Official 2008 (Non-Essendon) Scores and Updates Thread

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Re: Official 2008 (Non-Essendon) Scores and Updates Thread

Post by Boyler_Room »

Was just about to post that score update. Just tuned in and freaked when I saw the scores. Having said that, Ryan Gamble just kicked a goal for the Cattery a minute into the third.

Wow. Unexpected.

EDIT: And as soon as I hit post, G Ablett kicks another.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Add another to Mooney and they are pressing again.

Be the best comeback besides our own in 2001. Watch those Pies melt into nothing would be nice. Here's hoping.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Pies have kicked a couple in a row to steady the ship

Geez Cloke is playing well OUCH!!

I tell you what I love it how the cat midfield play under different rules to the rest.... Seriously you have to hold them in a tackle for an hour to get a decison against them.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

JumboPaddy wrote:Add another to Mooney and they are pressing again.

Be the best comeback besides our own in 2001. Watch those Pies melt into nothing would be nice. Here's hoping.
Back to back goals for Collingwood to Cloke and Didak. 45pts.

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Boyler_Room wrote:
JumboPaddy wrote:Add another to Mooney and they are pressing again.

Back to back goals for Collingwood to Cloke and Didak. 45pts.
add another too. :( They can win now and if they make it to September may the fall at the final hurdle yet again.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Collingwood are using our game plan tonight, only more effectively than we are... and they're smashing the Cats with it. Cloke has a midfield kicking the ball to his advantage but he's working hard.
Margin 63 points at 3QT.

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

5 minutes into the final stanza, Collingwood up by 71 points! Unless the Cats pull off some sort of miracle, Collingwood have smashed them with our gamepla, as far as I can tell... only, they're kicking the ball a little more often than we do (which is where we fall down, I think we all agree... overcooking the handball).

Make that 77 points!

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons »

It just goes to show how lucky the cats were last year, that nobody was any good to even compare to them.
I personally still don't rate them.
They've shown glimses of brilliance, but their last 4 games have been super ordinary and could've lost all of them
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Game Over

Cats lose by 86 points!!!!

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

bpdons wrote:I personally still don't rate them.
Hard to please.

They'll probably look a bit better when Ottens and Chapman back.

Every team has a downer.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Bloody hell...big surprise there. 86 points is one hell of a downer!
Hate seeing Collingwood win :|
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

bpdons wrote:It just goes to show how lucky the cats were last year, that nobody was any good to even compare to them.
They've shown glimses of brilliance, but their last 4 games have been super ordinary and could've lost all of them
you idiot.

they finished top of the ladder, they won two finals including the GF by 100+ against the side that finished 2nd on the ladder and had beaten them at Skilled Stadium.

Bomber Thompson will be quite aware that losing a game in May doesn't mean jack when you are unbeaten and will likely finish top 4.

Collingwood were absolutely outstanding tonight - and who said they wereusing our game plan tonight? Boyler! Are you kidding? We have never created that much pressure on the opposition since 2001. What did they finishwith? 80+ tackles or something? We are not even close to the intensity that Collingwood can lift to.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bpdons wrote:It just goes to show how lucky the cats were last year, that nobody was any good to even compare to them.
Robert Walls didn't rate us in 2000 either....
Essendunny
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I didnt see any resemblance to our game plan because for one they laid heaps tackle and their tackles stuck. I didnt see them running so far forward of the play that should their be a turn around then Geelong waltzed into goal by default.

Geelong were made to look quite ordinary last night. Those who think they were superior to our 2000 team can now think again. On last night's performance they would not make the GF. Their forward line did not function at all. Tom Hawkins was out of his league and Mooney has dropped off considerably. Its like his heart aint in it anymore. Ottens may return but you've got to wonder how far behind he is in terms of match hardness.

It is hard to evaluate how good Collingwood is but they did play very well last night and I think they would have given any other side in the AFL a similar beating. Should they be able re-capture that form come September they might give it a shake. Hopefully the perennial Collywobbles will ensue and stymie them again.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

MH_Bomber wrote:I didnt see any resemblance to our game plan because for one they laid heaps tackle and their tackles stuck. I didnt see them running so far forward of the play that should their be a turn around then Geelong waltzed into goal by default.

Geelong were made to look quite ordinary last night. Those who think they were superior to our 2000 team can now think again. On last night's performance they would not make the GF. Their forward line did not function at all. Tom Hawkins was out of his league and Mooney has dropped off considerably. Its like his heart aint in it anymore. Ottens may return but you've got to wonder how far behind he is in terms of match hardness.

It is hard to evaluate how good Collingwood is but they did play very well last night and I think they would have given any other side in the AFL a similar beating. Should they be able re-capture that form come September they might give it a shake. Hopefully the perennial Collywobbles will ensue and stymie them again.
There was a lot of resemblance......from Geelong. Lack of effort......fumbling.....poor options....dysfunctional forward line.....large losing margin.......it was a replica of our efforts!
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

If I didn't know the result last night and someone only told me the margin I would be thinking Geelong had another good night!
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

tonysoprano wrote:
you idiot.

they finished top of the ladder, they won two finals including the GF by 100+ against the side that finished 2nd on the ladder and had beaten them at Skilled Stadium.

Bomber Thompson will be quite aware that losing a game in May doesn't mean jack when you are unbeaten and will likely finish top 4.

Collingwood were absolutely outstanding tonight - and who said they wereusing our game plan tonight? Boyler! Are you kidding? We have never created that much pressure on the opposition since 2001. What did they finishwith? 80+ tackles or something? We are not even close to the intensity that Collingwood can lift to.
My apologies. I did mean to say that they were actually chasing, which I would suggest is part of our game plan... we just don't do it (much like the rest of the game plan).

For clarification: Run and carry, play on at all opportunities, lot of handballing to players running with. The biggest differences were that they knew when to kick the ball (whereas we usually handball one too many times and sell ourselves into trouble) and they hit targets with those kicks. They also chased hard and tackles brought opponents to ground, usually dispossessed them and resulted in a turnover, from which the above running game was implemented and ended with a score on the board.

They beat Geelong going wide early, then murdered them in the corridor. Rhyce Shaw's run through the middle and delivery inside 50 was what our side has been missing. We have players capable, we just see it so rarely.

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Two things Collingwood did extremely well (apart from the obvious):

1. They let the Geelong defenders in the backline play-on and run into trouble. This resulted in countless turnovers because the Cats always tend to back themselves and will kick to a tight contest.

2. They transferred play beautifully out of defense. They forced the cats wide with pressure and whenever the ball rebounded there were two or three Pies players running full tilt into the empty wing and into space.

Well coached team.

Sharrod Wellingham was an absolute star last night. Will get the rising star nod this week for certain.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Freo throw another game after being a few goals up in the last quarter against Carlton. Talk about no knowing how to win a game - they've thrown match-winning leads for the last 4 consecutive games.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Kepler good again. 16 touches and a goal and stepped up in the 3rd and early in the 4th. Apparently the goal he kicked was on the run and he goose stepped Judd!