has injuries blah blah blah, but we seem to injury the same players over and over and over. The same players with the same injuries, and a lot of it at f****** training ffs.

I don’t care what else we do, but this department needs a total revamp.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Re: Fitness Staff

Post by grassy1 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:56 am

And/or Player Preparation methods need a revamp as well,in my book!

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:13 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:27 am
Back at the start of the season (25th March)...
ESSENDON'S fitness department is in for a revamp one week into the season following the departure of strength and conditioning manager Paul Turk.

Turk will this week leave the Bombers after eight years.

BOMBING OUT Dons cop a hiding from Giants

He was North Melbourne's strength and conditioning coach for six seasons before joining Essendon.

Turk has accepted a job with AFL Queensland and will be based on the Gold Coast.

Essendon's general manager of football, Dan Richardson, said the Bombers would use current staff to replace the roles played by Turk.
Full article here: https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-25/do ... ss-departs

I know every club has injuries blah blah blah, but we seem to injury the same players over and over and over. The same players with the same injuries, and a lot of it at f****** training ffs.

I don’t care what else we do, but this department needs a total revamp.
If only they could dye their fitness regimes rather than their hair
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:16 pm

Everyone from the Board down has to be under the microscope!From today onward,....

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:48 pm

Mental Fragility

How the hell do we deal with this issue. Yesterday’s game being a prime example of lacking the mental capacity to switch on, persevere, apply effort, implement game plan, run harder for longer. I get that the game plan is paper thin but surely when that’s not working the players have the common sense to go one on one and play hard contested, tackling, pressure footy.

Why is it that we are so inconsistent and have been for years? Superstars for a qtr, shite for the rest. It’s almost as if this playing group has just been so heavily indoctrinated with bad habits that no coach will ever be able to wean the players off them.

I am eternally frustrated watching other sides with arguably weaker talent, simply putting in the effort...you need look no further than the Bulldogs yesterday. When was the last time Essendon played four quarters with that passion and effort?

We always joke about how some unknown player suddenly becomes a superstar when playing us. When are one of our lesser known players going to do that to another team.

Essendon has been a poor team for a very long time now. Even traditionally weak clubs have made and in some cases, won grand finals during our time in the wilderness. Sure, it’s harder for these clubs to sustain long term periods of success often due to lack of off field finances. But that cant be our excuse...we are loaded with cash. So what is so wrong with this club that allows it to, in a time of equalisation policies, remain so utterly tepid? Where is the hunger and drive that focuses on team success. I suspect it is invested in marketing and corporate sponsorship deals. You only ever hear from Xavier Campbell when he is gloating about membership numbers or the latest sponsor. Where is he when there needs to be an open dialogue with fans about why we continue to underperform. Sadly, missing in action.

Yes, fitness and injury management is a serious concern but it is really only one of many problems. I don’t profess to know the answers but I do know this. When a sporting entity publishes its 8 or so Mission Statements or strategic objectives and unbelievably fails to mention on field success as on of these goals then you seriously have to wonder what the f*** is going on.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:58 pm

And just in case you were wondering what the strategic themes of our great club are, here you go. Lifted directly from the club website....nary a mention of players actually giving a fucck

2017 - 2021
STRATEGIC THEMES
1. DELIVER BEST PRACTICE MEMBER & SUPPORTER EXPERIENCE
2. IDENTIFY & STRENGTHEN KEY COMMERCIAL RELATIONSHIPS
3. DELIVER GENUINE COMMUNITY OUTCOMES, PARTICIPATION AND ENGAGEMENT
4. DEVELOP AND EMBED UNIQUE EFC FOOTBALL PHILOSOPHY
5. RESPONSIBLE FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT & MAXIMISE INVESTMENTS
6. DRIVE PURPOSEFUL INNOVATION
7. ESTABLISH CLEAR AND ENDURING BRAND POSITION 8. STRENGTHEN INDUSTRY RELATIONSHIPS
9. CREATE HIGH PERFORMANCE PEOPLE CULTURE

mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:20 pm

We can all talk until we are blue in the face, it will make no difference. This club has accepted mediocrity as its martyr, learned to bow and scrape during the saga to the AFL and that's where we have remained, sucking arse. We are mentally weak. From the top infiltrating all the way down to the playing group. The once mighty, respected and feared Essendon Football Club is, no more.

This year will be my last as a paying Member. All I can change is this. I will always be red and black but something has to give. I have followed this club for almost seventy years and I have never felt more disillusioned.

But; what really annoys me, is the way the club has used and abused injured players. Where is their duty of care to the players and staff? We made that mistake back in 2012 and here we are, in a different form of it. EFC you are a disgrace.
Last edited by mdso on Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:25 pm

Yep, gotta love words. Easily written. Easily read. Sometimes interpreted differently. Often expressed without demonstrated evidence.

Does anyone know the club motto? Would a player know if asked? Doubt it. Does anyone at the club look at it and embrace it? If not, why have it?

Words.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:55 pm

Club Motto

" Why give a f***, to the hard questions just duck"

or in Latin

" Fabricus Maximus Dinarus"

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:11 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:55 pm
Club Motto

" Why give a f***, to the hard questions just duck"

or in Latin

" Fabricus Maximus Dinarus"
In that case, they've embraced it

:lol:

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:13 am

Suaviter in Modo, Fortiter in Re (Gently in manner, resolutely in execution)

The actual opposite of much of our playing performance in the last 15 years.

Funny mdso you are contemplating not renewing your membership because after that insipid effort that was the very thing that went through my mind. Why am forking a significant bread for 2 membership when
all the players seem to worried about is the colour their hair and how lairy their boots look.

We missed two players with loads of ticker on Saturday and that was Guelfi and Saad. I know Guelfi donned the peroxide blonde but Harvey issued him the ultimatum 'you better you be able to back that up' and he largely has. Saad has been outstanding this year.

Playing Heppell was a disaster against a running machine like the Dogs. Both he and Hooker effectively cant run. Get him that operation right away. Get Hooker's back / sciatica sorted out. This was the game to try ZT, Mosquito and Jok. We needed serious pace.

We need some A Grade fitness and conditioning people because what has been happening just isnt up to scratch.

Once again we are looking spent and worn well before the business end of the season.

If that is the case what is going on with training loads. The fact the Guelfi got injured at training is just ridiculous.
Regards

MH_Bomber

bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:03 pm

I am in no position to advise what the club should or shouldn’t do.
- We’ve tried new coaches.
- we’ve tried premiership coaches
- we’ve tried fitness and assistant coaches from premiership teams
- we’ve tried trading top picks for A grade players
- we’ve benefited from father/son selections
- we’ve benefited from free trade players
- We’ve tried the most on-edge sports medicine regime which backfired
- we’ve tried our most beloved players at a coaching level
- we’ve tried using top 10 picks to get elite natural talent
- we’ve got one of the best facilities in the country to prepare and train at
- we play majority of our games inside during winter to maximise scoring potential.

It’s not like we haven’t tried as a club to correct things. What is consistent is that we feel we’ve been on the right track but lacked the consistency and execution to deliver when it counts.

bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:26 pm

After listening to many ex football player podcasts on SEN “this is your sporting life”, it’s refreshing to hear the efforts and teamwork required to endure success in yesteryear. The fundamentals of football have not changed.

I remember hearing a Collingwood trade scout talking about the qualities they look for in teenagers and high on his list was “Ability to read the play, produce 2nd-3rd efforts”. He summarised to say that they preferred players who backed themselves and actually gave a shit rather than sublime skills. He mentioned Brodie Grundy as an example of not the best going around during the draft but he saw something which paid dividends come finals.
Compare this to how I interpret Essendons preference to pick up athletes.

I’m not suggesting we look at our recruiting department. I’m just sharing my observations.

My suggestion for the team of 2020 is to get 1:1 mentors from previous Essendon premiership players in the same position or with similar capability. Learn what it takes to play in a team that will be remembered forever and deliver the ultimate sporting achievement. Constructive honest feedback from champions of the game. Worth more than money in my opinion

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:15 pm

yes we have tried many things but its mostly been an abject failure

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:05 pm

Seriously, when we really analyse what we’ve done this season, one cannot explain this...

We started the year in absolute shit condition. We were depleted before we started, and then produced absolute crap for the first few weeks. Our ‘data’ showed we were miles behind the competition as fitness goes. Seriously, WTF is with that? A whole pre-season amounts to diddly squat.

And now here we are a few weeks out from the end of the season, and we are again depleted...and worn out.

Daisy..1
High Draft Pick

Post by Daisy..1 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:44 pm

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:14 pm

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:21 pm

Just saw this BD and came straight here for your reaction.

A little underwhelmed if I am to be perfectly honest... :wink:

Joe Daniher’s groin just popped a bottle of bubbly

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:34 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:21 pm
Joe Daniher’s groin just popped a bottle of bubbly

robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:42 pm

What a surprise! Announcing someone around the edges is leaving after a performance like that. Have to be seen to be doing something. f****** myths.