The Official 2007 Election Thread

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I still get the feeling it is going to be very close, with some possibility of a repeat of 1969 when Labour scored more than 50% of the two party preferred, but failed (just) to get a majority of seats.

Then again, I could be wrong. It is fun to fantasize what might happen with a huge landslide to Labour, with even Howard & Costello themselves losing their seats. Can't really imagine it happening, but OMG it would be funny!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

billyduckworth wrote:I still get the feeling it is going to be very close, with some possibility of a repeat of 1969 when Labour scored more than 50% of the two party preferred, but failed (just) to get a majority of seats.

Then again, I could be wrong. It is fun to fantasize what might happen with a huge landslide to Labour, with even Howard & Costello themselves losing their seats. Can't really imagine it happening, but OMG it would be funny!
Yes, it would be like watching a comedy sketch of Abbott & Costello.
Essendunny
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Another classic. Nicholson is so spot on!
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

http://www.theage.com.au/news/federal-e ... 68983.html

Fantastic article in the Age today.

Only 12 days to go.... anyone got any thoughts?
Paul18
Top Up Player

Post by Paul18 »

Keri wrote
"No comment on what you've actually said - just wanted to say that I love the quote you've included. Relates to The Judge in Buffy, yes?"

Very close it was Spike to Adam in the 4th series.
One of the best shows on TV.
'I get why the demons all fall in line with you. You're like Tony Robbins. If he was a big scary, Frankenstein looking... You're exactly like Tony Robbins.'
Spike
Paul18
Top Up Player

Post by Paul18 »

The poles look very rock solid for the ALP.
I think centrebet has them at $ 1.36.
I'm currently trying to convince the wife to
let me go 10 grand on them and make $ 3,600.
in a day.
Do you know how long I have to work to get
$ 3,600.
It's looking like a lock to me.
'I get why the demons all fall in line with you. You're like Tony Robbins. If he was a big scary, Frankenstein looking... You're exactly like Tony Robbins.'
Spike
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

12 days to go. As Harold Wilson once famously remarked, "a week is a long time in politics". So I wouldn't put my life savings on it just yet, Paul.

My overall feeling so far is that, despite talk of increased volatility in the electorate compared with a generation ago when more than 90% of people habitually voted the same every election, no-one much has budged.

Those who believe we are ready for change have not budged. They are still going to vote Labour. They are not swallowing the scare campaign run by the Coalition - that all hell will break loose once we have the bully boy unions in charge.

On the other side, those who believe change is dangerous are not budging either. They are still going to vote for Howard, no matter how many times interest rates go up or how badly the war in Iraq is going. They are not swallowing the scare campaign run by Labour that the Libs are planning more IR changes and we will all lose our jobs.

The polls are showing a SLIGHT shift back towards the Coalition, but still Labour are well in front. Labour's "me too" policy overall seems to have been successful - there is so much similarity that it waters down the scare tactic that change is dangerous.

Of the TV ads I have seen so far, almost 100% of them have been negative, with both sides trying to scare us - "don't vote for them, they're union bullies" or "don't vote for them, they're greedy big business". Nothing positive about what they will do if elected that might benefit the country. Mostly looking back and nothing much looking forward.

So for us as voters, there are three choices. One, if you believe that unions are evil and change is scary, stick with little Johnny. Two, if you believe big business is evil and change is needed, go for Kevin 07. Three, if you think both of them are full of it, there is always the donkey vote.

In the end, the result will come down to how many take option three.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Paul18 wrote:The poles look very rock solid for the ALP.
I think centrebet has them at $ 1.36.
I'm currently trying to convince the wife to
let me go 10 grand on them and make $ 3,600.
in a day.
Do you know how long I have to work to get
$ 3,600.
It's looking like a lock to me.
It's really interesting.

All the betting agencies have them as favorite but not many actually have them as favorite in a majority of seats.

Don't invest your money yet.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

billyduckworth wrote:So for us as voters, there are three choices. One, if you believe that unions are evil and change is scary, stick with little Johnny. Two, if you believe big business is evil and change is needed, go for Kevin 07. Three, if you think both of them are full of it, there is always the donkey vote.
...Or you could sensibly cast a vote for the minor parties in both houses.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
billyduckworth wrote:So for us as voters, there are three choices. One, if you believe that unions are evil and change is scary, stick with little Johnny. Two, if you believe big business is evil and change is needed, go for Kevin 07. Three, if you think both of them are full of it, there is always the donkey vote.
...Or you could sensibly cast a vote for the minor parties in both houses.

"Go ahead - throw your vote away....."
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Staggy wrote:Image

"Go ahead - throw your vote away....."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVW3-PQ0tFU

HOMER: "Rudd and Howard are nothing but hideous space reptiles!"
KANG (RUDD): "....But what are you going to do about it? It's a two party system - you have to vote for one of us!"
JIMMY: "Well, i believe i'll vote for a 3rd party candidate!".
KANG (RUDD) & KODOS (HOWARD): "Go ahead, throw your vote away! (Evil laughter)!"
BOB BROWN: *Punches hat*.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Just because a party does not get in, that doesn't mean you have wasted your vote. If a candidate receives a certain % of the vote they get their campaign funded.

This is how parties like the greens have survived.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Sismis wrote:Just because a party does not get in, that doesn't mean you have wasted your vote. If a candidate receives a certain % of the vote they get their campaign funded.

This is how parties like the greens have survived.
This is how independents like my good self survive.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Paul18
Top Up Player

Post by Paul18 »

Well here's a tip for punters with centrebet.
Look closely at the website you google.
My account is frozen because I logged into the UK site. Under UK I have to provide proof of age.

I think I'm getting close with the wife and me 10 grand bet. She heard about Newpoll result on the radio.
You couldn't have a 10 point swing and miss the marginal could you?
I think there a kind of Rudd all over Australia.

Wasn't impressed by Howards launch.
I want to be PM
I want to be PM
Spike
Paul18
Top Up Player

Post by Paul18 »

billyduckworth wrote
"if you think both of them are full of it, there is always the donkey vote."

Noooo vote ALP and make me $ 3,600.
If I was a monkey Howard would give me half a mil.

Staggy wrote
"All the betting agencies have them as favorite but not many actually have them as favorite in a majority of seats. "

Just check centrebet has ALP fav in 78.
The margin Bolt picked.
GOD i'm afraid now.
Spike
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

I always grab a Full Senate HOW TO VOTE CARD from someone before I vote,have a good look and vote MY WAY from 1 - 60 odd.

NEVER give anyone what they want by voting 1 above the line.VOTE how you want(NOT the Party Machines),so you can say you've done your bit,the next time you complain,"They're all the bloody same!"

No,they're not,but at least your conscience is clear.Speaking of SENATE Preferences,NO SURPRISE really to see FAMILY FIRST give Pauline and Co their's,ahead of the ALP,GREENS and DEMOCRATS.

Some TWADDLE about the importance of the Greens and Democrats not getting their hands on the BALANCE OF POWER.Get your HANDS OFF it STEEEVVENN

.Just tell us how you kept the Government accountable by holding the BALANCE of POWER yourself.

Those FAMILY IMPACT STATEMENTS really made a difference,eh?Novelty wore off after 5 seconds.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Anyone see the 4 Corners story tonight that followed the opinions of 5 swinging voters in Western Sydney? Bit of an eye-opener.
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Anyone see the 4 Corners story tonight that followed the opinions of 5 swinging voters in Western Sydney? Bit of an eye-opener.
why and eye opener? what did they say?
48.2 sismis to ZRS, SIX, ???!!! Its coming towards the commentary box Im leaving!!!
48.3 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Who needs Bradman when weve got ZRS
48.4 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Brillian cover drive by ZRS
48.6 sismis to ZRS, SIX, Display of Raw power and brutality by ZRS
Paul18
Top Up Player

Post by Paul18 »

What about "I'm going to vote for Howard cause I saw him down the mall"
be afraid, very afraid these people vote.
Spike
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

So do the DANCING BEARS of the SUN KING.And their attempt to UNDULY Interfere in Eelections.More on that elsewhere.