Which Three Players Do You Hope Will Emerge as Best 22 in 2020

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Which Three Players Do You Hope Will Emerge as Best 22 in 2020

Post by Windy_Hill »

Given the lack of incoming quality following last years draft and trade period, I suspect we will need to find at least three players who will transition from peripheral squad player to regular first teamer. Who are your three hopefuls? ( not including returning injured players who are already established best 22)

1). Kobe Mutch - has shown glimpses in the VFL but seems to breakdown whenever he has had a chance in the AFL. A couple of years ago he was tearing it up in the ressies. Hopefully a breakout season.

2). Brandon Zerk-Thatcher. - with Hooker and Hurley approaching retirement age, it’s criticla that BZT emerges as a capable long term replacement for one of these two players. Debuted in 2019 so should be seeing a little more game time in 2020. Could be important if either Hooker or Hurley are forced to play forward with question marks on Daniher and Stewart

3). Josh Begley - from all reports has really trimmed down over the summer. 2019 can be forgiven due to his return from a serious knee injury. A trimmer, fitter Begley could be a great counterpoint to Jake Stringer. We need his aggression and competitiveness.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Which Three Players Do You Hope Will Emerge as Best 22 in 2020

Post by BenDoolan »

1). B. Zerk-Thatcher - He has the goods. Should have played more games than he has. Should play a lot more this season. Good player.

2). Irving Mosquito - let him loose! Give him games and he will dazzle. If Razz leaves, we’ll have the Matazz.

3). Sam Draper - play him immediately when available. And then leave him there.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Fact is, we are a squad of question marks. You could probably mount a case for a dozen players who could step up, should step up...but then again, .....We Are Essendon

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Moz, Draper and Ridley or if you mean as yet untried, BZT. Thats just a wish list of course.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Any chance Kobe Mutch can actually grow some muscles? Built like a f****** pretzel that boy pretzel 🥨

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 »

Windy_Hill wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:20 pm
Fact is, we are a squad of question marks. You could probably mount a case for a dozen players who could step up, should step up...but then again, .....We Are Essendon
THIS ^^
I want these blokes to be serious contenders for regular games and to burn it up when they get a chance.... Begley, Laverde, Snelling, Cutler, Townsend, Mutch, Zerk-Thatcher, Dylan Clarke, Draper, Stewart.

OMG!! - just checked the list on our Club website... some of our recruits are pictured with other club jumpers on!! FFS!! Can no-one at the Club use image editing tools???

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:46 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:20 pm
THIS ^^
I want these blokes to be serious contenders for regular games and to burn it up when they get a chance.... Begley, Laverde, Snelling, Cutler, Townsend, Mutch, Zerk-Thatcher, Dylan Clarke, Draper, Stewart.

OMG!! - just checked the list on our Club website... some of our recruits are pictured with other club jumpers on!! FFS!! Can no-one at the Club use image editing tools???
You’re kidding, right? That requires someone to have some intelligence and talent at the club.

mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

The players I would like to see graduate and take the next big step - Parish, Laverde and Langford.

We need to forget about JoeDan allow him to get on the his rehab and if he comes good and can play great - we need to cut our drip line to JoeDan as a player until such time as it can be sorted one way or the other.

Before we go off half cocked looking for a forward to fill JoeDan's space, once upon a time, Tommy Bell used to be quite a good and accurate kick for goal so until we manage to recruit some else in the forward line, give Tommy a go and see what he can do.

I think this year might be a year of reconciliation for us as a team, new coaches, priming game plan, learning to connect, co-operate and become a united team. Let's hope so.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Hird, Fletcher, Lloyd...

Sorry, was expecting them to come out of retirement and displace half our list...

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Not a bad idea,though Lloydie might be his own harshest critic! :lol:

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

mdso wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:32 am
The players I would like to see graduate and take the next big step - Parish, Laverde and Langford.

We need to forget about JoeDan allow him to get on the his rehab and if he comes good and can play great - we need to cut our drip line to JoeDan as a player until such time as it can be sorted one way or the other.

Before we go off half cocked looking for a forward to fill JoeDan's space, once upon a time, Tommy Bell used to be quite a good and accurate kick for goal so until we manage to recruit some else in the forward line, give Tommy a go and see what he can do.

I think this year might be a year of reconciliation for us as a team, new coaches, priming game plan, learning to connect, co-operate and become a united team. Let's hope so.
Surely this season will be Langford and Laverde's last chance to redeem themselves or make way for real talent

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I have certainly been one of Langford’s harshest critics over his 5 years of substandard development and performance. If he is to make it he needs to be given a very singular and clear role to perform. His greatest issue is a lack of a genuine football brain to make up for his physical constraints. He needs to be trained exclusively in getting the ball in contested situations and dishing it off with clinical purpose. Instead he is played at half forward where to his credit he does convert opportunities or tossed into the midfield as a utility type player. He should be a tackling machine with the sole intent of disrupting opposition clearances whilst creating openings himself.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Windy_Hill wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:31 pm
I have certainly been one of Langford’s harshest critics over his 5 years of substandard development and performance. If he is to make it he needs to be given a very singular and clear role to perform. His greatest issue is a lack of a genuine football brain to make up for his physical constraints. He needs to be trained exclusively in getting the ball in contested situations and dishing it off with clinical purpose. Instead he is played at half forward where to his credit he does convert opportunities or tossed into the midfield as a utility type player. He should be a tackling machine with the sole intent of disrupting opposition clearances whilst creating openings himself.
Yep well said. Trained lile a Border Collie in a sheep drafting competition - but your analysis doesnt really give me any hope because a footy brain is what we need in EVERY player if we are to have any hope of getting a top 4 place.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rover99 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:38 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:
Yep well said. Trained lile a Border Collie in a sheep drafting competition - but your analysis doesnt really give me any hope because a footy brain is what we need in EVERY player if we are to have any hope of getting a top 4 place.
LOL, you guys talk like our list has any sort of brains or skill. The list is full of shit. Like Hardwick said back in 2006.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

BenDoolan wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:28 am
Rover99 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:38 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:
LOL, you guys talk like our list has any sort of brains or skill. The list is full of shit. Like Hardwick said back in 2006.
We can dream.... :D

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

So we rely on Dimma and Co,to keep the weaglebastards,the filth and greatwankingsydney and others at Bay for another year,then?

Sorry about that,MH! :wink: :lol:

mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

I agree some of our players have had plenty of time to get it together, if we are to succeed then those who have the power and fail to use it, need to now abuse it, some of our players have this year to prove themselves or get packing. Also, others are ready to step down so others can step up and take their places. As a club our mediocrity is our measured by our desire to be seen as good guys - we must become ruthless if we are to move forward and succeed. Dimma was right, we needed to trim our list. We didn't and still haven't. Last chance 2020.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

I wanna see Clark get a regular gig, mostly as an inside mid ball extractor. He's a determined chap that might benefit from a good run at it.
Parish, next level please.
Shiel, 80% conversion rate minimum. Clearly already best 22, but I'd expect him to be better.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Brayden Ham listed as our best hope for players under 21. Shit!

Source: Herald-Sun 28/01/20

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:01 pm
Brayden Ham listed as our best hope for players under 21. Shit!

Source: Herald-Sun 28/01/20
This takes me back to the days where Filthy said Will Ham was our next big hope!