Essendon A Long Way off the Pace

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Essendon A Long Way off the Pace

Post by Windy_Hill » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:55 pm

Richmond were outstanding in today's GF. And this wasnt simply a case of the opposition not being good enough. They just never gave the Giants a chance with their relentless pressure and non stop running.

Forget Rutten, Caracella and Dan Richardson...we should have headhunted whoever is in charge of the Tigers'fitness program.

Apart from their big 4, Reiwoldt, Cotchin, Martin and Lynch (5 if you look ahead to Rance's return to the side) Richmond has a squad that is not littered with guns but rather honest hard workers who get the job done, week in, week out. They never stop working for each other and their pressure efforts are outstanding. In Richmond, you have the best "good team" we have seen for a long time. They do not possess the overwhelming talent of the great Hawthorn and Geelong teams of recent times yet manage to bring the game under their terms. Why do I mention this, because it is everything Essendon is not.

Essendon has arguably a deeper squad of so called name players yet we do not have the balance of squad depth that Richmond has. we certainly do not have the level of committment and hard work.

Richmond's efforts turn ok players into great players as they are able to capitalise on the hard work of their team mates.

If nothing else, I bloody hope our team sat and watched what is needed to be a great team. Its not flashy clearances off the backline followed by a meaningless long bomb in hope. Its running in numbers, chasing, tackling, smothering, spoiling and backing up your team mate. Not just for a quarter but for every minute of every game.

I cannot think of a 4 quarter effort by the Bombers this year apart from maybe the first game against North...but even their it was the one off brilliance of an individual in AMT that really won us the day. We just dont play with any guts and clearly lack the physical conditioning to run with the very good teams for more than a quarter or two.

We are nowhere near a flag based on the level of gameplay needed to win the big one. This has been shown time and time again as we fail to perform in finals. The player performance side of our football program is a mess and lets hope it will be addressed urgently

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Re: Essendon A Long Way off the Pace

Post by MH_Bomber » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:03 pm

The main advantage the Richmond football club have over the other teams is apparently holding the ball is a rule that doesnt apply to them. They can throw it, push in the back, drop the ball in the TACKLE, be turned 720 degrees and drop the pill and still are never pinged.

I dare say a number of teams would play like world beaters if the actual rules of the game are not applied to them.

What is worse the more successful they are the more biased the umpiring is for them. It's like a relentless vortex of onesideness.
Regards

MH_Bomber

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:33 pm

MH_Bomber wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:03 pm
The main advantage the Richmond football club have over the other teams is apparently holding the ball is a rule that doesnt apply to them. They can throw it, push in the back, drop the ball in the TACKLE, be turned 720 degrees and drop the pill and still are never pinged.

I dare say a number of teams would play like world beaters if the actual rules of the game are not applied to them.

What is worse the more successful they are the more biased the umpiring is for them. It's like a relentless vortex of onesideness.
wow you really are salty when it comes to Richmond. But just out of interest, are there any points in my post you want to comment on

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:37 pm

Apart from their big 4, Reiwoldt, Cotchin, Martin and Lynch (5 if you look ahead to Rance's return to the side) Richmond has a squad that is not littered with guns but rather honest hard workers who get the job done, week in, week out. They never stop working for each other and their pressure efforts are outstanding. In Richmond, you have the best "good team" we have seen for a long time. They do not possess the overwhelming talent of the great Hawthorn and Geelong teams of recent times yet manage to bring the game under their terms. Why do I mention this, because it is everything Essendon is not.
In addition to the 5 you mention
* Cotchin is the recipient of a Brownlow
* Apart from Martin - Houli, Grimes and Prestia made the AA squad this year (Houli and Grimes made the team)
* Caddy was strongly chased by us but we balked at trading Hurley for him
* Brandon Ellis is going to the Gold Coast next year on a salary of $550K on a 5 year deal - not what you would expect for a no-name player

I understand that you are saying that the Richmond team works hard and digs deep, but don't overlook the fact that they have some serious talent that runs deep. I'd take Rioli or Solodo in a heat beat.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:07 pm

Boo hoo hoo MH!

If it wasn’t Richmond or us,just who did you have in mind for the flag?

GWS?The Filth?The Budgies?The Pussies?Who?!

Wally
Top Up Player

Post by Wally » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:33 am

Richmond have outstanding leadership. Off field and particularly on field. Their Senior players set the expectations early and step up when required. There is no compromise with them. Every single player knows their role and they follow it to the letter

We have the arguably the worst on field leadership in the competition.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:30 am

Wally wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:33 am
Richmond have outstanding leadership. Off field and particularly on field. Their Senior players set the expectations early and step up when required. There is no compromise with them. Every single player knows their role and they follow it to the letter

We have the arguably the worst on field leadership in the competition.
Plain as day!

Stunning leadership at Tigerland. And it is throughout the whole club!

Think back 4 years ago, and media speculation was having a dig at Trent Cotchin’s leadership! He shouldn’t be skipper, it should be Dusty or Jack blah blah blah

Had a crack at Dimma! He’s been there many years, can’t win a final, missed out this year, reckons he “has the list” ha ha ha, and blah blah blah

Trent Cotchin dual premiership captain. Damien Hardwick dual premiership coach.

And they did this without the best defender in the 21st century! Not to mention other injuries they sustained throughout the year.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:59 am

Why doesn't everyone just go barrack for Richmond then?

They are so fantastic arent they. Why bother being a Bombers supporter?

In fact why being a supporter of any other club other than Richmond? We could do away with the home and away season and have a Richmond A vs Richmond B grand final.

Then we could all stand around and say these stock phrases than we have heard ad infinitum over the finals series;

"Go Tiges" , "Its Tiger time", "Go Dusty"

Sorry them winning again is really annoying and their supporters are unbearably arrogant.

I will support our club over the 'yellow and black' until the day I die.
Regards

MH_Bomber

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:05 am

YELLOW & BLACK

💛🖤💛🖤💛🖤

:lol:

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:20 am

No MH,I still don’t barrack for Them.but I respect them and their History!"

And I thank them and Tommy for Sheeds and the Culture change he brought us,plus Success!

4 Premierships
6 Night Flags
3 Reserve Flags
1 Centenary Lightning Flag

Things got a bit thin after 2000,but I thank him all the same!

As for Richmond,I thank them for all the times they battered and bruised the Filth and scum,time and again,keeping those bastards off the Podium at the business end of the season.

Then it was our turn after 1982/93,barring a few hiccups notably ‘83 and ‘90.Battering and Bruising all manner of opposition for just under 2 Decades!Pity we couldn’t quite go all the way with the battering and bruising like say Oakland Raiders at their Meanest and Nastiest best(or worst),but that might have taken things too far for our shores!

But now I thank Richmond again,for keeping the raving loony Crows(except Don Pyke)out of the picture,as well as the AWFULL Love Child,GWS!

Slap on the wrist for last year’s slip up,but I forgave them pretty quickly,jokingly trying to Double Forfeit last tear’s Grand Finallists and giving the Flag to the 3rd Placegetter,....

Richmond!

No Grand Final?No matter,it worked for us twice! :lol:
Last edited by grassy1 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:22 am

Those sentiments and colours are just horrible. :x :roll: [-X

Go Bombers !!!

🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤

Now that's much better. :wink:
Regards

MH_Bomber

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:26 am

I put Richmond in the same category as Carlton and Collingwood and I hate them all equally. This weekend I think I hate Richmond even more than the other two.
Regards

MH_Bomber

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:33 am

MH_Bomber wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:26 am
I put Richmond in the same category as Carlton and Collingwood and I hate them all equally. This weekend I think I hate Richmond even more than the other two.
Yes,fair enough.

But who would you rather have Win a Flag?Them,the Filth or Scum,if we needed Richmond to keep those 2 off the podium?!

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:05 pm

Article from last week...
Houli’s Tiger time makes mockery of Dons decision

A disgruntled Bachar Houli couldn’t get a game in 2010. The Bombers couldn’t agree on a trade with Richmond at the end of a 5 game season and let the 22 year old walk into the pre-season draft where the Tigers picked him up for free.

It is a recruiting decision that now looks being one of the steals of the century.

In 9 years at Punt Rd, Houli has played 180 games and as played in 20 or more matches in all but 2 seasons.

He was stiff not to win the Norm Smith Medal in 2017 after he starred with 25 disposals and a goal in the win over Adelaide. That honour went to Dustin Martin, despite both Richmond coach Damien Hardwick and Crows counterpart Don Pyke agreeing Houli was the best player on the ground.

At age 31, Houli has become All Australian for the first time.

Houli, 31, finished as the third highest ranked player on the ground by Champion Data in Friday night’s preliminary final against Geelong, behind only teammates Dion Prestia and Tom Lynch.

He gathered a game high 32 disposals, a game high 11 marks , had the most rebound 50’s (nine) and the 4th most metres gained (585m).

The performance came just eight days after Houli signed a new one year deal with the Tigers for 2020. It has been a case of one year at a time for the defender for the past 3 years and he continues to prove the doubters wrong as he ages like fine wine.

“In our 3 elimination finals that we lost those years (2013-15) he was by far our best performed player,” Hardwick said on Friday night. “He just is a remarkable player. We keep giving him one year contracts he’s not too happy about. But he’s just become an incredible Richmond player.
Yesterday, he was 2nd best on ground again.

Well done Bombers =D>

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:28 pm

Yeah,he’s been real stiff not getting the Norm Smith Medal,twice now!

I’m sure he’s got Life Membership once or twice already,but I Hope he racks up 200 games for Richmond.He Certainly deserves such an Honour!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:42 pm

Re: Houli

I was watching Foxtel pre game coverage and that had this silly segment Bartlett and Sheedy playfully ribbing each other. Bartlett bought up Houli and Sheedy point blank said it was Hird who influenced him leaving us for “the Tiges”.
Regards

MH_Bomber

hop
Club Captain

Post by hop » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:47 pm

MH_Bomber wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:26 am
Hey!!!!!

Don't forget Hawthorn!
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:51 pm

For better opportunities no doubt,if he wasn’t getting them here.

For some reason,I seem to remember KB telling the story about him wanting to leave Richmond for Collingwood at the end of ‘79.

Collingwood Coach, Tommy Hafey talked him out of it and the rest as they say is History!

That doesn’t really tie in with Bachar’s story,but I thought I’d bring it up!

Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:29 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:05 pm
Article from last week...
Houli’s Tiger time makes mockery of Dons decision

A disgruntled Bachar Houli couldn’t get a game in 2010. The Bombers couldn’t agree on a trade with Richmond at the end of a 5 game season and let the 22 year old walk into the pre-season draft where the Tigers picked him up for free.

It is a recruiting decision that now looks being one of the steals of the century.

In 9 years at Punt Rd, Houli has played 180 games and as played in 20 or more matches in all but 2 seasons.

He was stiff not to win the Norm Smith Medal in 2017 after he starred with 25 disposals and a goal in the win over Adelaide. That honour went to Dustin Martin, despite both Richmond coach Damien Hardwick and Crows counterpart Don Pyke agreeing Houli was the best player on the ground.

At age 31, Houli has become All Australian for the first time.

Houli, 31, finished as the third highest ranked player on the ground by Champion Data in Friday night’s preliminary final against Geelong, behind only teammates Dion Prestia and Tom Lynch.

He gathered a game high 32 disposals, a game high 11 marks , had the most rebound 50’s (nine) and the 4th most metres gained (585m).

The performance came just eight days after Houli signed a new one year deal with the Tigers for 2020. It has been a case of one year at a time for the defender for the past 3 years and he continues to prove the doubters wrong as he ages like fine wine.

“In our 3 elimination finals that we lost those years (2013-15) he was by far our best performed player,” Hardwick said on Friday night. “He just is a remarkable player. We keep giving him one year contracts he’s not too happy about. But he’s just become an incredible Richmond player.
Yesterday, he was 2nd best on ground again.

Well done Bombers =D>
Let's not forget that we opted for matthew Knight(mare)s to coach us in preference to Dimma Hardwick. Dimma was "one of us" FFS ](*,) :roll: :roll:
I believe Peter Jackson had his fingerprints over this.

Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:52 pm

It was plainly obvious from yesterday that ALL OVER THE GROUND DEFENSIVE PRESSURE is how finals are won. That's one area we have to dramatically have to improve.
Such things as blocking all avenues for opponents to switch play from the back line.
Having a goal keeper at all stoppages in our back half.
Force turnovers by manning up.
No more dinky kicks or handballs to people in a worse position. Move the ball QUICKLY.

Our forward line pressure has to raised to elite level. Far to often the ball comes out as quickly as it goes in. We must fight like crazy to keep the ball in our forward 50 until we goal. Players like Fantasia & Daniher, although fine offensive players, must elevate their defensive pressure to a new level.

As mentioned elsewhere our "on field leadership" is ordinary at best. Get some mongrel you guys or get out.