Headland / Selwood - Both Free To Play

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:Insults that have a basis in truth are the only insults that should be deemed unnacceptable.

Insults that are fantastical, ridiculous or just plain childish should not be condoned but frankly, in this context should not be taken seriously either.

Selwood is a knob for saying what he said but frankly, his remark is no more offensive than any other puerile sexual comment aimed at a family member of any age.

Unless the comment is true, of course.

To suspend Selwood for this comment gives every player the perfect defence for any striking charge. It will create a precedent that cannot be good
I think you're forgetting the emotional factor in all of this. It's OK for us to talk about this with no emotion because it wasn't our 6 year old daughter that was being suggested having been subjected to sexual penetration whether real or not.
dingus
Regular Senior Player

Post by dingus »

tom9779 wrote:so dingus,

headland genuinely thought that Selwood had sex with his 6 year old daughter?

give me a break.

its so ridiculous its laughable....
How do I know what he thinks Selwood has or hasn't done, and what difference does it make? It's a stupid f****** thing to say. You don't joke about raping children. Anyone who does is a sick f***, and deserves censure for their actions.

My point, which I thought clear, was that there are lengths to which sledging should not go. That's all.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

In my footy playing days many, many centuries ago on a planet far, far, away. Our coach taught us not to react to any stirring by opposition players. I used to be a fiery bugger (on-field) and found it impossible to just ignore it. So I'd totally get sucked in and let my concentration drop and either biff the guy or get dragged to the bench.

Towards the end of my playing days, I actually got good at ignoring it and my game improved. I became the king of doing the silent treatment thing. Wouldn't say a word. Most of the time it began to freak opponents out. Blokes would start talking to themselves instead which was rather funny...

Here's my long-winded point. Watching Setanta on Lloydie on Saturday, I couldn't help but think about this. The Headland case aside, Lloydie got sucked in and I reckon his game went downhill from there.

My question is this. Do AFL coaches/players follow this practice these days or does the modern game demand retribution/sledging? :wink:
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Stocksy wrote:Your getting way off track with it Bomberdonnie...

1 - Its still only alledged that was what was said

2 - It was said in very bad taste, it didnt really happen. (As Tom said, you cant tell me Des really thinks Adam has been with his daughter).

3 - This should have been all left on the field, like Maka said above. Now it has just become a media circus and is being blown out of all proportion...
I dont see where or how

Seriously who gives a f*** about it being OK because it is stupid to think that it happened?? It is his f****** daughter and Selwood deserves to be knocked out for what he said and frankly if Headland didnt react to such comments I would be questioning his love for his own child!!
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

dingus wrote:
tom9779 wrote:so dingus,

headland genuinely thought that Selwood had sex with his 6 year old daughter?

give me a break.

its so ridiculous its laughable....
How do I know what he thinks Selwood has or hasn't done, and what difference does it make? It's a stupid f****** thing to say. You don't joke about raping children. Anyone who does is a sick f***, and deserves censure for their actions.

My point, which I thought clear, was that there are lengths to which sledging should not go. That's all.
i don't think selwood was trying to make headland laugh.

but yes it was ridiculous.

a measured response to the effect of 'selwood, your an idiot' would have sufficed.
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Post by Stocksy »

bomberdonnie wrote:

2 - It was said in very bad taste, it didnt really happen. (As Tom said, you cant tell me Des really thinks Adam has been with his daughter).

3 - This should have been all left on the field, like Maka said above. Now it has just become a media circus and is being blown out of all proportion...
I dont see where or how

Seriously who gives a f*** about it being OK because it is stupid to think that it happened?? It is his f****** daughter and Selwood deserves to be knocked out for what he said and frankly if Headland didnt react to such comments I would be questioning his love for his own child!!
Because you are carrying on as if he has just raped his daughter, what was said was in very poor taste, dont think he will be making that mistake again. They were words chosen poorly said in the heat of the moment, build a bridge and move on.
Here's to swimming with bow legged women...
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Post by Stocksy »

bomberdonnie wrote:

I dont see where or how

Because you are carrying on as if he has just raped his daughter, what was said was in very poor taste, dont think he will be making that mistake again. They were words chosen poorly said in the heat of the moment, build a bridge and move on.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Megan wrote:Tom, should Sheeds have told Longy to harden the f*** up instead of grizzling about being racially taunted?

You say all sorts of shit on the paddock to get a rise - to call Longy anything racist doesn't mean the player SAYING it IS racist, but that they knew they'd get a rise.

So I assume you have no problem with racist comments on the paddock as long as they stay there?
I think comments about some blokes tattoo is a lot different to a racist slur. for one you can't choose your race.

but c'mon how is it different to a slur about shagging someones mum(should be a crime i reckon), or any other remark.

it is only words.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Stocksy wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:

I dont see where or how

No I'm not mate I am carrying on like he insinuated that he raped his daughter
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Post by Stocksy »

Yeah Right, So you are of the opinion he has had a crack at his daughter are you ???
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Stocksy wrote:Yeah Right, So you are of the opinion he has had a crack at his daughter are you ???
jorayme
Top Up Player

Hedland/Selwood

Post by jorayme »

I think Des might have gone over the top a bit, but in the heat of the moment I would have also reacted in the same way if anyone cast a slur on my daughter. As someone else said their is a line and if the reports are true he crossed it. Besides that if true and Des didn't try to take him out he would deserve more than six weeks. As a father name calling would not worry me if directed at myself but to sledge my daughter with gutter talk would fire me up also.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Now Adam Selwood is free to say what he likes on the footy field and nobody can stop him. But he should also expect to suffer the consequences of what he says, whether it be having his teeth knocked to the back of his throat, or simply having his name dragged through the mud. Headland is suffering the consequences of his actions (and rightly so), but so should Selwood for the vile, disgusting and criminal suggestions about a 6 year old girl who happens to be Headland's daughter.

Now, I'm not against sledging. I have encountered and engaged in it for 20 odd years in my sport. 95% of it is witty, personally insulting and at times outrageously funny. 5% of it was reprehensible and dangerously provoking. I have never resorted to such putrid thoughts or suggestions. To me, the sort of taunts like Selwood's are no better than someone king hitting a palyer from behind. It is a dead set low act that the emotional harm caused is equal to the physical harm caused by the cowardly act of a king hit IMO.

Those of you suggesting that Headland should not have reacted like he did, should also suggest that a player should not bleed if they have their nose busted.

I have no sympathy for what Selwood may be currently going through. he chose this ridiculous path, now he must walk it. I do however have sympathy for the way Headland felt after that putrid taunt.
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Post by Stocksy »

bomberdonnie wrote:
Stocksy wrote:Yeah Right, So you are of the opinion he has had a crack at his daughter are you ???
Alledgedly insinuated. (Lets not forget The CLUB & PLAYER are denying this was said...) You still didnt answer the question donnie, ARE YOU OF THE OPINION HE HAS HAD A CRACK AT HIS DAUGHTER?
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Stocksy wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:
Alledgedly insinuated. (Lets not forget The CLUB & PLAYER are denying this was said...) You still didnt answer the question donnie, ARE YOU OF THE OPINION HE HAS HAD A CRACK AT HIS DAUGHTER?
Possibly the stupidest question I have seen here.... I am not really sure why you would need me to answer it.

HAVE I SAID THAT I AM OF THE OPINION THAT HE HAS HAD A CRACK AT HIS DAUGHTER???
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Post by Stocksy »

Just sit on the fence Donnie, asked the question because unless you really thought he had given it a go with your daughter why would it even bother you?

And again this is ALLEDGEDLY said, I mean Des insinuated he would kill Selwood, unless we take it as serious threat we let it slide, if we thought he was really going to do it we would lock him up. Does Adam get a restraining order now for something said on the field?

You were more than happy to point out to Tom that most people took pedophillia serious which gave the impression that this was your thoughts.

When I said you were getting off track I was talking about the pedophillia comment, last time I heard he was being charged with sledging, not pedophillia...
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

Everyone is so precious these days. We can't legislate for good manners, Selwood will get a flogging in the court of public opinion, Dessy a few weeks cooling his heals, we can ague the toss about the appropriatness of these plenalties, but at least there are penalties involved. They all should get a life, actually.
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

I actually thought the sledge was pretty funny considering who it was about. She is a six year old girl and Selwood just did it to get under Headland's skin. Headland is just an aboslute tool to respond to the comment.
There was nothing else involved except a sledge to annoy an opponent to put him off his game. If it was something said outside of a game, okay, then i could see the Family association people could take it further, but for f*** sakes, it was during a match.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Surprise Surprise the Eagles are denying everything:

The West Coast Eagles have released a statement strongly denying the reported lewd comments by midfielder Adam Selwood during Saturday night’s game against Fremantle.

Selwood will face the AFL Tribunal tomorrow night in relation to the alleged comments directed at Fremantle’s Des Headland.

The case will be a tough one for the tribunal with a number of suggestions about potential defamation action if Selwood is found not guilty.

Interesting to see if Des takes it further outside the AFL as indicated.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

lozza89 wrote:I actually thought the sledge was pretty funny considering who it was about. She is a six year old girl and Selwood just did it to get under Headland's skin. Headland is just an aboslute tool to respond to the comment.
There was nothing else involved except a sledge to annoy an opponent to put him off his game. If it was something said outside of a game, okay, then i could see the Family association people could take it further, but for f*** sakes, it was during a match.
LOL Do we ever disagree :wink: