Our ruck crisis...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
bpdons
High Draft Pick

Re: Our ruck crisis...

Post by bpdons »

I’d rather give Roughead from Hawthorn more time if he believes he still has more to offer.
If not up to AFL standard then still a great leader teaching the young ones. Can ruck and go up forward.
He has the heart & desire to will teams across the line
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

bpdons wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:44 am I’d rather give Roughead from Hawthorn more time if he believes he still has more to offer.
If not up to AFL standard then still a great leader teaching the young ones. Can ruck and go up forward.
He has the heart & desire to will teams across the line
I definitely agree but maybe he wants to go out in a burst of glory like yesterday, instead of down the toilet.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

nudder12 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:57 pm
s'dreams wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:49 pm
Bombers hope for Ryder return

By Jake Niall
August 19, 2019 — 8.18pm

Essendon has expressed strong interest in bringing Paddy Ryder back to the Dons, as the out-of-contract ruckman weighs up his future.

Ryder not yet made a decision on his future, but has attracted significant interest from his old club, despite Essendon having signed young ruckman Sam Draper to a four-year deal.

Ryder, who is 32 and has injury issues over the past couple of years, is understood to be seeking a two-year deal, with St Kilda also having shown some interest in Ryder, as the Saints look at options for a ruckman to support Rowan Marshall.

Port have offered Ryder only a one-year contract. The Power would prefer to keep the veteran ruck though Ryder has relinquished much of his rucking duties to former Eagle Scott Lycett, who joined the Power as a free agent at the end of last year and they have young follower Peter Ladhams, too.

A potential return to Essendon by Ryder would be a remarkable turn of events, given the All-Australian ruckman departed the club at the end of 2014 and was traded to Port Adelaide in the middle of the ASADA saga, signing a five-year deal with the Power.

While Ryder and his partner had cited welfare concerns about injection program back in 2014, there is no issue between the Dons and their former player.

Greater Western Sydney is another club in the market for a ruckman, but it seems unlikely that they could afford Ryder. The Giants have been considering Adelaide veteran Sam Jacobs, who is out of contract and has spent several weeks in the SANFL after the Crows preferred younger follower Reilly O'Brien.
Hmmmmmm...... my heart and my head say no

Apart form getting screwed over by Port a second time (he aint a free agent) - do we bring him back on good coin to keep Draper out of the side?

And it's about time that the club invested in another young ruck anyway.
The only way I'd see Ryder back here is to take Zac Clarke's place as a backup. And only on a one year deal.
I would rather Zac Clarke than a washed up, injury prone 32 year old back stabbing opportunist.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Windy_Hill wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:13 pm
nudder12 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:57 pm
s'dreams wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:49 pm
Bombers hope for Ryder return

By Jake Niall
August 19, 2019 — 8.18pm

Essendon has expressed strong interest in bringing Paddy Ryder back to the Dons, as the out-of-contract ruckman weighs up his future.

Ryder not yet made a decision on his future, but has attracted significant interest from his old club, despite Essendon having signed young ruckman Sam Draper to a four-year deal.

Ryder, who is 32 and has injury issues over the past couple of years, is understood to be seeking a two-year deal, with St Kilda also having shown some interest in Ryder, as the Saints look at options for a ruckman to support Rowan Marshall.

Port have offered Ryder only a one-year contract. The Power would prefer to keep the veteran ruck though Ryder has relinquished much of his rucking duties to former Eagle Scott Lycett, who joined the Power as a free agent at the end of last year and they have young follower Peter Ladhams, too.

A potential return to Essendon by Ryder would be a remarkable turn of events, given the All-Australian ruckman departed the club at the end of 2014 and was traded to Port Adelaide in the middle of the ASADA saga, signing a five-year deal with the Power.

While Ryder and his partner had cited welfare concerns about injection program back in 2014, there is no issue between the Dons and their former player.

Greater Western Sydney is another club in the market for a ruckman, but it seems unlikely that they could afford Ryder. The Giants have been considering Adelaide veteran Sam Jacobs, who is out of contract and has spent several weeks in the SANFL after the Crows preferred younger follower Reilly O'Brien.
Hmmmmmm...... my heart and my head say no

Apart form getting screwed over by Port a second time (he aint a free agent) - do we bring him back on good coin to keep Draper out of the side?

And it's about time that the club invested in another young ruck anyway.
The only way I'd see Ryder back here is to take Zac Clarke's place as a backup. And only on a one year deal.
I would rather Zac Clarke than a washed up, injury prone 32 year old back stabbing opportunist.
Funny you should say that - Zac looks like missing this week due to injury!! And, as much as I've defended Clarke this year, I'd say Ryder is still a better Ruck option.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

If forced to pick Z Clarke or Ryder, Ryder every time.

However, would rather not have either...
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Crazyman wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:55 pm If forced to pick Z Clarke or Ryder, Ryder every time.

Z Clarke, thanks for coming.
P Ryder, yeah nah...NAH!
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

Crazyman wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:55 pm If forced to pick Z Clarke or Ryder, Ryder every time.

this. ryder is cooked. last thing the club is another injury ruckmen. best ability is availability.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

zac clarke listed on AFL site as 2-3 weeks with leg injury.

Gotta get TBC up and playing in time for Finals.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Windy_Hill wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:10 am zac clarke listed on AFL site as 2-3 weeks with leg injury.

Windy your Avatar looks too damn happy about that news :D :D
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Rover99 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:02 am
Windy_Hill wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:10 am zac clarke listed on AFL site as 2-3 weeks with leg injury.

Windy your Avatar looks too damn happy about that news :D :D
Hahaha, entirely subconscious you understand...
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Ryder has nominated that Graveyard for ex-Bombers, St Kilda

Oh well, there's just Boyd left.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

s'dreams wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:08 am Ryder has nominated that Graveyard for ex-Bombers, St Kilda

Oh well, there's just Boyd left.
Ryder is a moron! He pointedly gave the club a swipe when he declared St Failure as his destination of choice.
Thank f***! We need this bloke back like a returning STD.

Yet it doesnt solve our crisis.
We have a lightweight.
An untried kid coming off a knee reco.
And a superannuated never-been who can't move or has little instinct for the game.

We have to recruit - Offer Grundy a 10 yr deal!
The best way to stop Grundy from getting his half-dozen 'WTF :shock: ' free kicks every match is to put him in an Essendon guernsey.
He's never going to take it - but it will scare the shit out of Collingwont!
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Wasn’t Paddy supposed to go to Queensland when he left us?

So he ends up going almost completely in the opposite direction!

If he still harboured desires to go North,he sure has a funny way of showing it.

Geography doesn’t seem to be his strongest point.Nor his choice of club since leaving us.

Powder and St Failure?Good career moves Paddy! :roll:
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

grassy1 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:16 pm Wasn’t Paddy supposed to go to Queensland when he left us?

So he ends up going almost completely in the opposite direction!

If he still harboured desires to go North,he sure has a funny way of showing it.

Geography doesn’t seem to be his strongest point.Nor his choice of club since leaving us.

Powder and St Failure?Good career moves Paddy! :roll:
He is after dosh, not premierships.

He will fit in well with Hanners.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Your theory sounds good,but didn’t the missus want them to go to Queensland?

They’re still not there.Go figure! :roll:
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

they should consider trying to mould james stewart into a ruckman. at 25 going on 26 i dont think he is going to make it as a KP forward. james stewart has great mobility and speed for a guy his size. i cant see how at very least he couldnt do better than zac clarke.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

DC2 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:33 am they should consider trying to mould james stewart into a ruckman. at 25 going on 26 i dont think he is going to make it as a KP forward. james stewart has great mobility and speed for a guy his size. i cant see how at very least he couldnt do better than zac clarke.
Good point
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Crazyman wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:42 am
DC2 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:33 am they should consider trying to mould james stewart into a ruckman. at 25 going on 26 i dont think he is going to make it as a KP forward. james stewart has great mobility and speed for a guy his size. i cant see how at very least he couldnt do better than zac clarke.
Good point
My deceased grandmother could do better than Zac Clarke - he's hardly a measuring stick, more an indictment.

Stewart like Smack will be too small for the monsters - it's at the clearances where we need someone.
And like Daniher and Fantasia, James Stewart has been cruelled by our poor medical and rehab. Hopefully, with the departure of Justin Crow, there will be some light on the hill.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Well we need to target the best available ruck with our first or second pick and commit long term to them.

Also use a rookie pick to pick up the best available mature age VFL/SANFL/WAFL ruck as insurance (I cannot believe that anyone thinks Clarke is as good as/better than any of these). The guy from Williamston dominated again this year and I don't care that he is 28, he was BOG in the Prelim final.

And the club needs to promise that they will play Draper (when back from rehab) before they select any "break glass in case of emergency" ruck.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

There’s always Zac’s Partner in crime,Lachlan De La Hunty!

Sandover Medallist after an Outstanding season,filled in for Zac’s absence,brilliantly! :wink: 8) :lol: