Melbourne on the rebound...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Melbourne on the rebound...

Post by Gyoza »

From the Herald Sun:
Bizzell, who offered some resistance to the Tigers' onslaught and accumulated 16 disposals, said the players were "still coming to terms" with their overall performance and were desperate to make amends.

"The best thing about footy is we play Essendon next Friday night and we can rectify all this," he said.

"Our last six weeks have been pretty solid with two wins on the board (and) some really close games. Unfortunately Friday night wasn't one of them."

Immediately after the match, Daniher deflected questions about his own future, saying "the issue is about the team" and the club as a whole.

"The issue now very quickly goes to next Friday night, when we get a chance to redeem ourselves," Daniher said.
Fair chance it`s going to be Port Adelaide all over again....I hope we`re up to the task this time :|
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Honest to god, if we cant beat melbourne this week than we should forget about the remainder of the year and play the kids. If we are going to be any good this year, we must win these games.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

It's at Telstra Dome as opposed to the 'G, which is a big advantage for us. We play our best footy at the Dome yet we're ordinary at the 'G, whilst Melbourne (usually) play their best footy at the 'G but struggle at the Dome.

I'm with Ross in saying that we have to win this one if we're to push for a top 8 spot. Losing this would be a massive blow considering who we play in rounds 14-18: Geelong, Dogs, Maggots, Adelaide and Hawthorn.

This match is one of only 3 matches remaining for the year that, at this moment in time, appear a likely win for us on paper. The other 2 are vs. Carlton and Richmond. The other 7 matches are either 50/50s (e.g. vs Adelaide, Collingwood, Dogs) or tough matches that are less than 50/50 (vs. Geelong, Dawks, Freo at Subi and Eagles at Subi).
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

If we lose to Melbourne we can pretty much kiss our finals chances goodbye, as the previous posters have stated, if we are to be considered the real deal, we have to come out and smash Melb and set up the second half of the year.
stonersmate
Top Up Player

Post by stonersmate »

Yep we lose this one n we're farked. But lets have some confidence in our team we finished strongly last week, had a great 4 weeks before that, and the demons have been playing shit all year, might not even have Neitz. Shouldn't be too much trouble
red n black til i die
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Looks easy but we haven't beaten them for a while. This is a final in June!
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

its a good game for us to, to come back off a loss.

um, we are a wounded club too......
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

We have played some of the best footy since 2000 in the last month. I can't believe how soft people think we are.

We are going to absolutely SPANK Melbourne. We are coming off a dissapointing loss as well and our older boys will be pumped after the break.
Bomber_Fan
On the Rookie List

Post by Bomber_Fan »

I don't think we're going to beat Melbourne, just as I didn't think we would beat Port Adelaide last week. Hope I'm wrong...
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

So far this year we seem to have lost every time we "should" have won and won every time we "should" have lost. We MUST break this cycle and beat Melbourne this week!
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

We'll shit all over them. Don't lose any sleep over it.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Hope you're right, Megan. But it's hard to see them playing SO badly two weeks in a row.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

billyduckworth wrote:Hope you're right, Megan. But it's hard to see them playing SO badly two weeks in a row.
Same could be said for us
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

That's true. Hopefully we will be on the "rebound" too.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Melbourne won't be easy.

Robertson will be dangerous. He has kicked 4 goals in each of the last two matches against us. I think Slattery would be ideal for the job on him, he has taken on some good players this year and hasn't taken a backwards step. MJ is too small and McPhee has been beaten by Robertson a couple of times.

This is one of those games we should win on paper but we have only won one game like this all year against Richmond. Our fate is in our own hands and we must keep performing if we want to play finals. I'm still confident even after the dismal performance against Port Adelaide.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

no games are easy.

however, we have a better forward line, a better backline and a midfield which should at the very least break even with the demons.

Our deficency is in the Ruck.

If somehow laycock/ryder/bradley can be serviceable.(our achilles heel this game).

we should be able to come up with the goods.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Yze is out (no big loss going by his form this year), but he often seems to play well against us.

Travis Johnstone is injured but is some chance to play. If he misses, then we really shouldnt lose at all. We should have learnt from the game against Port what to expect.

If we are to be any good this year, we must win these games because the majority of the teams in our run home are fighting for a finals spot.

The games against against Carlton, Richmond and Melbourne are must win games.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

yer agree.

if we cannot beat Melbourne with:

Nearly a full team.(minus Hille) and a weeks break on them.(refreshed) and with a number of their stars under clouds(Neitz/Johnstone).

We do not deserve to play finals footy, simple as that.

must win for the dons.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Minimum 10 goals. This will be our biggest win in 3 years.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sismis wrote:Minimum 10 goals. This will be our biggest win in 3 years.
I'm with you. I actually think it is time for our team to stamp their authority on a game such as this. We are good at winning by 1-40 point margins, but would like to see a commanding win every so often.