Skills???

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Re: Skills???

Post by Windy Hille »

DC2 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:25 am
Windy Hille wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:55 am
DC2 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:30 am fantasia should be asked if he is really wanting to go back home. he has one more left and if he does want to leave after next year we will be at the mercy of the 2 adelaide clubs. if essendon shop him now at least we have some leveredge knowing he still has 1 year left.
Another one of these hair brained ideas. Why on earth would we want to shop around a vice captain who has match winning abilities?

Rocks. In. Head

:roll:
he has said he wants to go back to adelaide at some point. why wait and get bent over a barrel. i would love to keep him but if players want out when their contract is up then there free to go. BTW the only person on this forum with rocks in their head is you thinking langford is a future A grade mid.
Ha ha ha nice try. If you’re going to quote me, you better provide the quote.

Besides your assertions, the last time I checked, I think he is going to play in the Elimination Final next week. You might be one of those dolts who thinks he isn’t good enough, but guess what, he’s best 22 whether you like it or not.

Now let’s not let the facts gets in the way of your bombastic comments, he is having his best season for output. He has improved (as you’d expect with more experience). He has kicked 15 goals 3 behinds this year - much better than any other mid we have.

In Langers we trust!
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

Windy Hille wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:36 pm
DC2 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:30 am fantasia should be asked if he is really wanting to go back home. he has one more left and if he does want to leave after next year we will be at the mercy of the 2 adelaide clubs. if essendon shop him now at least we have some leveredge knowing he still has 1 year left.
Another one of these hair brained ideas. Why on earth would we want to shop around a vice captain who has match winning abilities?

Rocks. In. Head

he has said he wants to go back to adelaide at some point. why wait and get bent over a barrel. i would love to keep him but if players want out when their contract is up then there free to go. BTW the only person on this forum with rocks in their head is you thinking langford is a future A grade mid.

Besides your assertions, the last time I checked, I think he is going to play in the Elimination Final next week. You might be one of those dolts who thinks he isn’t good enough, but guess what, he’s best 22 whether you like it or not.

Now let’s not let the facts gets in the way of your bombastic comments, he is having his best season for output. He has improved (as you’d expect with more experience). He has kicked 15 goals 3 behinds this year - much better than any other mid we have.

In Langers we trust!
im not going to dig around the archives just so i can get an exact quote. you clearly made the prediction he would be an A grade mid. everyone on this forum sees langfords clear deficiencies but you. maybe time to head to spec savers, get better seats at the game or have your tv fixed.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

DC2 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:34 am
Windy Hille wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:36 pm

Rocks. In. Head

In Langers we trust!
im not going to dig around the archives just so i can get an exact quote. you clearly made the prediction he would be an A grade mid. everyone on this forum sees langfords clear deficiencies but you. maybe time to head to spec savers, get better seats at the game or have your tv fixed.
That’s a pretty easy game to play.

Remember the time you said Conor McKenna was junk and that he would never make it? Said something along the lines that he should be shipped off back to Ireland?

I can’t be bothered digging it up, but you know you said it.

Now, as for my assessment on Langers...you must be dyslexic. Either that or you don’t know your alphabet. I said he was B grade. I know where I said that.

Start digging boy.
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

Windy Hille wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:30 am That’s a pretty easy game to play.

Remember the time you said Conor McKenna was junk and that he would never make it? Said something along the lines that he should be shipped off back to Ireland?

Now, as for my assessment on Langers...you must be dyslexic. Either that or you don’t know your alphabet. I said he was B grade. I know where I said that.

Start digging boy.
This is actually the second time you have made that statement about me trashing conor mckenna. find just one solitary post where i trashed mckenna. have never trashed mckenna once. i have barely typed his name on this forum and i dont post anywhere else. Like i said last time, you seem to be confusing me with someone else. I have always liked mckenna as a player. Youre just making things up.

Yes, I remember you said as of right *now* you rate him as a B grade mid, but your projections of what he will be are much more than that. You may not have actually typed "future A grade" but your posts and sentiments clearly indicate thats where you predict he'll be.
And thats the language i used "precited" which is clearly future tense.

So yes, you may be right in that you didnt specifically write "future A grade mid" but your posts clearly are saying that. I distinctly remember people on this forum laughing at your ridiculous prediction of Langford being the future captain. He wont be the future captain unless he progresses to being an A grade mid now will he?

Finding a quote like that didnt take long, so here it is just for you:
Windy Hille wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:02 amI would not be surprised if he ends up close to captaining the side in 5 - 7 years time.
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

s'dreams wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:44 pm But. They. Run. 18. Km. in. 100. minutes.
With all else that is going on in a game of AFL, the distance some players cover, tackle, mark and handball, its no wonder their skills have gone out the window. Their focus is shifting so quickly from one thing to the next and then there's the time factor. Yes its not the game it was, it is becoming so frenetic and into game Gil and his team want it to be. BIG ALFX and LITTLE AFLX. By that time Gil you will have lost me.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

DC2 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:57 am

Start digging boy.
This is actually the second time you have made that statement about me trashing conor mckenna. find just one solitary post where i trashed mckenna. have never trashed mckenna once. i have barely typed his name on this forum and i dont post anywhere else. Like i said last time, you seem to be confusing me with someone else. I have always liked mckenna as a player. Youre just making things up.

Yes, I remember you said as of right *now* you rate him as a B grade mid, but your projections of what he will be are much more than that. You may not have actually typed "future A grade" but your posts and sentiments clearly indicate thats where you predict he'll be.

So yes, you may be right in that you didnt specifically write "future A grade mid" but your posts clearly are saying that. I distinctly remember people on this forum laughing at your ridiculous prediction of Langford being the future captain. He wont be the future captain unless he progresses to being an A grade mid now will he?

Windy Hille wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:02 amI would not be surprised if he ends up close to captaining the side in 5 - 7 years time.
Hmmm....riggghhhhttt.

So I never actually said that. But you assert that’s what I meant because I predict he may be close to being captain in 5-7 years time. Okaaaaaaay.

Can I ask, why do you think he needs to progress to an A grade mid before being named captain??? Is Dyson Heppell A Grade?? If not, why is he captain (using your logic)???

Gary O’Donnell says hi by the way...
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Not wishing to derail a perfectly fine argument but let’s be clear on one thing Langford barely qualifies as C grade let alone B. Unless you are using a special Essendon context ranking as opposed to the general competition. In general Competition terms he is definitely not a B grade mid.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Windy Hille wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:44 am

Start digging boy.

Hmmm....riggghhhhttt.

So I never actually said that. But you assert that’s what I meant because I predict he may be close to being captain in 5-7 years time. Okaaaaaaay.

Can I ask, why do you think he needs to progress to an A grade mid before being named captain??? Is Dyson Heppell A Grade?? If not, why is he captain (using your logic)???

To reach B grade in my opinion he still needs a quantum leap in reaction time and the ability to impose himself aggressively on the contest. I'm not sure if a truly outstanding mid can acquire these over time, or whether it's part of their nature. But it doesn't seem to be part of Langers' nature. And yes, he does have his good days. It's seeing him suddenly flounder under pressure the next week that makes people think he's frustratingly INCONSISTENT and UNRELIABLE. And I'm not talking about one off day in 10 or 12 either. I'm not faulting his kicking unless he is under pressure, then its often clanger time with deadly certainty. Maybe he suffers from migraines or something and doesn't let on but sometimes he seems to get that blank, spaced-out look on his face and that's him for the day.
Oh and I do remember you saying he reminded you of a young Jobe and you wouldn't even be surprised if "he is AA one day" - (hence the mixup with "A grade" probably.)
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Rover99 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:01 pm
Windy Hille wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:44 am

Start digging boy.

Hmmm....riggghhhhttt.

To reach B grade in my opinion he still needs a quantum leap in reaction time and the ability to impose himself aggressively on the contest. I'm not sure if a truly outstanding mid can acquire these over time, or whether it's part of their nature. But it doesn't seem to be part of Langers' nature. And yes, he does have his good days. It's seeing him suddenly flounder under pressure the next week that makes people think he's frustratingly INCONSISTENT and UNRELIABLE. And I'm not talking about one off day in 10 or 12 either. I'm not faulting his kicking unless he is under pressure, then its often clanger time with deadly certainty. Maybe he suffers from migraines or something and doesn't let on but sometimes he seems to get that blank, spaced-out look on his face and that's him for the day.
Oh and I do remember you saying he reminded you of a young Jobe and you wouldn't even be surprised if "he is AA one day" - (hence the mixup with "A grade" probably.)
No, no I never said Langers would make AA. I said that about McKenna. I reckon Mac could easily make it.

Langers was being compared to Jobe’s journey insofar as to say Jobe struggled with his first 50 odd games where he was heavily criticised for a number of deficiencies - slow, poor kicking, poor shot for goal, always handballing etc. similar to Kyle.

Langers improvement is clear. Kicking 15 goals 3 is elite. Absolutely top notch. No denying that. His inside work is very good on most occasions. Still needs improvement of course.

Def B grade. Your C grades are the Dylan Clarke types.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Dylan Clarke C grade, Langford B? You're kidding right?

Dylan Clarke has jyst been nominated as a rising star. Already has 3 o 4 very significant scalps as a tagger over the last 8 games or so. His CV puts Langford's to shame in a third of the game time.

This is just getting silly now
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Maybe because Langers is expected to mature and grow another foot or so in the next twelve months he can become a full forward :-k
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

I'm not knocking his 15 goals and he is a good set shot as well as on the run and the ovcasional snap but you'll be saying he's in line for the Coleman next
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Windy_Hill wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:17 am Dylan Clarke C grade, Langford B? You're kidding right?

Dylan Clarke has jyst been nominated as a rising star. Already has 3 o 4 very significant scalps as a tagger over the last 8 games or so. His CV puts Langford's to shame in a third of the game time.

So you think D. Clarke is B Grade and Langers is C? And that D. Clarke has a better CV??

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I’ll keep it real...

Comparison between Kyle and Jobe at the end of season aged 22:

Jobe Watson
Games: 53
Goals: 20 (14 behinds)
Disposals: 1057 (456 kicks, 601 handballs)
Tackles: 154
Contested possessions: 447

Kyle Langford
Games: 64
Goals: 43 (25 behinds)
Disposals: 993 (529 kicks, 464 handballs)
Tackles: 230
Contested possessions: 374

Good set of numbers in comparison. They wear the same number, they are the same height, the same build, and have a similar style.

What rank was Jobe age 22? B Grade or C Grade?? Is Dylan Clarke’s CV better than Jobe’s aged 22????

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

The Great Windy Debate is up and running again.Ha ha ha ha ha,....wait a tic!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:wink:
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Windy Hille wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:50 am
Windy_Hill wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:17 am Dylan Clarke C grade, Langford B? You're kidding right?

So you think D. Clarke is B Grade and Langers is C? And that D. Clarke has a better CV
Where did I say that Sherlock? I didn’t. At least have the decency to acknowledge that. But seeing as you asked in your typical girlish shrill, yeah, Clarke has shown more in a handful of games than Langford has in 5 years. Any idiot can see that.

You’re argument is so utterly flawed. You keep persisting with the Jobe comparison which is cherry picking at its best. Just because 1 guy who started his career slowly and then went on to make it in the game doesn’t mean every player with similarly unimpressive stats will do the same. I can’t be arsed looking up the stats but what if Langford’s are similar to Lovett-Murray or Mark Bolton or Courtney Dempsey or Marc Bullen or Shane Harvey or one of dozens of players who after the first part of their careers never really amounted to much. Why aren’t you comparing Langford to them. No...you take a bog average player like Langford and assume because 1 player in a hundred overcame a slow start to his career to become a star of the game, he will as well. It’s plain dumb logic. At least Laverde can blame injuries.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Windy_Hill wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:39 pm
Windy Hille wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:50 am

So you think D. Clarke is B Grade and Langers is C? And that D. Clarke has a better CV
Where did I say that Sherlock? I didn’t. At least have the decency to acknowledge that. But seeing as you asked in your typical girlish shrill, yeah, Clarke has shown more in a handful of games than Langford has in 5 years. Any idiot can see that.
:lol:

You really do provide a lot of comic relief around here.

So how else do you deduce your scoff “D. Clarke C Grade, Langford B Grade. You’re kidding right?”

You either scoff that D. Clarke is better than C Grade - because you follow up that he “has a better CV” than Langford, therefore, dropping Langers down a cog.

They both can’t be on the same rating because you clearly state that Clarke’s CV “puts Langers to shame”. Yes? YES?? YESSSSSSSS???
You’re argument is so utterly flawed.
Is it? Why?? Just because you disagree with it. Or most likely, don’t understand it, doesn’t mean it’s flawed. It’s pretty simple really. Unless, you’re simple yourself...

You keep persisting with the Jobe comparison which is cherry picking at its best. Just because 1 guy who started his career slowly and then went on to make it in the game doesn’t mean every player with similarly unimpressive stats will do the same.
Yeah, I’m not sure why I would compare 2 players with the same height, build, physical attributes, playing position, and similar stats. What was I thinking??? I should have compared Langers with Tristan Cartledge, or perhaps Ariel Steinberg

:-k
I can’t be arsed looking up the stats
Of course you can’t. Because you’re lazy. Just like your arguments. Clumsy, and laaaaazy.
but what if Langford’s are similar to Lovett-Murray or Mark Bolton or Courtney Dempsey or Marc Bullen or Shane Harvey or one of dozens of players who after the first part of their careers never really amounted to much. Why aren’t you comparing Langford to them.
Hmmm...yeaaaahhhhh. Let’s compare players in different positions and different physical attributes. Awesome idea! The stats will be all over the place. Just what we want to see!!

Never mind that both Jobe and Kyle started off as forwards who moved into the middle - as inside mids.

But yeah...let’s look at how Tristan Cartledge went with contested possessions and goal kicking stuff compared to Kylos.
No...you take a bog average player like Langford and assume because 1 player in a hundred overcame a slow start to his career to become a star of the game, he will as well. It’s plain dumb logic. At least Laverde can blame injuries.
Yeaaaahhhh.

No point pointing out that at this stage in his career is that he’s tracking along the same form line as Jobe. It’s a valid comparison and a valid point. I think even the most imbecilic individual could admit that.

You might be surprised at at the end of next season, he is still on par with Jobe at age 23. So it will show that his career is heading in the right direction. Make any sense to you? Or you still struggling with the C grade B grade ratings???

:lol:
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

However much this argument is pointless because it's pure opinion, I'm enjoying the argument and counter argument.
Just one thing.... can you do away with the name-calling and abuse?
Yes, we're all adults, but that's just childish. Cheers.
Carry on........
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Trouble in paradise for Windy & Windy :lol:
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I never actually said Clarke is C grade and Langford is B....you did. And yes, of course I scoffed at that. Run a survey dude and let’s see how many people actually agree with

1. Langford is a B grade AFL Mid
2. Langford is better than Clarke (either currently or at the same stage of their respective careers)

As for the Jobe comparisons, you just made it worse for yourself. Now you are saying because they have the same physical attributes and, ridiculously, the same number, then the comparison is valid. The fact that Jobe became a star does not then mean Langford will as well. You see, this is where you keep stumbling. Forget the comparison and evaluate Langford on his own performance. He simply has not improved over 5 years. Just because Jobe, of a similar build and number did evolve Into a star does not predict Langford’s future...yes, it could happen, but odds are it won’t.

My point, whic you so readily dismiss is that you conveniently use Watson as a barometer to validate Langford’s lack of progress. You have selected perhaps the one player in the last 15 years who has defied a poor start to his career to support your case yet ignore the dozens of players, similar players who failed.

Do your survey buddy and when it comes back overwhelmingly confirming my opinion that Langford is NOT a B grade Mid then we’ll pick up the discussion then.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Jesus, Langford is actually going backwards

G. K. HB. D. M. G. B. T
2019 17 9.0 8.6 17.6 3.5 0.9 0.2 3.3
2018 16 10.5 7.4 17.9 4.0 0.6 0.5 4.9

(You see I am not so lazy to look up the stats)

Like I and most others are saying....the guy is treading water

What the stats don’t show is his poor decision making, lack of pressure (ave 3.3 tackles this season as your so called big bodies mid) and fumbling of the ball.

He is a decent shot on goal but hardly elite as you put it in terms of goal scoring. Less than 1 goal a game.

A player who in his 5th year as a midfielder averaging less than 18 possessions a game and now going backwards.......

Dylan Clarke on the other hand in his 11 games this season playing mainly as a run with player averages just under 16 possessions a game vs Langford’s 17.6. Damningly however, he averages over 6 tackles a game playing inside mid vs Langford’s 3.3. And in 2019, Clarke averaged 2.5 clearances to Langford’s 2.1. Clarke was nominated for the AFL Rising Star and was ranked as follows amongst other Rising Star nominees

● 4th among rising stars in Total Tackles in 2019 ● 3rd among rising stars in Total Centre Clearances in 2019
● 1st among rising stars in Tackles Per Game in 2019