Paddy & Alwyn

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Paddy & Alwyn

Post by tonysoprano »

I am pretty devastated by todays performance - I'm sure everyone is - but one of the enjoyable things about it was the effort and excitement of Alwyn, and the ruck ability of Paddy.

I think Ryder in particular showed that he will probably be the best ruckmen Essendon has had since Simon Madden. Early call - big call - but gee he does look the goods.

Any thoughts?
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

100% on the money. Davey's goal and smother and 2nd and 3rd efforts were a rarity with respect to the rest of the team. I wish he could have finished it off though - he deserved to. You'd have to be proud of his efforts...a guy who haves a go and backs himself. I only wish others would take his lead. I guess ability is what you're born with though and he has plenty of it.

Ryder is a potential Brownlow medallist...his vertical leap is phenomonal.
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Ryder is very good at ground level too. Laid a beauty of a tackle right on our F50 chasing down his man.

Davey is an absolute gun. His stats don't really do him justice. He was everywhere and his second, third, fourth and fifth efforts were great to see. A lot of the senior players could take a leaf out of his book. Pity he didn't finish his good work in the pocket with a goal. That really hurt us, but the build up was great.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Ryder's probably had more taps in half an hour of rucking than Laycock has had all season. We've got real good one here....
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

What would you guys do with Ryder? I know the ruck situation is desperate, but I'm not sure if I want him to play there on a regular basis. Could he become more of an Adam Goodes type, without having to deal with the wear and tear of ruck work that has takens its toll on many careers including guys like Josh Fraser, and Jeff White?
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Start him in defence/wing, then rotate him into the ruck.

Has gone past Bradley and Laycock in everything so far. Defence and Rucking, Laycock needs to actually grow a set of testicles.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Love Ryder....love Davey...thrilled with how they're going.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Rossoneri wrote:Start him in defence/wing, then rotate him into the ruck.

Has gone past Bradley and Laycock in everything so far. Defence and Rucking, Laycock needs to actually grow a set of testicles.
He's been disappointing the Cock. Needs to step up.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robbie67 wrote:What would you guys do with Ryder? I know the ruck situation is desperate, but I'm not sure if I want him to play there on a regular basis. Could he become more of an Adam Goodes type, without having to deal with the wear and tear of ruck work that has takens its toll on many careers including guys like Josh Fraser, and Jeff White?
Ideally it would be as he is used right now. Mainly in defence, a bit of ruck and a stint up forward. If only we had a steady, consistent, in form ruckman at the club! Losing patience with Laycock, and rapidly.
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

Alwyn is quick and has the enthusiasm that I think if the whole team had, we'd be much closer to 6-0 than 3-3. I am in awe of Alwyn, just the way he breaks into a sprint with the ball, leaving the opposition players in his wake. Kinda reminds me of Boris. I just hope his speed and enthusiasm is around for a while to come. If that's the only joy in watching the Bombers, I'll take it. :)
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I'd use Ryder as the number 1 ruckman. He's tyhe only one on the list that looks any good in the ruck and he is bloody awesome. Goodes is a softcock, don't want one of him at Essendon, Fraser's career hasn't been ruined by "wear and tear", he just sucks.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

robbie67 wrote:What would you guys do with Ryder? I know the ruck situation is desperate, but I'm not sure if I want him to play there on a regular basis. Could he become more of an Adam Goodes type, without having to deal with the wear and tear of ruck work that has takens its toll on many careers including guys like Josh Fraser, and Jeff White?
I think Sheeds has got it spot on with his role his season. Play down back and learn accountable football, with an occasional run in the ruck or up forward. We must remember he could have played under 18s footy last season so this is really his 1st year of senior footy. He is going to be a gun. I think he is the best kid we have had since Lloyd came to the club in 1995. He just keeps on impressing me more and more every week. He has it all. I wouldn't trade him for any player in the comp.

Malthouse ruined Fraser. Asked him to play 1st ruck as a 17 year old. Going up against players like Salmon in his first season and getting his body belted up has stuffed him.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Can anyone tell me how Ryder did in the pre-season.

He looked a little slow at times when he played last year, he seems alot quicker not only when running but when making decisions and in general play.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

our number 1 priority at our next draft has to be a ruckman yeah?? The way paddy is going in the backline i think is just fantastic.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Staggy wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:Start him in defence/wing, then rotate him into the ruck.

He's been disappointing the Cock. Needs to step up.
Needs to rise to the occasion. :)
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

DYSON#2 wrote:our number 1 priority at our next draft has to be a ruckman yeah?? The way paddy is going in the backline i think is just fantastic.
a trade with the Lions for the kid Leuenberger.....that would be great!!!
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Funny you should say that Tom, my brother and I have been saying for weeks now that we probably should have got Luenberger instead of Gubleton - Cartledge was cut, leaving only three ruckmen, one is rubbish, another always injured and one now plays down back. And Gumbleton wasn't really required given the amount of tall forwards already on the list.

Dunno whether Brisbane would trade him, but chances are better than you'd think, given that Charman is very good and still pretty young, I beleive McDonald is having a good year and Wood looks like he'll be pretty good too and he's very young.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Jim
Top Up Player

Post by Jim »

i love paddy ryder and davey. how do you think davey shapes up compared to his brother at melbourne?
Jim