Rd 3 Tactics

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
joles123
Top Up Player

Rd 3 Tactics

Post by joles123 »

There seems to be a lot of belief that we will beat the Blues and I think we can but I hope the players arent thinking it will be an easy win as they always seem to beat us when we go in as favorites. On papaer we should win but the only threat I see in the game is Fev kicking a bag and maybe Whitnall. Fev loves giving us headaches and he's the main concern. I dont like Michael on Fev, I think Fev is too quick for him off the mark. Who do you think should line up on him instead? Is Fletch better?

I think its as simple as restricting Fev to less than 4 goals and we should win easily unless Whitnall decides to run into form in which players out of form always seem to find form against us.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

We must get on top of them early and play our style of football.

Otherwise they'll drag us down to their level and we'll be sucked into playing a scrap contest which inevitably they will win like they always have.

we should be fine though.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Michael on Whitnall and either Fletch or McPhee on Fevola.

The team seems to have alot of belief in themselves this year which will be important against a side that has had the wood over us for some time.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

McPhee on Fev for sure, fast and will attack all day long
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

McPhee's main issue is that he zones off his man a little too much and gets hurt on the rebound. We need someone to essentially blanket Fevola and completely shut him out of the game.

If Whitnall plays in the backline, we shut down Fevola and keep Waite quiet and suddenly Carlton will be totally reliant on their midfield.

We'll need to get on the board early to dictate the tone of the match and make Carlton play on our terms. If we get on top early, we can essentially dictate where guys like Whitnall play (since he'll have to be used to stop our forwards rather than providing an option in his own forward line).

I'm looking forward to the midfield clash with their young players against our young lads. Murphy and Gibbs up against guys like Monfries, Winderlich, Jetta, Lovett and Davey... should be an interesting contest in the middle.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

hope we make them worry about us in the midfeild.
only tag i want to see is McVeigh shutdown Nick Stevens like he did on Bell last.

otherwise they should try and shut us down imo
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I'm hoping for a shootout which would give Carlton no chance. In this situation even if they kick 17-18 goals we could probably get 25 or so.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Yes, I think the shootout idea is good. Otherwise, they will drag us down to their level like they have SO many times before!
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

McVeigh tag Stevens.
Mcphee and Fletch take Fev 1/2 each unless we getting smashed Fletch take him.
Run the the middle with Lovett and Winders.
Quick kickin's and straight to Lucas and Lloyd (There defence will struggle).
Play on at all times.

Should win by 30+ points.
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Why am I getting very nervous reading all this? :shock:
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Probably because it is so optimistic which we usually are before we play Carlton...
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Make no mistake...we will struggle on the weekend if there is even an ounce of complacency.

Carlton are not a bad side.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Get first hands on it in the middle, and move the ball quickly to our forwards. If we do that, we will stretch them. They were stretched by a couple of 18/19 year olds last week, let alone Lucas and Lloyd.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Thighs on Fev
Fletcher on Witnall
Ryder on Waite

If we shut down Stevens, we will give them a raping. Probably rotate Heff/Pev/Slatts on him.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

Thighs on Fev
Fletcher on Witnall
Ryder on Waite

If we shut down Stevens, we will give them a raping. Probably rotate Heff/Pev/Slatts on him.
Good match ups...they seem the likely choices all round.

But I dont think Fatnall will line up at forward. But I hope he does. Fletch can run off him all day.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

For some reason i'm worried about Eddie Betts, who i remember last time we played them kicked two goals at the end to help them get away with a draw.
He's the kind of player that can generate a burst of goals and who may be hard to match up on - ie would it be McVeigh? Slatts? M.Johnson?

We've gotta look out for these kind of unsung players in their side.

Another is Jarrod Waite, who could bob up in their forward line and is a gun athlete who may be hard to match up on - maybe a good job for Ryder?
"your'e like a girl standing out the front of a chemist…..Too scared to go in and get the pill!"
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Slats could do the job on Betts type player. I think they have a little more to worry about with Lovett, Davey and Jetta. Not to mention to speed of Licha and Dyson is he comes into the side.

Last time we had Solly who gave away a stupid free kick to end the game in a draw.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

MJ gets Betts. The kid wont know what hit him and MJ has been very disciplined down back this year!
joles123
Top Up Player

Post by joles123 »

I hate when im right! :(
i said i didnt like michael on fev
i said we would win if fev had less than 4 goals