No surprises really as our midfield is 0-6

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Sol
Top Up Player

No surprises really as our midfield is 0-6

Post by Sol »

I started a thread after the Adelaid win assessing our performance and noting that we should keep it in perspective.
http://www.bombertalk4.com/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

Well im not surprised at all that we are 3-3 and not looking to be the world beaters many had us for after rd 3. Put simply you cant lose centre clearences and F50 entries 6 weeks straight and expect more than 3 wins.

In fact as I indicated in my last thread and now feel vindicated we have overachieved to date due to a heroic performance from a well oiled backline and multipronged forward line while our midfield gets smashed week after week. in fact midfield is in far worse shape than any of us would like to believe and worse than even I predicted after the Adelaide game.

Every week the opposition forwards get a flood of precision delivery made possible by our midfielders (who in general cant hit the side of a barn by foot), playing a short kicking game, where the opposition floods back, opens up their forward 50 and rebounds the inevitable turnover and then rush forward in numbers. Thank our lucky stars we have Mal and Lloyd or we would cetainly be 0-6.

Im not even going to pretend I know who is responsible for the numerous contributing factors to our Midfield woes (although you would think it should be the coach), but the issues are clear to see.

1. Too many blokes who butcher the ball by foot being number one with JJ back to add another to that list. A team can and must operate with some players with deficiencies that have strenths that allow you to overlook the weaknesses but we have too many of the same type. We have a plethora of in and under hard running posession accumilators who dont have great skills and not enough with disposal skills who can get posessions. Stanton killed us on Saturday, but he is not alone, despite his clangers, his 26 touches is just one short of Monfries and Dyson combined.

2. The blokes who can kick it cant get it. Whats up with Monfries and Dyson? I have siad it before if they and Campo (Yes Campo!) dont come good we wont come good. We need these guys spotting up targets in the midfield and going forward and on the run! not stationary chip kicking we get now.

I just hope, Jetta and Houli and even Lonargan arnt simply running machines. We need some skills in this side, not just blokes who can get it and blokes who can carry it, this is AFL not rugby, kicking is an essential skill!
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

yep the essendon midfield is a problem.

it won't be fixed overnight.

The club recognised the drafting wasn't great 2002-2004, and it shows.

Dyson, Winderlich, Stanton, Watson...big questions still remain about these guys.... Stanton is a decent player, but not a top liner...would prob get a run off the bench for most other AFL sides.

Winders has great pace, but still lacks polish.

Dyson and Watson....just dunno

The good news, is the dons recruited plenty of talent....hislop, jetta, houli, these guys will get a run really soon i think.

Unrealistic pressure on our backline, gave buddy all his chances on saturday. You can't continually get smashed in centre clearances and expect to win a footy match.

just doesn't happen.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

How would you guys like a midfield of Kirk, Buchanan and Fosdike?
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

be nice.

kirk and fosdike are pretty damn handy footy players.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tom9779 wrote:be nice.

kirk and fosdike are pretty damn handy footy players.
Where's the pace and skill?
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

tom9779 wrote:yep the essendon midfield is a problem.

it won't be fixed overnight.

The club recognised the drafting wasn't great 2002-2004, and it shows.

Dyson, Winderlich, Stanton, Watson...big questions still remain about these guys.... Stanton is a decent player, but not a top liner...would prob get a run off the bench for most other AFL sides.

Winders has great pace, but still lacks polish.

Dyson and Watson....just dunno

The good news, is the dons recruited plenty of talent....hislop, jetta, houli, these guys will get a run really soon i think.

Unrealistic pressure on our backline, gave buddy all his chances on saturday. You can't continually get smashed in centre clearances and expect to win a footy match.

just doesn't happen.
Spot on
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Stanton had a bad day on Saturday. He has improved alot by foot and hopefully Saturday can be forgotten with some good performances to come.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robrulz5 wrote:Stanton had a bad day on Saturday. He has improved alot by foot and hopefully Saturday can be forgotten with some good performances to come.
:?:
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

stants lacks good disposal, fix this and we have a top shelf player
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

DYSON#2 wrote:stants lacks good disposal, fix this and we have a top shelf player

no shit. good disposal is what seperates AFL players and blokes running around playing grade footy.

I mean is he a sensational mark? no.
so he can run a bit, so can a lot of blokes running around in the magoos.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

alot of people can run abit, but they cant all find the football like stants does.. he has footy smarts and he makes very good decisions. Its just the one little thing he needs to improve.

who is our skills coach? There seems to be a fair bunch of guys that could use some kicking practice, far to many for an AFL team
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Stanton is a very good footballer with very good skills. And he showed that on Saturday.
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Post by Stocksy »

That Scarcasm Ben?

In which quarter was he showing us great skill?

If Stanton is classed as a very good footballer then it just shows how far off this side is of ever acheiving anything...
Here's to swimming with bow legged women...
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Post by Stocksy »

DYSON#2 wrote:stants lacks good disposal, fix this and we have a top shelf player
Top shelf player, just fell of my f****** chair... In which league?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Stocksy wrote:That Scarcasm Ben?

In which quarter was he showing us great skill?

If Stanton is classed as a very good footballer then it just shows how far off this side is of ever acheiving anything...
Perfect pass to Welsh - goal
Perfect 30 metre left foot kick - goal
Set shot 30 metres out - goal
Several pin point passes around the ground - I shall watch the game agin and give you the recipient of the passes if you like.

Care to name the one's that didn't hit?
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Those who think Stantons kicking has been poor this year should check out the kicking effectiveness statistic. Stanton has been one of our best this year.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

Stocksy wrote:
AFL... der
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Post by Stocksy »

The only thing Stanton has showed is that he is a time and space player.

Danstar seeing as you are bringing up the stats, how is his kicking or disposal when a player is with in a couple of metres? Saw it again Saturday, standing there and run down, just doesn't seem to have any awareness around him, and if he is not run down he has the hot potato syndrome, doesnt give a f*** how much pressure he puts the next bloke under, as long as he isnt about to get hit...
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Post by Stocksy »

DYSON#2 wrote:
Stocksy wrote:
AFL... der

der, shit my 6 year old says that to his older brother...

Top shelf player = Judd, Kerr, Voss, Hird, Richuitto (how ever you spell it), Cousins etc etc etc...

Champions of the game, I will do laps around the MCG in a pink G_String if he reaches the status of any of them above...
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

noted