Kicking in

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Kicking in

Post by bombers_rock »

Desperately in need of a new tactic there.

We consistently kick in to the right hand side. It's become so predictable and Hawthorn knew it! Too many times we kicked into the RHS and the place was full of Hawks. Then because they were there, so were out players.

Here's another novel idea - let the opposition flood to the right. All we need is a couple of players on the left hand side, run it up the wing and deliver into Lloyd/Lucas/Johns. 3 or 4 kicks and its in our forward line and a chance for goal. We have goalkickers, we just gotta give them the opportunities to kick the goals, and what better way to hurt the opposition than to, in 3 or 4 kicks, run it out of defence and get a goal. Do it a couple of times, and we've got an instant advantage.

Seems easy to me, maybe if the boys tried it, they'd realise it is easy and do it a bit more often. Opposition scores a behind and then the ball is ours, they just don't seem to know what to do with it.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

The word 'outcoached' seems to be cropping up quite a lot in these discussions recently!?
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

in years gone by sheeds would have swung the moves to try and change the course of the game.

it was evident for a long time that hawthorn were on top of us(particularly across our half forward line).

and yet he seemed to do nothing.

(i watched the game on the telly, its never fair to judge from a tv broadcast).

seemed to me he was asleep at the wheel.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

You can't just go down one side kicking in. We couldn't just change to going to the left side as that would also become predictable. We need to vary where the ball is going to go, practise makes perfect.
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

robrulz5 wrote:You can't just go down one side kicking in. We couldn't just change to going to the left side as that would also become predictable. We need to vary where the ball is going to go, practise makes perfect.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Predictability is killing us in that department, and it stood out like a sore thumb on Saturday. The right side is predictable and teams know it. Many, many times after a behind, the Hawks flooded to the RHS. When we did go to the left with some free men floating there, we actually got somewhere.

If the opposition floods to the right, go to the left, if the opposition floods to the left, go to the right. Or better still, just bang it long and straight up the guts and see what happens. Footy is as much a mind game as a physical game. Create some uncertainty and the opposition is already on the back foot.

Seems so easy in theory, I'm sure it would work in practice.